The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Edler still not interested in waving NTC

Adarsh Sant

He's been asked multiple times, so why would anyone expect anything different.

He earned the NTC, his family is here and he's having his best PPG production in 5 years. 

He has been a rock on our productive PP1, is on our #1 shutdown pairing. He's also had a huge impact on Stecher's development that we're all raving about.

Sure he has his moments and off games, but overall I'm glad he sticks around to help our young D.

40 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

so a new gm can ask loui to reduce his annual salary payment and term? get real

you just want to cherry pick terms

that is nutso

nhlpa would not agree to your suggestion

what do you think a contract is anyway ?

My comments were about whether GMs should be allowed to ask players to waive their NTCs. I never made any mention of whether the league should allow contracts to be restructured.

It's something the NFL allows, but I can't see the NHLPA agreeing to it.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Let's appreciate him & Gud seem to be a decent combo. If that were to continue, I'd say it's wise to consider extending next yr(albeit cheaper) !

Edler is my favourite player on the nucks so I hope he stays. That being said Dhailwhal A much better source since he is hooked up with all the agents. Said today, that his camp has been quiet for the last 48 hours Very unlike his camp. leading to the speculation that his POV might have changed.

it is a simple issue.  if a team really offered Van something they couldn't say no to they would approach Elder and tell him we want to move on, and of course he wouldn't as he already has said say no to that.    So what you can conclude is nobody has offered anything that has made Benning and crew go 'wow' get me Edler's agent on the phone.   Edler is most nights a top 2 pairing and he is worth a 'wow'.   

Just now, bp79 said:

Edler is my favourite player on the nucks so I hope he stays. That being said Dhailwhal A much better source since he is hooked up with all the agents. Said today, that his camp has been quiet for the last 48 hours Very unlike his camp. leading to the speculation that his POV might have changed.

Interesting tidbit

1 minute ago, samurai said:

it is a simple issue.  if a team really offered Van something they couldn't say no to they would approach Elder and tell him we want to move on, and of course he wouldn't as he already has said say no to that.    So what you can conclude is nobody as offered anything that has made Benning and crew go 'wow' get me Edler's agent on the phone.   Edler is most nights a top 2 pairing and he is worth a 'wow'.   

I wish I could triple plus this.

I honestly think that the only problem with Edler is that he is a #3 and not a #1 all situations guy.  Going strictly by TOI, he's the best they've got.

Benning isn't moving him or Tanev imo because the way he has structured the team all along is that he wants some semblance of a top pair in order to develop his young defense.  He's done the same with the forwards and until this year, in goal

Don't understand why everyone is clamoring for his departure, he's solid, just not in the role we are asking him to play (because we lack the top level talent to usurp him). He's willing to go down with the ship and it's not like we have a slew of young hotshot D in the wings ready to take his spot. He can be a solid mentor for the remainder of his deal.  

Plus I doubt we are getting offered the deal that would be considered a reasonable return (despite some of you willing to move him for next to nothing)

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

I’m of the position that GM’s shouldn’t be allowed to ask guys to waive their NTC/NMC. It’s apart of the contract, and you wouldn’t ask a guy to take less money or less term in the middle of the contract. 

Good on Edler to stop this malarkey. Don’t like it, don’t sign the contract.

So what if the player really doesn't like it here, and his family really don't like it here, and they are signed for 7 more years.

I guess that is tough also....................but then he just doesn't play hard and makes the whole thing worse...........

One coaching change can make the conditions change dramatically...............aka Tortorella..................

Are you sure you want keep you stance..............or is there conditions?

8 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Grade A Loser.

I can't even imagine wanting to play pointless hockey for 3.5 months. Also, 2018/2019 will be the same.

Sure, no to Calgary but really....Tampa Bay. Yes please. Pitt? Who on planet earth doesn't want to play hockey with 87?

It's called Loyalty. That and the fact he loves the team the city and believes in JB,s  direction. If that makes him A loser. Whats A winner? someone who chases the money or A uproots his family moves across N.A for the chance at the cup.? Who cares right, if his kids love it here or his wife. Your comment is what I would consider grade A loser.

4 minutes ago, bp79 said:

It's called Loyalty. That and the fact he loves the team the city and believes in JB,s  direction. If that makes him A loser. Whats A winner? someone who chases the money or A uproots his family moves across N.A for the chance at the cup.? Who cares right, if his kids love it here or his wife. Your comment is what I would consider grade A loser.

Empathy. 

34 minutes ago, naslundfan921 said:

Don't understand why everyone is clamoring for his departure, he's solid, just not in the role we are asking him to play (because we lack the top level talent to usurp him). He's willing to go down with the ship and it's not like we have a slew of young hotshot D in the wings ready to take his spot. He can be a solid mentor for the remainder of his deal.  

Plus I doubt we are getting offered the deal that would be considered a reasonable return (despite some of you willing to move him for next to nothing)

Because he’s like one of maybe 3 guys who re actually worth something in trade on this team. 

Cut some roots to make the tree survive. 

20 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

So what if the player really doesn't like it here, and his family really don't like it here, and they are signed for 7 more years.

I guess that is tough also....................but then he just doesn't play hard and makes the whole thing worse...........

One coaching change can make the conditions change dramatically...............aka Tortorella..................

Are you sure you want keep you stance..............or is there conditions?

I’ve made my position clear. Didn’t say anything about a player asking for a trade. 

Archived