The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] ARI trades Tobias Reider and Scott Wedgewood to LAK for Darcy Kuemper

Adarsh Sant

23 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand John Chayka trades. The genius is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of advanced stats most of the improvements will go over a typical fan's head.

I saw this and I thought I saw this some where else

All I will say on advanced states is this, I completely understand the math and I believe in them BUT and a Hugh But it doesn't work with a crappy team. I will explain If you take Tanev and you put him on a crappy team his stats get worse your team gets a bit better this is due to the fact that advance stats must include the 5 players on the ice at the time all the time. Hutton Edler or any dman stats get better playing with Tanev. Tanev does not change because his stats are already set to Canucks roster with Hutton it is even more increased cause he has not played on the Canucks as long as a guy like Edler. I call it the Bieska effect He played with Mitchel And Hamhuis so long that he look like a great dman with out him and kind of like Edler with Tanev you start to see the Mistakes that are made and they look worse when not paired with one of these guys. 

If we where to trade Tanev it would be best for a gm with a good defensive team that would actual gain the most from bringing Tanev on it would make their team great. A great defensive team would only have a marginal difference.

Thus, this trade is bad cause you bring a good goalie to a bad team it is a cam Talbot situation. The Goalie gets worse. 

• 5 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I saw this and I thought I saw this some where else

All I will say on advanced states is this, I completely understand the math and I believe in them BUT and a Hugh But it doesn't work with a crappy team. I will explain If you take Tanev and you put him on a crappy team his stats get worse your team gets a bit better this is due to the fact that advance stats must include the 5 players on the ice at the time all the time. Hutton Edler or any dman stats get better playing with Tanev. Tanev does not change because his stats are already set to Canucks roster with Hutton it is even more increased cause he has not played on the Canucks as long as a guy like Edler. I call it the Bieska effect He played with Mitchel And Hamhuis so long that he look like a great dman with out him and kind of like Edler with Tanev you start to see the Mistakes that are made and they look worse when not paired with one of these guys. 

If we where to trade Tanev it would be best for a gm with a good defensive team that would actual gain the most from bringing Tanev on it would make their team great. A great defensive team would only have a marginal difference.

Thus, this trade is bad cause you bring a good goalie to a bad team it is a cam Talbot situation. The Goalie gets worse. 

Interesting thing is that I also explained why a crappy team must do a complete tear down because adding a piece or to can never work it will never make you good. you need to do a complete rebuild. This is why I believe we need to move on from the Sedins and Edler if we can. Furthermore people say we need vets to teach the youth I would say this could hinder the youth development what do you learn from Daniel Sedin hooking a player in OT and getting a penalty all I see is two guys past their prime.

47 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

There’s also John's genius outlook, which is deftly woven into his hockey dealings - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Moneyball literature, for instance. True fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these moves, to realise that they’re not just smart - they say something deep about HOCKEY. As a consequence people who dislike Chayka truly ARE idiots.

[Yeah, I'm just goofing around, dude's a trash GM]

I got a chuckle out of this! Haha thanks for this bananamash

It's ironic listening to gaggles of 'analytics' guys wonder wtf Benning is doing every time he lifts a beer.

But have you ever hear them own the two complete gongshows that have resulted from going "full-analytics".  

Never go full 'analytics'.   It leads to trading 7th overall picks for Stepans in the midst of a 're-what?'  Analyze that.

It's right up there with going full-Coiler.  But the Coil at least don't trade their high picks until after they've wrecked them.

(Sarcasm.  There is no way around analysis.  But how analytical are 'analytics'?  Analytics are only as good as the analyst.)

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

But have you ever hear them own the two complete gongshows that have resulted from going "full-analytics".  

Never go full 'analytics'.

1 hour ago, BananaMash said:

There’s also John's genius outlook, which is deftly woven into his hockey dealings - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Moneyball literature, for instance. True fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these moves, to realise that they’re not just smart - they say something deep about HOCKEY. As a consequence people who dislike Chayka truly ARE idiots.

Have you two met? :lol: 

Coyotes acquire Darcy Kuemper from Kings for Tobias Rieder, Scott Wedgewood

By Craig Morgan | February 21, 2018 at 4:55 pm
UPDATED: February 21, 2018 at 7:16 pm
ap_b731f84cb7a04a09bdd5fcafda72f52d-620x370.jpg

Arizona Coyotes right wing Tobias Rieder, center, of Germany, is congratulated after his goal by center Derek Stepan, front, and left wing Brendan Perlini in the first period of an NHL hockey game against the Colorado Avalanche, Wednesday, Dec. 27, 2017, in Denver. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)

The first domino of the Coyotes trade deadline plan fell on Wednesday afternoon. Arizona traded forward Tobias Rieder and backup goalie Scott Wedgewood to the Los Angeles Kings for goalie Darcy Kuemper.

Kuemper was set to become an unrestricted free agent, but Coyotes general manager John Chayka said the sides were working on a two-year extension that a source told Arizona Sports would carry an average annual value of $1.85 million.

Kuemper, 27, had 15 starts in 19 games for the Kings this season, going 10-1-3 with a 2.10 goals against average and a .932 save percentage. In 121 games with Minnesota and L.A., he has a 51-25-17 record with a 2.52 goals against average and a .913 save percentage.

This year’s save percentage is by far the best of his career. Chayka believes that comes from Kuemper reaching goaltending maturity, but Kuemper also handed out some credit.

“I had some really good work with the goalie coach in L.A., Bill Ranford, who really helped me find my game and tweak it to the point where I felt really comfortable just going out and playing.

“The main things have been ice awareness, getting my looks in, and narrowing down my stance a little bit to allow myself to move a little bit more freely in there.”

Chayka said the move is unrelated to the team’s negotiations with starter Antti Raanta. The team still plans to make every effort to re-sign Raanta, but Chayka wanted more.

“The logic is that our team, when we’ve gotten consistent, quality goaltending, has played very well,” Chayka said. “For us, this gives us two very good goaltenders that we feel confident can do an above-average job at stopping the puck.”

Coyotes starting goalies did not play more than 55 games the past two seasons and Raanta has played just 35 of the team’s 59 games this season due to injuries.

“I think you need two goalies now to win in this league,” Chayka said. “Antti is one and now we feel like we’ve got the second.”

Rieder can become a restricted free agent after this season. He had a career-high 16 goals last season and a career-high 37 points the season before, but he had eight goals and 19 points in 58 games this season.

Rieder was a favorite of former coach Dave Tippett, but it was clear new coach Rick Tocchet was not as enamored of his play. He was a healthy scratch for the first time this year on Feb. 6 against the Winnipeg Jets.

Tocchet said he wanted more from Rieder.

“It’s not so much his scoring,” Tocchet said. “He’s got to get inside the dots. He just hasn’t really done much.”

Two seasons ago, Rieder endured protracted contract talks before signing a two-year contract with an average annual salary of $2.225 million during training camp. His agent, Derrin Ferris, said Wednesday that a fresh start would be good for Rieder.

“Yes, it was needed,” Ferris said. “This trade is good for Tobi and the Coyotes. Tobi loved his time in Arizona.”

The Coyotes acquired Wedgewood on Oct. 28 for a 2018 fifth-round pick after backups Louis Domingue struggled and was subsequently waived. In 20 games, Wedgewood went 5-9-4 with a 3.45 goals against average and a .893 save percentage.

Kuemper is expected to join the team at its morning skate on Thursday before it faces the Calgary Flames at Gila River Arena.

With five days remaining before the Feb. 26 trade deadline, Chayka reiterated a long-held stance that he doesn’t expect any major moves before the deadline, but he is always willing to listen.

“We have some players on our roster that I can’t fathom a team making an offer that would make sense for us to entertain moving them,” Chayka said. “We think we’ve got a good young group. We think we have some really good veteran leadership, proven winners, guys that add a lot of value to our team and our group and help out our younger players.

“In that sense, I’m not trying to derail anything or change course. Our vision continues to remain the same. It’s my job to be disciplined and really dedicated to what we’re trying to accomplish and do here. To make any large-scale moves to drastically alter our course are not a part of my plans.”

1 hour ago, darinbadershouldamadeit said:

“The logic is that our team, when we’ve gotten consistent, quality goaltending, has played very well,” Chayka said. “For us, this gives us two very good goaltenders that we feel confident can do an above-average job at stopping the puck.”

This guy must be awesome to talk to.

"Welcome to the team. Please be above-average. We expect you to be above-average, that's all. Cheers."

Dude needs to know people don't think in numbers and if you call an athlete just above average, it's like saying they're barely making it.

10 minutes ago, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

I find it sad that the 09-10 team had less high potential players then the current and managed 50 wins with the likes of Ilya and Jason Labarbera.... if that's not a telling sign that John needs to be let go I don't know anymore what will determined a gms dismissal. 

Arizona misses coach Tippet big time.

Archived