The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Senators open to trading Karlsson ahead of deadline

Roberts

1 minute ago, rekker said:

EK to Tampa makes sense. They have the ammo to make a pitch. If I am JB I talk to Stevie Y and ask about a 3 way trade. Ottawa needs to dump Ryan. Ryan goes to Tampa then directly to us with incentives. IE Sergachev, or Foote. Picks etc. I see Stevie Y dangling his first and Kucherov to Ottawa. Kuch is due a huge raise. Huge. It may be in Tampas best interest to move him now. I can't see how they can afford Hedman, Kuch, Stamkos, EK, Vaselefsky down the road. 

Can Tampa afford to re-sign EK though?  They have (maybe?) too many guys, who deserve big money to fit him in.  He would be a very expensive rental for only 2 playoffs.  Then again, it's about winning Cups, and they could win back-to-back, and then just let EK walk as a UFA.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Can Tampa afford to re-sign EK though?  They have (maybe?) too many guys, who deserve big money to fit him in.  He would be a very expensive rental for only 2 playoffs.  Then again, it's about winning Cups, and they could win back-to-back, and then just let EK walk as a UFA.  

Yzerman got Stamkos for less than $12 million which was his rumoured requests and demands.  He got him for $8 million.

I think if there's anyone in the league that could capably get Karlsson for less than $10 million it's Yzerman.  He could very very easily dangle a cup in front of him within 3-5 years with the team he has assembled.  He has some amazing players under some very choice contracts not needing a raise for a few seasons and by then the cap raise will mitigate a large part of a $8.5 to $9.5 million contract.

A team with 2 Norris calibre #1 defensemen, 2 richard calibre forwards and 3 Hart calibre forwards with a Vezina calibre goalie is a cup threat year in and year out.  Karlsson could sign a 3 year deal and cash the hell in afterwards with 3 solid shots at a cup.

I don't doubt for a second Yzerman could pull it off.  But in no way shape or form does he take back a Ryan

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Sure, we can help!

Ryan + Ottawa 2nd to Vancouver for 7th 2020

3 way? Something like:

To VAN - Ryan, Foote, TBL's and OTT's 2nds

To TBL - Karlsson, Vanek

To OTT - Hutton, and a bunch of TBL prospects and their late 1st

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think they can afford him if Kuch goes back to Ottawa in the deal. That leaves Stamkos, Hedman, EK, as the big money guys. Just spit balling.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

3 way? Something like:

To VAN - Ryan, Foote, TBL's and OTT's 2nds

To TBL - Karlsson, Vanek

To OTT - Hutton, and a bunch of TBL prospects and their late 1st

No way i want Ryan at 7.5 for however many years left. If they retained 2.5, then i would be interested. 

8 minutes ago, KKnight said:

No way i want Ryan at 7.5 for however many years left. If they retained 2.5, then i would be interested. 

Yeah, that contract is GD awful :lol:

I was actually considering editing my post with something to that effect. ANyway, it was more of a loose outline plus I'm guessing TBL would need to shed some salary somewhere as well. Something 'around' that could work though.

Important to note that Ryan has a 10 team no trade list according to capfriendly . 4 years at 7.5 mil is a steep price though but I could see it working out as it expires around the time where Pettersson, Dahlen, Juolevi, This year's first rounder and Gaudette ELCs expire so we could theoretically retain our young studs without entering cap hell.

Depends on what OTT / TB or whoever Karlsson goes to has to offer for us to take on Ryan's deal. That is if Ryan would come to Vancouver in the first place of course

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

If they're rebuilding it's not like they'll need the capspace.  If anything, they might need his contract to reach the floor soon.

We already have Eriksson. No need to have Ryan eating 7.5 for 4 years. We will need to resign Boeser, Juolevi, Demko, Gaudette, Pettersson within that time frame. 

To take on Ryans cap hit... what would Ottawa be left with? let's assume its TB and we take Ryan, which I seriously doubt, but let's say we do. If you're taking on 7.5m in cap/salary for the next 3 years that is worth at least a mid-first which Ottawa nor Tampa have. So I'd imagine any team who took on Ryan would want a First from Tampa and a prospect such as Cal Foote. What does that leave Ottawa? Namestnikov/Johnson + Katchoouk? That isn't a great return but I guess if you're getting rid Ryan it's decent.

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

To take on Ryans cap hit... what would Ottawa be left with? let's assume its TB and we take Ryan, which I seriously doubt, but let's say we do. If you're taking on 7.5m in cap/salary for the next 3 years that is worth at least a mid-first which Ottawa nor Tampa have. So I'd imagine any team who took on Ryan would want a First from Tampa and a prospect such as Cal Foote. What does that leave Ottawa? Namestnikov/Johnson + Katchoouk? That isn't a great return but I guess if you're getting rid Ryan it's decent.

Exactly. Ryan has a real negative value contract. Brutal really. Only positive with that contract is the relatively short term. 

1 hour ago, KKnight said:

I think edm should offer Lucic for Ryan +.  He's a tad faster isn't he?  Plus he's had success in the Pacific. Extra term left tho.

Draistil McDavid Ryan looks decent. He might get revived with an opportunity with McDavid.

1 hour ago, KKnight said:

We already have Eriksson. No need to have Ryan eating 7.5 for 4 years. We will need to resign Boeser, Juolevi, Demko, Gaudette, Pettersson within that time frame. 

Eriksson (4), Ryan (4), Sutter (3), and Gudbranson (3) will all be coming off at about the time we need to start re-upping, plus Edler next year and Tanev the year after.  Not to mention all those contracts are structured so they will be easy to trade in the final years.  Boeser will be extended in the next year, and the others haven't even arrived yet, plus they may just get bridge deals after their ELCs. 

We're in very good shape cap-wise.

Archived