The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] James Van Riemsdyk possibly on trade block

3 hours ago, Jackalman said:

I’m my opinion, Toronto would have to do better than that. Add there first, or maybe a second this year and next. 

You want a team to spend 2 first round picks on a player who is on pace to play 50-55 games for the 2nd consecutive year? Sounds great but I wouldn’t pay that for tanev if I were them

6 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

That's the thing -- trades have to make sense for both sides.  We aren't here to do them any favours, undoubtedly they could find a contender to take JVR and put him to good use.  Indeed, trade him FIRST, then they may have some assets to flip that we want in return.  That way it also doesn't look like they're giving up a big portion of their own future assets (even though their "rebuild is done").

So are they giving any substance, like evidence of actual conversations taking place and what's being considered as on the table, or is it pure morning-talk conjecture and speculation?  Twitterverse appears silent.

That is actually a good idea. However, it could be more difficult for Lou to make two trades to get Tanev and so is just trying to make a deal with Benning.

The only regular that I basically pay attention to is Auld. No, it was one of their guests yesterday. I think it was Farhan Lalji, who said that the Leaves were pushing hard for Tanev. I wish I could find AM 650's archives so I don't have to rely or depend on my memory.

JVR for Tanev would be OK but there would have to be more for the Canucks.  JVR is a good player and an upgrade at LW but he's already 28 and is a UFA this summer.

There could be a deal but I would expect the Canucks to push for more and I'm not sure what the Leafs would want to offer in addition to JVR.  Kapanen?  Liljegren?  A few high picks?

JVR could help the Canucks stay competitive but unless the Leafs add pieces that help the Canucks in the future also, I can't see a deal being made.

3 hours ago, billabong said:

You want a team to spend 2 first round picks on a player who is on pace to play 50-55 games for the 2nd consecutive year? Sounds great but I wouldn’t pay that for tanev if I were them

Yes. Or a first and 2 seconds. If they don’t want to pay it, too bad for them. We Keep tanev and see what someone will pay at the draft or next tdd. Or trade him somewhere else. I’m not interested in doing Toronto any favours. Would like to get liljegren though. But he is not a sure thing. Tanev is. He is injury prone but you know what he is, and he is exactly what Toronto needs. So pay up, or #%$& off. 

On 2/21/2018 at 2:23 PM, N7Nucks said:

Yeah it doesn't make much sense for us to make this deal, as it would just give us a forward asset in his prime kinda wasting away on a rebuilding team. The forward version of Tanev. Lol.

Not to mention van Riemsdyk's contract expires this season whereas Tanev's is longer term, so we're taking more of the risk in the end in my opinion.

Archived