The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] James Van Riemsdyk possibly on trade block

Babcock: Leafs torn between keeping, trading Van Riemsdyk

As the NHL trade deadline approaches, there's uncertainty in Toronto as to whether forward James van Riemsdykwill remain with the Maple Leafs for the balance of the regular season and into the playoffs.

The 28-year-old winger can become an unrestricted free agent July 1, and the Leafs have to decide whether to flip him prior to the deadline or hold on and allow him to hit the open market in the offseason.

For head coach Mike Babcock, the situation isn't cut and dry.

"I don't think anything is an easy decision," Babcock said Tuesday after a 1-0 win over Florida in which van Riemsdyk scored the lone goal. "We've talked about this a bunch, you always have this plan but your plan can always change.

"It depends on what people want. There's lots of times you're going through and not planning on doing anything and you end up doing something. We don't really know, in the end, what's available and what we could pursue either."

The game-winner gave Van Riemsdyk 25 goals, putting him on pace for a new career high. He's averaging only 14:35 of ice time, though, his lowest as a Maple Leaf. On top of that, Toronto is allowing 34.2 shots per game, and could certainly use help on the blue line.

At the end of the day, Babcock believes general manager Lou Lamoriello will do whatever he deems to be in the best interest of winning.

"The way I look at it is, instead of worrying about that stuff, you just keep playing good and give ourselves the best opportunity," he said. "Then, whatever is best for our team, Lou will do."

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1490137

Despite needing help on the blue line, I don't think they should trade him this season.  They need to win with offense, there's no guarantee the defender they'd get in return is going to have chemistry.  Their success this season is coming from offense, in my opinion, with four 20 goal scorers thus far, their best chance to have a run is keeping the offense going.  I don't think the's the right fit here at the moment regardless. 

23 minutes ago, brian42 said:

it would have to include a contract extension for JVR and still not quite enough for Tanev.  

Possibly Tanev and Vanek 

for 

JVR (extension included) and LIljegren 

What about

Tanev and Granlund for JVR, Liljegren, and a conditional 2nd? Two conditions on it. We get the 2nd if JVR doesn’t re-sign with us, or, it turns into a 1st if the Leafs make the ECF. 

i'm confused

people actually want to offer anything for jvr?

why .. we are not heading for the playoffs

and laffs are looking to move him cuz he is ufa

why not just wait to sign him in the offseason

as so many suggest for kane

jvr as a free agent .....maybe

jvr as a pending ufa that we pay assets for... never!

The Canucks have already said they want to keep Tanev to mentor Juolevi next season. I don't think he's going anywhere this season.

They just re-signed Gudbranson and really seem to like him, so I imagine he'll be staying for the immediate future.

The Canucks did say they were looking for a top 6 physical forward, which Van Riemsdyk is. I wonder if they'll make a trade offer for him. They did mention the possibility of trading a skilled player (Goldobin?)

TOR wants a r-shot D to help them in the playoffs. Tanev and Gudbranson would be the only two players they'd be interested in, I would think. Unless they have their eye on Stecher?

JVR possibly on the trade block. Half of the NHL is possibly on the trade block. How is this news or a rumour?

If the Leafs are serious about a playoff push, they do not trade JVR even at the risk of losing him in the off season. When do playoff contenders sell their players especially to other buyers trying to beat you in the playoffs?

Archived