The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Marc Bergevin Has Been Shut Down By Geoff Molson After Making Another Bad Trade

fivethej

Assuming this true is he finally getting fired and that it took him trading Jakub Jerabek as last straw.

https://news.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/nhl-gm-has-been-shut-down-by-owner-after-another-bad-trade

A National Hockey League general manager has reportedly just been handcuffed by his owner and will not be making any more significant trades for his current organization according to a former NHL player. 

During a segment on 91,9 Sports radio in Montreal, former Montreal Canadiens enforcer Georges Laraque revealed that a very reliable source has informed him that Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin has been effectively shut down by owner Geoff Molson, seemingly indicating that the owner has finally lost confidence in his controversial GM.

According to Laraque his source is an NHL player agent with knowledge of the situation, and Laraque even hinted at the fact that his information may have come directly from an agent with multiple Montreal Canadiens' players under contract. Again a sign that those within the organization are quickly losing face in the leadership of Bergevin, and perhaps for good reasons. 

Perhaps even more interesting from Laraque is the fact that he now says that the Canadiens will not be trading captain Max Pacioretty due to the fact that ownership simply does not have the confidence that his general manager will be able to get a quality deal if he does indeed move the star winger in a deal. 

The news is very surprising indeed given the fact that it seemed readily apparent that Pacioretty would in fact be traded prior to the NHL trade deadline, and there were even reports that people from within Pacioretty's camp fully expected the trade to happen in the days leading up to the deadline. 

With this news coming down today one has to wonder if it's simply a mere coincidence that this news has started to leak after the latest trade from Bergevin has once again resulted in major backlash against the organization. Both vitriolic and angry messages have been pouring in from the Canadiens fan base this morning despite the fact that the Canadiens only made a relatively minor trade deal. 

For those who missed it, Bergevin traded 26-year-old defensive prospect Jakub Jerabek to the Washington Capitals in exchnage for just a fifth round draft pick, not much of a return at all. The issue for fans doesn't seem to be so much the fact that the Canadiens got very little in return on the deal, but rather that some other players weren't traded ahead of Jerabek who had shown some positive signs in limited play with the Canadiens.

Many feel that David Schlemko, another player that Bergevin acquired via a trade with the Las Vegas Golden Knights, should have been the first man up on the chopping block, and some view the decision not to move him instead as Bergevin refusing to acknowledge his previously erroneous trades.

In fact the trade of Jakub Jerabek would likely have made barely a ripple were it not for the number of mistakes already being attributed to the incompetence of the Canadiens front office, but it seems that patience from one of the most rabid fan bases in the entire league has finally run it's course. 

Lastly we will leave you with some of the reactions from the Montreal media surrounding this most recent deal from the Habs.

well even if georgie boy is not a reliable source

surely ownership needs to step in

bergevin appeared to be building a younger credible team

and then did a series of bad trades

which has left montreal with a crappy team and not much hope moving forward

it's a mess there

his 2 big trades have turned out rather ugly for montreal

nashville is way too happy with their return..

and yzerman just can't stop laughing at what he got for unloading a malcontent canadian french dude

oh and that price contract.. good god . why why why ? did they learn nothing from the luongo deal ?

and this one is worse

27 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Georges Laraque is not a reliable source (not faulting the OP). He is just a guy desperate to be in the spotlight. Not saying this isn't true, just that Georges Laraque is unlikely to have any "inside source".

That was my first reaction when I saw the source too.

9 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Getting rid of all his Russians and African Americans, the Slovaks are next.  Bring in more francophones Marc it seems to be doing you very well

Emelin, Markov, Radulov, Sergachev, Jerabek, Smith-Pelley, Subban.  No GM should be tossing away defenceman like this guy is, it's a travesty and I imagine he is on extremely thin ice.

Not that I disagree with your premise, but Devante Smith-Pelly is a right winger.

Also, I'd wait until someone more credible than Georges Laraque posts about this, but it honestly wouldn't shock me if they're run out of patience with Bergevin.

Don't know who Hockeyfeed.com is but they seem to be saying that the fans have prompted Molson to make this move. The article states "The issue for fans doesn't seem to be so much the fact that the Canadiens got very little in return on the deal, but rather that some other players weren't traded ahead of Jerabek who had shown some positive signs in limited play with the Canadiens".............so now the most important part of a GM's job is the order in which players get traded going into the TDL?

This just smells of a wild media story to me.

Bergevin staying in charge this long is a miracle. PK Subban gone, then immediately after that they need a puck moving defensemen. Sergachev also gone, what they got back wasn't a puck moving d-man or a legit centerman. Radulov let go was a bit of a head scratcher. Also not sure why they let go of Beaulier, everyone was gonna lose someone in that draft, take your hit. Otherwise now you are short on two assets. 

8 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Emelin, Markov, Radulov, Sergachev, Jerabek, Smith-Pelley, Subban.  No GM should be tossing away defenceman like this guy is, it's a travesty and I imagine he is on extremely thin ice.

Thing is Bergevin prides himself on D. He stated at start of this season Habs D this yr was better then last season. He actually said that.

2 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Also, I'd wait until someone more credible than Georges Laraque posts about this, but it honestly wouldn't shock me if they're run out of patience with Bergevin.

Bergevin has been there almost 7 yrs and failed to acquire #1C or address the scoring issue. Habs potentially could had top 3 D of Weber, Sergachev, Markov. He's so arrogant in how he speaks and conducts business including when he made a smart ass remark about Radulov leaving saying "If you want loyalty buy a dog".

All the excuses he's used:

"It's all on me"

"So hard to make trades"

"We have everything we need in locker room"

"We didn't win our division by accident. These things take time"

Not to mention he's sitting on $8 Million or so cap space but hasn't used it. Habs will have approx $20 Million cap space and he along with Molson have been acting like they will land Tavares.

Archived