The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Edler still not interested in waving NTC

Adarsh Sant

20 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I’m of the position that GM’s shouldn’t be allowed to ask guys to waive their NTC/NMC. It’s apart of the contract, and you wouldn’t ask a guy to take less money or less term in the middle of the contract. 

Good on Edler to stop this malarkey. Don’t like it, don’t sign the contract.

how do you feel about players asking out after signing a NMC contract?

14 minutes ago, lmm said:

how do you feel about players asking out after signing a NMC contract?

NTC and NMC are to give the player control of where they play. If he asks out, he asks out.

Teams could always negotiate a no “request to be traded” clause.

9 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

NTC and NMC are to give the player control of where they play. If he asks out, he asks out.

Teams could always negotiate a no “request to be traded” clause.

All of this sounds like bad faith though.

Its kind of like a pre-nup. "We want you forever, but just in case..." Not a great startting point in any relationship.

I kind of favour NMC-NTC as part  of performance bunus'.

"If you score 20-30 goals your NTC kicks in" ect (pick any metric you like, +/-, ppg, gaa, wins, team success)

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

All of this sounds like bad faith though.

Its kind of like a pre-nup. "We want you forever, but just in case..." Not a great startting point in any relationship.

I kind of favour NMC-NTC as part  of performance bunus'.

"If you score 20-30 goals your NTC kicks in" ect (pick any metric you like, +/-, ppg, gaa, wins, team success)

Both parties have to agree to the deal. Just like a prenuptial agreement. Don’t like it, don’t sign it. It is the exact opposite of “bad faith”.

So Edler is following the Sedins as his example of playing for one team all ones career meaning more than winning a Stanley Cup once.

There is something disconcerting about this. When Canadian players like Iginla, and he's just one example, move on it can't be easy either, and for all the same reasons; established in the community, and know your team so well, etc.  Lord knows someone like Iginla had already earned enough money in his career.  So why rip up your roots just to go off to some other team, even in another country, just for one or two more shots at the Cup?  It must mean so much to them.

Yet for the Sedins, and Edler, they are perfectly fine with just playing out their careers in a rebuilding team, even if there was a trade offer to go to one of the top contenders for the Cup. I guess that is honorable position? Sure its nice to know you live in such a livable city, and that these athletes really want to live out their playing time here, but what does that say about their objective desire to win the Cup?  Now I'm sure that they desired to win it in 2011, but one could ask if they had that tiny extra ooph in 2011, would that extra 2% have made a difference in a series that went the distance?  Even just on a subconscious level. Yes they had 100% desire to win a Cup for Vancouver. They had 100% desire to win the Cup for their teammates. Did they have the other 100% to win it for themselves, regardless of their jersey or city? Like the kind of player like Iginla that puts even a chance at winning the Cup over their home town and over a decade of friends, family and teammates. One could call them selfish, but I'm sure Calgary fans understood.

On the other side is a player can be the consummate professional, great guy, and certainly would want to win a championship, but being comfortable is more important. Its just a minor bug of mine when it comes to some European born players like Edler. I mean if he'd even say he's open to the idea but it would have to be a contender and he'd have a very short list. Even if he made it near impossible, I'd respect the guy more in his passion for the Cup going forward, if we ever actually did re-sign him, which I heard on radio today brought up.

22 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

I get the logic, but in fairness, it wasn't Benning who negotiated a NTC for Edler, it was Gillis. All of the players he has asked to waive since becoming GM have been Gillis signings except for Vrbata who had a limited NTC.

If there's going to be any rule like that, it should only apply to contracts that the current GM signed.

His contract wasn't with Gillis it was with the Canucks. Makes no difference who the gm was at the time. None. Its his right whether anybody likes him or not. People are way to hard on the guy.

When his contract is up he will likely sign another one with the canucks (since this is where he wants to be) which is a lot better than losing him for nothing. If you disagree with that then just watch how many other teams try to sign him as a ufa. 

With that being said i see no reason why a gm cant ask. But to pressure a guy or treat him differently because he wont is a different thing. 

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

So Edler is following the Sedins as his example of playing for one team all ones career meaning more than winning a Stanley Cup once.

There is something disconcerting about this. When Canadian players like Iginla, and he's just one example, move on it can't be easy either, and for all the same reasons; established in the community, and know your team so well, etc.  Lord knows someone like Iginla had already earned enough money in his career.  So why rip up your roots just to go off to some other team, even in another country, just for one or two more shots at the Cup?  It must mean so much to them.

Yet for the Sedins, and Edler, they are perfectly fine with just playing out their careers in a rebuilding team, even if there was a trade offer to go to one of the top contenders for the Cup. I guess that is honorable position? Sure its nice to know you live in such a livable city, and that these athletes really want to live out their playing time here, but what does that say about their objective desire to win the Cup?  Now I'm sure that they desired to win it in 2011, but one could ask if they had that tiny extra ooph in 2011, would that extra 2% have made a difference in a series that went the distance?  Even just on a subconscious level. Yes they had 100% desire to win a Cup for Vancouver. They had 100% desire to win the Cup for their teammates. Did they have the other 100% to win it for themselves, regardless of their jersey or city? Like the kind of player like Iginla that puts even a chance at winning the Cup over their home town and over a decade of friends, family and teammates. One could call them selfish, but I'm sure Calgary fans understood.

On the other side is a player can be the consummate professional, great guy, and certainly would want to win a championship, but being comfortable is more important. Its just a minor bug of mine when it comes to some European born players like Edler. I mean if he'd even say he's open to the idea but it would have to be a contender and he'd have a very short list. Even if he made it near impossible, I'd respect the guy more in his passion for the Cup going forward, if we ever actually did re-sign him, which I heard on radio today brought up.

Some good points brought up here. But we will never know the motives of Edler. Just a guess though i would say some guys don't want to be away from there family even for a few months. And they don't want to root them up and move either taking there wives and kids away from friends and schoolmates. But I wonder if there was an equivalent cup in Sweden would an American player take it as seriously as a Swedish born player. Probably not.

At the end of the day, its his life not ours to judge. 

Its us dudes that pay the tickets and cable packages that pay his salary. I just want him to play his heart out for the Canucks for as long as he is here.

5 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Between now and the next TDL that gives them potentially a full year together, then we can decide whether to extend Edler or try to move him at the TDL.

If he doesn't want to wave now why would he in a year?  even if JB says you aren't in our future plans let us trade you, I bet he still says no. the best thing to do with edler is to try to bring in another top D so he isn't viewed as our number one. Decrease his minutes and lower expectations of him. He will be viewed in a different light and probably have less screw ups. If he really doesn't want to leave Vancouver and is not getting top pairing minutes i can see him being signed for about 4 million per for three more years. 

5 hours ago, kilgore said:

Beautifully written. I think going forward it would perhaps be nice to have a little less Euro flare on the team. I need a liitle more Canadian where the only thing that would give them the greatest joy is to hoist the Stanley Cup. I Sstill think that the Twins and Edlers ultimate joy is to win the World Hockey Championships if you asked them.

13 hours ago, canucker1971 said:

Beautifully written. I think going forward it would perhaps be nice to have a little less Euro flare on the team. I need a liitle more Canadian where the only thing that would give them the greatest joy is to hoist the Stanley Cup. I Sstill think that the Twins and Edlers ultimate joy is to win the World Hockey Championships if you asked them.

and people wonder why I advocate for a Bouchard over a Boqvist

13 hours ago, canucker1971 said:

So you are in the 'glad we drafted Virtanen' camp ? That was the #1 issue in 2014. Good to have another pro JB poster.

3 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

So you are in the 'glad we drafted Virtanen' camp ? That was the #1 issue in 2014. Good to have another pro JB poster.

what would you like Jim to do about it now? no point in continuing to whine about it. Jake is what he is, he may yet turn into a top 6 player but the fact is not every top 10 pick makes it. 

Archived