The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What A Coward - Parkland Armed School Resource Officer Never Went Into The School During Shooting

SabreFan1

And some people in the GOP and NRA want to arm more people at schools...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/parkland-shooting-armed-school-resource-officer-never-went-school-during-n850441

An armed security officer on campus where a gunman killed 17 people never went inside the high school or tried to engage the gunman during the attack, a Florida sheriff said Thursday.

That officer has now resigned.

“I think he remained outside for upwards of four minutes,” Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said during a news conference Thursday afternoon.

Scot Peterson, a sheriff's deputy assigned to the school, "was absolutely on campus through this entire event. He was armed, he was in uniform," Israel said.

Peterson was seen on video arriving at the west side of a building, but “he never went in,” Israel said.

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

He should go to prison for not even attempting to save the lives of 17 people.  You signed up for the job, you better be ready to go when sh*t hits the fan

I hear the Teachers are gonna be allowed to carry guns now?  Lol what a mess

Didn’t the football coach basically sacrifice his own life to save children?  

9 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/parkland-shooting-armed-school-resource-officer-never-went-school-during-n850441

Police not being able to do their jobs is probably why they want to arm more people at schools *shrugs*

I could disparage him but considering I have never been in the kind of situation that he was, I simply cannot relate to what he felt at that moment. All the training in the world doesn't prepare you when you know on the other side death maybe waiting for you. Perhaps he made the right decision not going in, if he wasn't thinking straight he could have gone trigger happy and gotten himself or some of the other students killed as a result.

There are a very small minority of people who are willing to run in the direction of bullets, and an even smaller minority are able to keep a level head. This is why arming civilians is so stupid, will do more harm than good.

Great; arm the teachers?  Two things will happen;

1) A teacher will shoot a black kid, in ''self defence?'' 2 weeks later a gang will run rampant shooting teachers...

2) A student will disarm the teacher. Use the gun on the class...

Both 4 times each by April. 

I don't think arming the teachers is a great idea!

6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Great; arm the teachers?  Two things will happen;

1) A teacher will shoot a black kid, in ''self defence?'' 2 weeks later a gang will run rampant shooting teachers...

2) A student will disarm the teacher. Use the gun on the class...

Both 4 times each by April. 

I don't think arming the teachers is a great idea!

All these gun nuts that want everyone armed are clueless.

Imagine being in that Orlando club and shooting starts and you have 10 other dudes shooting.

More people would have been killed from “friendly fire” because they would shoot at each other.

11 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Like I said in the other thread, the guy is probably the equivalent of a mall cop making $20 an hour. Not exactly motivated to be a &^@#ing hero, never mind the mental mindset or training to deal with such a situation that actual law enforcement goes through. 

Very true.  Probably had no vest on..... Probably crap training if any...

Probably paid 16 bucks an hour no benefits...  and froze in the situation.

Can't judge a guy in a terrible situation like that. None of us know for sure how we would react in a crisis.

Feel sorry for the guy as i am sure he will have challenges living with what happened / his inaction....

I am sure most security guards never truly envision themselves confronting an active shooter....

Just a terrible tragic situation  for all involved.

Hopefully this new younger generations demands changes to USA gun laws.   USA is such a great country but it can be even GREATER if it gets its gun laws modernized. 

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Very true.  Probably had no vest on..... Probably crap training if any...

Probably paid 16 bucks an hour no benefits...  and froze in the situation.

Can't judge a guy in a terrible situation like that. None of us know for sure how we would react in a crisis.

Feel sorry for the guy as i am sure he will have challenges living with what happened / his inaction....

I am sure most security guards never truly envision themselves confronting an active shooter....

Just a terrible tragic situation  for all involved.

Hopefully this new younger generations demands changes to USA gun laws.   USA is such a great country but it can be even GREATER if it gets its gun laws modernized. 

Hopefully these kids keep it up otherwise this too will fall by the way side and it'll be forgotten in a couple weeks. That's literally what happened with the Vegas shooting and that was the worst one in history..

Armed School Resource Deputy.

Can anybody explain precisely what that is? Probably not a guy who was fit to be a full time Statey, and perhaps not even a regular deputy, he may only have been deputized to patrol the school. How is that any different from giving a glorified mall cop a badge and a gun?

The fact that some people clamor for these guys to be on patrol at schools as a deterrent is silly. This guy is likely going to feel like a royal ass for the rest of his life because of this, but hey, let's throw him under the bus and arm some more people with "training" so they can be better prepared to save the day next time this happens. Which it will. Because America.

7 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Armed School Resource Deputy.

Can anybody explain precisely what that is? Probably not a guy who was fit to be a full time Statey, and perhaps not even a regular deputy, he may only have been deputized to patrol the school. How is that any different from giving a glorified mall cop a badge and a gun?

The fact that some people clamor for these guys to be on patrol at schools as a deterrent is silly. This guy is likely going to feel like a royal ass for the rest of his life because of this, but hey, let's throw him under the bus and arm some more people with "training" so they can be better prepared to save the day next time this happens. Which it will. Because America.

Paul Blart with a gun, hoping that he never has to use it.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

But I thought arming more people with guns is the answer??  You're in the US, what is your take on this issue?

To me the fact that it is even a debate, is mind boggling and says everything about the people in your country....

9 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Paul Blart with a gun, hoping that he never has to use it.

The odds of that are high. Very high. Otherwise a guy would just become a cop. Nah, I'll just take the casual school job in the ritzy neighbourhood monitoring Freezie theft at recess. It'll all be fine. 

I can't judge the guy, but I'll be damned if I won't judge the system.

So strange with all this talk about arming teachers when an armed school resource deputy was already on site. It sounds like he was nearing the end of his career, based on the CNN story (https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/22/us/florida-school-shooting/index.html). He definitely dropped the ball, and if I was a parent of a murdered child at that school, I'd probably direct a lot of my anger his way. The poor guy will no doubt have a lot of guilt the rest of his life.  

9 minutes ago, JV77 said:

But I thought arming more people with guns is the answer??  You're in the US, what is your take on this issue?

To me the fact that it is even a debate, is mind boggling and says everything about the people in your country....

Tougher gun laws is one thing that is actually bi-partisan as far as voters are concerned.  Lawmakers are the ones who are resistant to it.

I'm in favour of the second amendment, but I think that the laws need to be updated.  As for arming people in schools, it's an incredibly stupid idea that would backfire.

Arming teachers is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. The president claims that these shooters would never go near a school if they knew teachers or other staff were armed. This just shows he has no answers and no clue.

Ever wonder why these shooters never wear masks? Ever wonder why they have no plan to escape and remain anonymous then resume their lives? It's because it's a suicide mission. They just want to take as many lives as they can before being taken out themselves.

They would seek out schools with armed teachers for the guaranteed confrontation. Imagine the chaos? A teacher who has maybe had 5 hours at a shooting range, shooting at a stationary target against an fast moving shooter with screaming kids running left right and center.

It's a shooter's wet dream. Frankly, it's the NRA's wet dream.

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Tougher gun laws is one thing that is actually bi-partisan as far as voters are concerned.  Lawmakers are the ones who are resistant to it.

I'm in favour of the second amendment, but I think that the laws need to be updated.  As for arming people in schools, it's an incredibly stupid idea that would backfire.

This is what I don't get.  The 2nd amendment was adopted in 1791, when they had like muskets.  The world has changed, technology has changed, so is it not simple common sense to amend the 2nd amendment?  Why are you guys so against logical change?  If no one thought about change or adapting the world would way behind.

Why are the people of the USA so damn concerned with guns and so gun hungry?

Archived