Sign in to follow this  
TheFirstLine

Need advice!

Hi, sorry for the extremely lengthy post but I am in a small dilemma and need some advice/opinions on my situation. It is mainly concerning my gaming console and a company I was dealing with to get it fixed. So my PS4 suddenly stopped working awhile back and right away I knew it was a HDMI port problem because of prior knowledge and a friend having a similar issue. Please note that everything else with the PS4 was working fine, turning on was working as normal, console wasn’t making any weird noises, fairly good overall condition etc. So as I live in Calgary I could not find a suitable place that would repair my PS4 for a reasonable cost and not take too long. I decided to try a shop outside of my city which was well known, great ratings, fair price etc. 

I got in contact with them, pay $100 for the port repair and extra $30 for shipping. The PS4 arrived to their shop January 6 without any issues in transit. It was made aware to me before I shipped it out that a diagnosis of the console would be done and I would know everything soon. Just as I had anticipated it was a HDMI port issue but they would have to order the necessary parts because at the time they were out of stock, which is totally fine with me. So now this is where my experience kind of goes downhill with this company. I call in the week after hoping it would be fixed and rest assured they did replace it but told me the PS4 is still not working and that it must be the HDMI port that they installed which could be faulty because a few other consoles at the store were not working either. Again I understood and felt that these types of things do happen so I was told once again that they would order another batch of HDMI ports which could take more time. I give it another week before I call again and this time the person says we regret to inform you that we did try the new batch of HDMI ports but the issue still persists and upon further examination your PS4 has the “blue light of death” which is basically that your console will not turn on completely. At this point I’m not having it because I have waited patiently for so long and when I had sent out my PS4 it was perfectly fine other then the one issue which needed to be dealt with. I tell them that I would just like my console shipped back and no more repairs done on it. 

I finally received my console back February 19th lol total of 43 days later and in worse shape then when it was sent out. It was unclean full of dust, not turning on properly, making a loud screeching noise etc. The person I dealt with this whole time had the audacity to call me after having received my PS4 and say that he mistakingly forgot to charge me for the shipment because he sent me back the console with I guess company funds. I left him an email saying that I will not pay a penny more because I literally wasted $130 and 43 days on absolutely nothing. Yesterday took my console to a local repair shop and paid $30 for another diagnosis and they simply said it’s a motherboard matter which is beyond repairable and that I should look at buying a brand new one. To finally finish this very long rant just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. This person who I spoke to also left a voicemail saying that if I don’t pay the fee that he would have to take it out of my account without my permission. Is he legally allowed to do this? The not charging me for the shipment was his error not mine and if anything I should be receiving a refund because my ps4 is basically useless and non-repairable.

Edited by TheFirstLine

Not sure if he can legally charge you. I feel once you have had your event with a company, they shouldn't be able to go back and take money.  I have however tried to unlock a phone back in the day that costed $70, only to receive a text message saying that I have to pay $90 because he didn't know the price increased. I just denied the request. 

In your case, the situation is different. I'd compare it more to a "service check" of a vehicle, where they are checking your Ps4 for issues, which they have found, and told you it's irreplaceable. It's be different if you walked in and said "my windshield is broken, how much?" in your case you assumed an issue, which ended up being correct, but there was no set in stone diagnosis when they looked at it, so therefore you got charged. 

Clearly my advice is less advice and not exactly positive, I would say it is the unfortunate reality, along with bad customer service, of sending it to a third-party company to get repaired. 

Tell your bank you lost your credit card and have them send you a new replacement.

Then proceed to call the guy back and tell him to suck it! 

• Upvote 3

Did you sign anything to indicate that you agreed to pay for the shipping?  If not, they cannot charge you.  If they do, you simply do a chargeback.  Without a signature, the card company would rule in your favour.

In fact, if the entire experience was as you described, I would do a chargeback on the entire thing.

unfortunately I do think you are on the hook for all the charges and you did ask them to send it back. It doesn't sound like you had any sort of contract on what they were supposed to do, e.g., try a cheaper board diagnostic before trying a more costly repair. Chalk it up to experience, next time write out a more detailed email of the steps you want them to take and to notify you before incurring charges. It doesn't sound like they did anything you didn't ask them to and they were not wrong, your machine was toast. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

unfortunately I do think you are on the hook for all the charges and you did ask them to send it back. It doesn't sound like you had any sort of contract on what they were supposed to do, e.g., try a cheaper board diagnostic before trying a more costly repair. Chalk it up to experience, next time write out a more detailed email of the steps you want them to take and to notify you before incurring charges. It doesn't sound like they did anything you didn't ask them to and they were not wrong, your machine was toast. 

Good advice.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Good advice.  

at least it wasn't a kitchen reno. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

at least it wasn't a kitchen reno. 

So true.  I bet everyone of us, has (at one point) learned a very similar lesson to this - clearly young - OP.  Mine was with getting my first car painted.  I really didn't want it to come out PURPLE!  :lol:

• Hydration 1

My advice is throw your gaming console made for 6 year olds into the garbage, get a life and start dating wild chicks

2 hours ago, canucker1971 said:

My advice is throw your gaming console made for 6 year olds into the garbage, get a life and start dating wild chicks

Wait till you find a girl willing to feed you pizza and give you a bj while your playing call of duty. 

• Like 1

In situations like this or any situation, I'm very direct, and will tell them how it is, and if things don't go well, it's a face-to-face conversation, and the end result always goes my way.

Oh wait, 99% of the time.  I was on the phone with Ikea once for 1 1/2 hours due to them not honoring a credit. I was very direct with them and professional, but they would not honor it, when they advised they would.  I will never do online shopping with them again! 

Edited by brilac

Call your bank or credit card (whichever you used for the service) and tell them that you do not authorize any further charges from said company. They should then block any requests for the shipping monies... They could try to take you to court for the money but $30 is definitely not worth the time and money it would take. 

What method of payment do you use? I hope it is credit card or Paypal.

I normally don't advise this but I would call your credit card/payment method and file a chargeback against this company. I would dispute the full amount and threaten them with damages for further ruining your console.

Go out and buy a Sega or snes with nhl 94. The consoles are easy to find and that's the only game you need. 

• Upvote 1