The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Edler still not interested in waving NTC

Adarsh Sant

33 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The market is flooded with D right now with Johnson, Karlsson, OEL, McDonough, Tanev all prime candidates for a move.  Return will never be lower, especially given Edler's list would be very limited if he even gave one.  You'd likely end up either forced to accept a lowball offer, or keep a frustrated Edler who didn't want to give a list in the first place.

Agreed,  lots of D's on the market.  Just look at us, Hutton, Tanev, and Del can all be had for the right price.  We are at the point where the buyers don't want to pay and the sellers are overpricing. 

1 hour ago, NutsBoutNucks said:

I wasn’t looking forward to conversing with an unintelligent, ill advised dunce so I will keep it simple. There is a ton of intelligence on this board, and I often gain from the varying and interesting opinions. When reading countless responses of how a world class professional hockey player, from Junior to Olympian and of course NHL Cup Finalist, always as a top four D, gets run down and insulted for ridiculous claims, it bothers me enough to react. 

Also, I missed the cut at Junior B level, so direct your insults there if that makes your moms basement suite light up enough for you. To qualify my level of interest and hockey knowledge, I have carried managerial and financial interests in two separate sports teams, one being a hockey franchise. 

Ass u me. 

In summary, you’re another loud, boring fan, with as much experience as the next, bothered enough, compelled even, by an opposing opinion on Edler to post in a hockey fan forum. You go get ‘em, Tiger! 

54 minutes ago, naslundfan921 said:

Sure but why move him if we can't get the return that he's worth? It's my belief that if that offer presented itself, Benning would have no issue asking Edler to move but by the sounds of it that has yet to happen. My comment was directed at the people treating him like he's worth nothing (or next to nothing)

The more realistic option is to move one or both of Tanev / Hutton. I actually like Edler for his mentorship especially with presumably two young Swedes competing for a spot here next year in EP and Dahlen with potentially another young Swedish D incoming through this year's draft (Dahlin or Boqvist). If the twins don't come back this is even more important.

Fair enough. I get it.

Somebody has to go, eventually, it’s a rebuild, or so I hear. 

Any one of Edler, Tanev or Guddy would have brought in a decent haul for the draft, but Canucks Luck is in play again; nobody is going anywhere out of that group of assets. 

I am not a fan of Hutton. I would like to see a Goldy + Hutton package for whatever JB likes. They don’t strike me as playoff warrior types, not that it matters today, but JB still needs to build the right supporting cast around the core.

We shall soon see what JB has up his sleeve. 

I'm fine with it, it's part of his contract and he negotiated that. He's got a young family and is probably doing what he thinks is best for them.

If we move Tanev, and I think we should, I'd be alright with an Edler extension if he took less money and no ntc or a limited ntc. He gets a lot of flack but he provides more offense than Guddy and you need guys who can munch minutes. He's not perfect by any means but he's better than the flack he gets makes him out to be.

2 hours ago, NutsBoutNucks said:

I had to log in, a rare event, just to give you a plus and thank you for providing logical, sensible support for the Eagle. Nothing bothers me more than ill-informed, non-hockey minds bantering aimlessly back and forth insulting one helluva hockey player we have managed to keep healthy enough, cheap enough and long term enough to benefit from at all levels...strong, stable scorer and hitter into his prime, intelligent mentor mostly reliable through his prime into his later years, and still loyal, hard hitting and occasional point getter that make others playing with him better...

Now that Eddie and Guddy are paired up, that frees Tanev up to put together a very solid top four by stabilizing whoever he’s paired up with. When Tanev returns from injury it will go to show even more value that Eddie carries. There are very few hockey minds that don’t support and promote keeping Alexander Edler in the fold as new D’s come to the team. He’s needed, wanted, and anyone saying he’s useless and other despicable and uneducated responses make me shake my head. Thanks for lending your time to respond to some of these bandwagoners. Cheers. 

Thank you for taking the time. By far the nicest thing anyone ever said to me on here. I take a lot of crap for liking Edler. You, sir, have made it all worthwhile. As Ted Mosbey said in HIMYM in season 1 the pineapple incident. "You are A gentleman and A scholar. Take my finest horse her name is Windjammer. lol sorry, I had to use that one of my favourite shows ever. And that was by far the funniest episode.  BTW What you said is why I love the guy so much. Just such A positive guy. Remember when Torts treated him like crap? He had every right to say get me the F outta here. Instead, He stuck with his boys. People can hate him that is their right. They should at least like you said be informed of how good he has been for us. Now he is having one hell of A year holding down the fort as per usual are D is almost always missing at least one of our top 4. Thanks, again  NutsBoutNucks.

50 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Kinda meh tbh.  I wasn't expecting him to be moved or waive his ntc.

i respect that he has a family and obviously is putting them first.

apparently the chance to play for a cup contender does not appeal to him and again, no surprise.  He doesn't strike me as ultra competitive. 

Or maybe he is loyal like the twins, happy here as are his wife and kids. And Maybe he believes the chance to win A cup in 2 0r 3 years is right here. Smart man if you ask me. 

I see Edler and Ericksson *6M staying (and I'd keep Vanek as our sort of rental placeholder- unless we get a good price) also keep Gaunce, Archie and Dowd. These are our bubble players I can live with as long as they fulfil their roles. 

Contracts I'd like to see replaced are the twins, Gagner ( overpriced, can't score, not really physical) Hutton (overpriced and AHLish) Biega is fine for now.

That's 4 spots that would/should increase our jump and compete level.

10 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Or maybe he is loyal like the twins, happy here as are his wife and kids. And Maybe he believes the chance to win A cup in 2 0r 3 years is right here. Smart man if you ask me. 

You're a real fan of edler.  I respect that.  Perhaps you're right about his loyalty - most likely.

there is no cup here in 2-3 years however.

3 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Ask Ron Hainsey how his name looks on the cup. I get what you are saying, lots of valid points but I don't respect him. 100% positive I'd move my family to Florida for a chance at the cup.

Not only that but his "loyalty" makes us worse in the long run and....everyone made fun of the Leafs for 13's loyalty. Now it's our turn and he's loyal. It's actually selfish.

He is still young enough to win A cup right here. We need him. we have nobody who can take his place ATM. And anyone but Dhalin or Bovquist will not be ready for 2-4 years. I'm all for rebuilding, but guys like Edler are so undervalued it's pathetic. The guy is A horse who plays through pain every time he is on the ice. Yet not once has he ever used it as an excuse. I really think he believes the nucks are trending the right way and will be back to being A force Why would he leave to maybe win A cup? BTW Florida is A cesspool Full of a lot of weird people. Even Americans Say Florida is full of crazy people. Maybe it's all that hoodoo? Who knows There is A reason Swedes love it here. as my Grandma said the weather and scenery remind her of home. How is wanting to stay with A team that drafted you made you rich and A city you had your children met you wife selfish? I will and always will say that is loyalty. BTW who replaces him? Hutton? Or does JB overpay if someone is willing to come here for basically the same kind of player? To me that doesn't make much sense. Oh well, we all are entitled to our own opinion. Cheers drive safely out there.

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

You're a real fan of edler.  I respect that.  Perhaps you're right about his loyalty - most likely.

there is no cup here in 2-3 years however.

Hey, you never know. Once your in the dance anything is possible. Look at TB sucked last year. The best this year. If and this is A huge if. Say Demko turns into an elite #1 EP is the real deal along with OJ Gaudette Lind JD plus if we can snag Dhalin or Bovquist, or one of the top 3 wingers. Plus add some missing pieces via UFA you never know. Cheers.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Ass u me. 

In summary, you’re another loud, boring fan, with as much experience as the next, bothered enough, compelled even, by an opposing opinion on Edler to post in a hockey fan forum. You go get ‘em, Tiger! 

I don't think this poster is Tiger...   Tiger is still trying to get over all the trouble he is in from that over seas military flight....

16 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Hey, you never know. Once your in the dance anything is possible. Look at TB sucked last year. The best this year. If and this is A huge if. Say Demko turns into an elite #1 EP is the real deal along with OJ Gaudette Lind JD plus if we can snag Dhalin or Bovquist, or one of the top 3 wingers. Plus add some missing pieces via UFA you never know. Cheers.

That's what I'm talking about! Preach! 

This team should be much more competitive the next 2 seasons. 

3 hours ago, 6string said:

My guess is none of em will be moved....

Hutton I think is gone for sure.  Tanev if JB gets blown away then he's gone two. Edler who as I've said many times I hope he isn't traded is the least likely IMHO. What scares me is usually his agent always puts out any smoke. apparently, they have gone silent the last 48 hours. I really think If JB asked him to waive he would. I think JB knows how important he is to the Canucks. Anything less than an overpayment. I doubt JB would even ask

Archived