The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Senators open to trading Karlsson ahead of deadline

Roberts

Erik Karlsson's time as a member of the Ottawa Senators could be near an end, as the team is reportedly open to the idea of trading the captain ahead of the deadline, according to TSN's Bob McKenzie.

"The reality is Ottawa Senators general manager Pierre Dorion has been, and still is, engaged in some level of trade dialogue for Karlsson with multiple NHL teams, certainly more than a half-dozen," wrote McKenzie.

McKenzie notes that to the best of his knowledge, the team has not received any formal offers for Karlsson, and in conversations about him, Dorion has laid out the defenseman's potential price.

That asking price is reportedly between five and seven pieces, a package that McKenzie says would include "some combination of good, young roster players, top prospects, and first-round picks."

The Senators have reportedly also informed teams that landing Karlsson would require fewer notable pieces if their trade partner took on Bobby Ryan's contract as well.

A deal for Karlsson would be more than just a rental, as the two-time Norris Trophy winner is under contract through next season at a cap hit of $6.5 million.

The 27-year-old is having a down year by his standards, with five goals and 41 points in 53 games this season, but still sits tied for seventh in scoring among all defensemen - and second in scoring for Ottawa, behind forward Mark Stone.

Advertisement

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1490416-report-senators-open-to-trading-karlsson-ahead-of-deadline

Karlsson should have a few more years left of elite hockey, but I think Ottawa is better off with getting some big pieces for the future. They can definitely build around Duchene, Chabot, Hoffman, and Stone.

A trade of a few first round picks and prized prospects should set them up for the next 5-10 years.

My guess he gets traded at the draft. At that time he will have a year left on his contract and team can pre negotiate an extension. We would be in a bidding war. I cant see how we can afford the assets. The only thing I could see is if we don't win the draft lottery and we are open to trading our first pick. Or trade the pick, lottery protected.

Well of course, they can't be open to trading him AFTER the deadline......??? (unless they wait till the off season), but I think it's already known that the Sens may trade him. Kypreos commented that he expects Karlsson to be traded within the week. Be funny if OTT and LA just did a switch.

Karlsson for Doughty lol

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

If we get a 5-10 pick I can see us offering a package including Tanev and the pick.  My preference would be to draft Bouchard or Dobson at that point.

Exactly. If we end up in that 5 to 10 spot I could see that in a package for EK. 

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Guess I'm blind.

Realized what I did there. Been a long day. Lol. 

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Guess I'm blind.

Realized what I did there. Been a long day. Lol. I will crack a Pil here before I write anymore . 

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

If we get a 5-10 pick I can see us offering a package including Tanev and the pick.  My preference would be to draft Bouchard or Dobson at that point.

Tanev and a pick is only going to be pennies compared to what other teams will involved. It is certainly going to cost something that the fanbase will hate. It's not every day that a world class Dmen is available.

16 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Tanev and a pick is only going to be pennies compared to what other teams will involved. It is certainly going to cost something that the fanbase will hate. It's not every day that a world class Dmen is available.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Didn't say just those 2. A package including those assets. Perhaps I should of explained myself better.

Last I heard Dorion say there was no way he was trading Karlsson.  Bobby Mac is perhaps the most reliable source however.  Dorion needs to make his mind up.

My opinion?  Sometimes having a huge salary on the books can limit what a team can do with the rest of the team.  Chicago may be the most glaring example with 2 salaries north of $10M.  Edmonton will shortly have $21M tied up in 2 players which will hurt their rebuild.  Dorion could also set his team up for the future with the haul he could get for Karlsson (now that he has a 2nd line centre :picard:)

100% opposed to giving up our future to get him.  You're looking at EP, Tanev, and our 1st and teams will still outbid us.  We don't have the organizational depth to make this kind of move yet.

Sens will get more for him at the deadline than at the draft as teams will have 2 playoff runs with him at a very reasonable caphit.

13 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

100% opposed to giving up our future to get him.  You're looking at EP, Tanev, and our 1st and teams will still outbid us.  We don't have the organizational depth to make this kind of move yet.

Sens will get more for him at the deadline than at the draft as teams will have 2 playoff runs with him at a very reasonable caphit.

Not to mention the amount of space Ottawa will have to retain salary. No way Canucks can afford.

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Can you see the Sens GM asking for 

EP, Tanev, 1st, Boeser, and a 2nd. 

9 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Can you see the Sens GM asking for 

EP, Tanev, 1st, Boeser, and a 2nd. 

They can ask all they want, and of course they will start high. But if I am the Canucks management and they go that ridiculous I counter with Tanev and a 2nd just to be ridiculous back. No way Boeser gets dealt for anything not named McDavid, EP won't get traded either unless its more of a straight up deal for a young but more proven guy, but that is not likely at all. Our first also is untouchable unless it is #1 protected. 

If they're smart they're looking at NYI right now for either pre deadline or post playoffs before the draft

Barzal, Pulock, (bad contract like Ladd or Clutterbuck) CGY and NYI 2018 first and 2019 NYI 2nd for Karlsson and...say Zack Smith or Mark Stone?

I know people will say I am out to lunch but it's about the cost of netting a Karlsson and half the reason we NEED Dahlin because you don't trade for a 70 point defenceman and it's unlikely to see 1 piece moving in one direction alone with a Karlsson trade

Archived