The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks turned down offer of a 2nd and 4th for Gudbranson

Adarsh Sant

When they offer two picks like that, it's often different years. Few GMs want to decimate their pending draft class. 

I would have passed. I still think the term and value we signed him for are the best outcome. Better than trading him for less than we bought him for, or letting him go in free agency.

28 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I like him and Jpat for their humour on the patcast. but how they are treating this management and coach green is starting to tick me off.  Just looking to stir controversy.  I hope they take away their press credentials. and theoretically...  Jim said he is open to trading anyone on the roster if the right offer came. If someone knocked our socks off for Gudbranson I wouldn't be totally against moving him out even after the sell job.  But his style of physicality has been missing on our backend for nearly 2 decades.  Nice to have someone who can do something when required.  This team actually has a pulse now. No more taking shots and accepting face washes.  Now we got some bite.  I want that attitude staying. if Gudbranson brings that out in teammates he can stay as long as he is a constructive member on our D core. 

I know some will disagree but I like the good teams that have some menace to them.  FLA had a pretty nasty team with Guddy and co.  Id like to see the Nucks get something similar.

Even if true, it would obviously be from a playoff team, so that's a pick outside the top-50, and another pick outside the top-100.

Nothing to sniff at - compared to letting the player walk for nothing. But he's secured at a decent rate, so who cares?

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

Even if true, it would obviously be from a playoff team, so that's a pick outside the top-50, and another pick outside the top-100.

Nothing to sniff at - compared to letting the player walk for nothing. But he's secured at a decent rate, so who cares?

Plus he doesn't have a NTC so which can be a good thing too. 

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Let's trade Botchford to Montreal for a poutine.

That's a crap offer, and likely made up. If true, it's still pretty mediocre considering the offer would probably have come from a playoff bound team, which it probably didn't because it's Botchford who's worth about a half eaten poutine that has been lying on the ground for a few days... in summer... with bird poop on it. .

2 minutes ago, Green Building said:

That's a crap offer, and likely made up. If true, it's still pretty mediocre considering the offer would probably have come from a playoff bound team, which it probably didn't because it's Botchford who's worth about a half eaten poutine that has been lying on the ground for a few days... in summer... with bird poop on it. .

Pooptine

Botch is playing to his twitter minions by creating stories to get them raging against management on a consistent basis.  He breathes negativity and twitter feeds him.  That offer if true, isn't good enough.  You don't sell low on a player that can easily improve from 2 injury filled seasons on our terrible team.  You sign him to a decent deal and wait until the time when he has improved and gone a good season without long term injuries in order to sell on a higher value.  Management saw that and decided on the right course of action.  Botch wants to criticize them for that decision and he would have also criticized them if they accepted that offer, by keep bringing what they gave up for him.  He isn't one to give any kind of credit.  He has done his part in hurting Gudbranson's value during every single game. 

Even if it were true, people still wouldn't have been happy. They would mention how much we gave up, and question Benning even more.

That's not how trades work. Each team has it own values. Just because some see Guddy as worth a 1st, doesn't mean he is. He is more valuable here than elsewhere, especially with Tryamkin gone.

47 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

When did Botchford become an insider?

When did B*tchford become worth listening to at all?

... Oh, right, never.

Can we put him in the Eklund column of "People we talk about, but mostly because how wrong they are"?

He reminds me of a story one-upper. You know the type. Your story goes "just learned to waterski on crowded Cultus Lake!". Immediately after you finish your story, he was "suddenly watersking in the Caribbean when a dolphin jumped out of the water beside him and saluted him with a fin".

And then he makes up a rumor about the Canucks almost trading Fin for a 4th round pick.

And we all get mad about something he made up. Just like Eklund.

Botch and Sekeres are determined to discredit Benning with the public because they think that ownership is following the media and will believe what they hear.

For starters, Benning said that he was going to try to re-sign Gudbranson.  There was never going to be a trade UNLESS an agreement could not be made.  It was always assumed that it couldn't be made so for a long time people have been saying that Guddy was on the block.  He was never on the block.

Botch and Sekeres are fixated on draft picks.  When asked, what his strengths were on HNIC, Benning said drafting and development.  Drafting is one thing, and developing is another.  Both need to be done well and each requires 50% of the effort.  You have to be careful that the team retains the structure necessary to develop players.  

Archived