The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Edler still not interested in waving NTC

Adarsh Sant

Could tell him.. we have zero interest in extending you when your deal is done.  Say you can leave now and compete for a cup or middle here and hope we win before you leave.

I do not see us taking that approach.  but could force him out if we really wanted too.  Jim could push the issue but his play would probably drop big time.  He is finally playing like his former self.  I like me some Edler. :D

4 minutes ago, apollo said:

That's what I'm talking about! Preach! 

This team should be much more competitive the next 2 seasons. 

I agree I think a lot of people here feel the same way. They just don't want to end up looking foolish if it doesn't pan out. Guys like us could give to craps. Hey if were wrong I'll eat my humble pie and come on here and admit I was wrong. Same way I did about EP. Sadly I was A fan of Lily. Bought into all the hype. I came on here and admitted how wrong I was. BTW Your positive attitude is very appreciated on here. even if you take quite A few lumps along the. keep on keepin on my friend. Cheers. Drive safe tonight. If you have to go out. That goes for everyone. Even the ones who constantly make fun of me. As the saying goes. We are all Canucks:gocan:

15 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Hutton I think is gone for sure.  Tanev if JB gets blown away then he's gone two. Edler who as I've said many times I hope he isn't traded is the least likely IMHO. What scares me is usually his agent always puts out any smoke. apparently, they have gone silent the last 48 hours. I really think If JB asked him to waive he would. I think JB knows how important he is to the Canucks. Anything less than an overpayment. I doubt JB would even ask

Jim has said this many times, and it is the only must rule of trading - you have to have someone to trade with.  They are not going to give Hutton away, and no team at the moment is going to offer much.  In other words Hutton is not a goner for sure.   

17 minutes ago, bp79 said:

I agree I think a lot of people here feel the same way. They just don't want to end up looking foolish if it doesn't pan out. Guys like us could give to craps. Hey if were wrong I'll eat my humble pie and come on here and admit I was wrong. Same way I did about EP. Sadly I was A fan of Lily. Bought into all the hype. I came on here and admitted how wrong I was. BTW Your positive attitude is very appreciated on here. even if you take quite A few lumps along the. keep on keepin on my friend. Cheers. Drive safe tonight. If you have to go out. That goes for everyone. Even the ones who constantly make fun of me. As the saying goes. We are all Canucks:gocan:

Takes a real man (or woman) to admit they're wrong.  I can respect that.  If Edler's willing to take a sizeable discount going forward I wouldn't mind having him stick around in a reduced role

Come on Edler, do the team a favour ffs and accept a trade to Tampa or another top contender. Is it me or do all the Swedes on our team seem to have the Canucks management by the proverbial testicles, not wanting to budge in their decisions to not waive. Its team before players, just be a good little boy, realise you have earned your wifey tens of millions of dollars, with the chance to win the Stanley Cup...

42 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Hutton I think is gone for sure.  Tanev if JB gets blown away then he's gone two.

While Hutton could go for something like a pick or prospect, it sounds as though Benning wants a hockey trade if it's a player of more significance, not just picks and prospects.  That means a contender/playoff team may have to surrender a roster player, such as a top-4 defender.  Something that may be hard to wrangle.

50 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Hutton I think is gone for sure.  Tanev if JB gets blown away then he's gone two. Edler who as I've said many times I hope he isn't traded is the least likely IMHO. What scares me is usually his agent always puts out any smoke. apparently, they have gone silent the last 48 hours. I really think If JB asked him to waive he would. I think JB knows how important he is to the Canucks. Anything less than an overpayment. I doubt JB would even ask

I think they are better off gambling that Hutton pulls himself out of this season than moving him for peanuts, which is about all he'll get right now.

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Fair enough. I get it.

Somebody has to go, eventually, it’s a rebuild, or so I hear. 

Any one of Edler, Tanev or Guddy would have brought in a decent haul for the draft, but Canucks Luck is in play again; nobody is going anywhere out of that group of assets. 

I am not a fan of Hutton. I would like to see a Goldy + Hutton package for whatever JB likes. They don’t strike me as playoff warrior types, not that it matters today, but JB still needs to build the right supporting cast around the core.

We shall soon see what JB has up his sleeve. 

A Baer + Hutton + Goldobin for Domi and a pick. However I'm liking Goldys game recently, I would give him a lot more games before we decide his future with our team moving forward.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

While Hutton could go for something like a pick or prospect, it sounds as though Benning wants a hockey trade if it's a player of more significance, not just picks and prospects.  That means a contender/playoff team may have to surrender a roster player, such as a top-4 defender.  Something that may be hard to wrangle.

Yup for sure. I think it would have to be Hutty and other parts. Right now there would be no point in trading him by himself. I think A winger or picks would have to go as well. As much as I like goldie not sure if he has A spot in the top 6 next year. Unless of course the twins or Baer are not resigned. A package of Goldie and Hutton. Or Hutton and Baer Is that enough for Domi or Kane? I know we can get him for free in July, but JB seems to love the kid. and might worry whoever acquires him at the TDL may be able to convince him to sign an extension.

Heres A question. How come Turris was able to sign with Nashville right away yet EK A team would have to wait till I think next season. Is it because Turris is A free agent after this season?

I like the fact that he is loyal to the team and the city that I love. He is a good player, top 3 defenceman being used in top 1 role.

We have one of the best shut down defenceman in the league in Tanev. We have an all around second pairing defender in Edler. We just don't have a top pairing defenceman. We have a lot of the pieces in place. Dahlin to the Canucks in 2018 draft would complete the defence.

The guy will have the most points as a canucks d man soon, what an underrated player he has been here.

The 2011 core should be treated better in this market, the reason why Kesler, Edler, Burrows, Sedins were on such good deals were because of the NTC and term. Thats why we could afford the great depth we had back then. Would do it again in a heartbeat and I hope our next core of players is signed like that as well.

-We had kesler for 5 million cap hit and he scored 41 goals and won the selke 

-Sedins at 6.1 then 7.1 after wiining art ross's

-Burrows what was it like 2.5 while scoring at least 20 goals a year

-Hamhuis was like 4.1 and he was a top pairing guy

-Luongo one of the best goalies in the nleague for only a 5.3 cap hit

12 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Shocking. 

The only chance we're ever going to have at moving him is at next years deadline as a rental, and that's only if GMJB informs him ahead of time that we won't be resigning him. 

Edlers a nester, that much is certain. Seems to be relatively common among Swedes, actually. They're kind of like the mirror universe Russians.

Yes except you know where you stand with a Swede.

I'm glad Edler has this outlook. We need his leadership going forward and he is still our best and most physical D most nights.

Archived