The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks turned down offer of a 2nd and 4th for Gudbranson

Adarsh Sant

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Fine by me.  Why settle on that price. Play him out the season.  See if his value has gone up by next deadline. There is no trade protection. Flip him later when u can sell him at 100% on dollar not 40c on the dollar.  If he keeps getting top pairing minutes and continues to show well he will be worth what we paid or more.

If his value goes up why would they trade him?  He's not old and this team sucks on defense if you haven't noticed. 

48 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Botch and Sekeres are determined to discredit Benning with the public

How's that working out for them lol?

They're the punchline in this market.  The joke is on them. 

93% here wanted Benning re-signed.

78% thought the Gudbranson contract was "perfect",

Would love to know what percentage think Botchford is a dolt.

Botchford is such a dork. He seems like the type to refuse his plate two times for minor reasons and then refuse to pay the bill after eating the third.

Even so, Gudbranson is probably worth more to the team than a 2nd and 4th. I'm not even that big on the guy as a player, but our defense is soft.

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

After all your canucksmarmy fluffing in the Gudbranson re-signing thread, not surprised to see you posting Botchford's troll game on CDC.

Well, now you know what people here think of Botchford.

Yeah Botch is quite the.......character. I think he is just commenting on the info though, someone else actually got the insider knowledge. Not Botch. He's not at all an insider.

Anyways, I'm still of the belief that Gudbranson is at best a #6-7 D man. Intangibles only get you so far, and I've watched hockey long enough to know when a guy just isn't that good. He gets beat by speed way too often, and doesn't clear the crease enough for a 'tough' guy. Don't need to reference any stats if you choose to ignore them.

He doesn't create any offense, which is fine if you're solid defensively like Chris Tanev. Gudbranson is like swiss cheese on defense however.

Just now, Adarsh Sant said:

Yeah Botch is quite the.......character. I think he is just commenting on the info though, someone else actually got the insider knowledge. Not Botch. He's not at all an insider.

Anyways, I'm still of the belief that Gudbranson is at best a #6-7 D man. Intangibles only get you so far, and I've watched hockey long enough to know when a guy just isn't that good. He gets beat by speed way too often, and doesn't clear the crease enough for a 'tough' guy. Don't need to reference any stats if you choose to ignore them.

He doesn't create any offense, which is fine if you're solid defensively like Chris Tanev. Gudbranson is like swiss cheese on defense however.

sure they did.  mickey mouse shell-game reporting - and posting it says a lot about your credibility.

your opinion of Gudbranson is about as well-sourced as a B-otchford rumour.

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I know some will disagree but I like the good teams that have some menace to them.  FLA had a pretty nasty team with Guddy and co.  Id like to see the Nucks get something similar.

I miss the Canucks with Hordichuk, Rypien, O'Brien, Glass and Bieksa messing up other teams.  Throw in a yappy chihuahua like Burrows and a young Kesler who was willing to fight...and gritty d-men like Willie Mitchell and Aaron Rome.  Skilled players with size like Samuelson, Salo, Erhoff, and when Edler had 40+ point seasons while banging bodies.  All this size allowed the Sedins to work their magic.  Those were the days.

32 minutes ago, oldnews said:

1,000,000,000,000,000,000%  It's so high, I don't even know what that number is.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Good.   We gave up plenty for him and I'm still ok with the price we paid.  We need what Gudbranson brings more than ever after losing both Tryamkin and Sbisa.

You are a lunatic if you are happy with paying a marginal third pairing dman this much. Its just ridiculous

3 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I like him and Jpat for their humour on the patcast. but how they are treating this management and coach green is starting to tick me off.  Just looking to stir controversy.  I hope they take away their press credentials. and theoretically...  Jim said he is open to trading anyone on the roster if the right offer came. If someone knocked our socks off for Gudbranson I wouldn't be totally against moving him out even after the sell job.  But his style of physicality has been missing on our backend for nearly 2 decades.  Nice to have someone who can do something when required.  This team actually has a pulse now. No more taking shots and accepting face washes.  Now we got some bite.  I want that attitude staying. if Gudbranson brings that out in teammates he can stay as long as he is a constructive member on our D core. 

Bieska was a beauty as well.

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Better bet to think he will recoup some of his value over the next three years. Smart to not trade him for anything less then a first. Heres hoping he plays well the next three years and we can trade him for the potential piece we need to compete for a cup

He just maybe a piece of the puzzle when we compete for the cup.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

79% of oilers fans thought mactavish was a strong gm and 62% thought the same of tambellini.

https://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/edmonton-oilers-and-their-fans-are-all-about-the-summer-lovin-but-will-it-end-in-one-more-broken-hearted-winter/amp

The wisdom of the crowds/market isn't always right.

3 hours ago, BananaMash said:

Botchford is such a dork. He seems like the type to refuse his plate two times for minor reasons and then refuse to pay the bill after eating the third.

Even so, Gudbranson is probably worth more to the team than a 2nd and 4th. I'm not even that big on the guy as a player, but our defense is soft.

Exactly. To add to this cloudiness we don't know what team offered the picks.  I mean it could have been Vegas. Do we really want a late second and a late fourth?

2 hours ago, DSVII said:

79% of oilers fans thought mactavish was a strong gm and 62% thought the same of tambellini.

https://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/edmonton-oilers-and-their-fans-are-all-about-the-summer-lovin-but-will-it-end-in-one-more-broken-hearted-winter/amp

The wisdom of the crowds/market isn't always right.

Of course the wisdom of crowds isn't always right.  I've seen enough elections to realize what people will consent to/support.

But are you suggesting you prefer the wisdom of the Botch in this case?

Btw - you're talking about a market of dynasty lottery champions - that couldn't build a hockey team regardless - vs one whose GM has lost every lottery he's been in, and had a stale-old-core to work with.   Edmonton hockey fans....have reason to believe in saviours - they have the memories of a dynasty to help sell the promises of lottery-championships.

Benning has been a whipping boy of the national and local media - and yet emerges here, where he's also faced healthy criticism - with that approval rating. Why do you think he'd be that popular here, with no McMe1sts or cheerleader media (I mean, have you ever heard of Mark Spector) like Deadmonton has, to soothe a decidedly not-lottery-champion, never-won-a-Cup fanbase?  This place isn't as forgiving.

Try selling stories of cotton-candy to a market whose face has been stuffed with cotton-candy for decades.  And then try selling that story to a market that has never tasted cotton candy - and compare the results.  

Benning imo has earned his rating under difficult circumstances, whereas Edmonton.....has a market that understandably likes cotton candy (but how hard have they had to work for it?)

Archived