The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What A Coward - Parkland Armed School Resource Officer Never Went Into The School During Shooting

SabreFan1

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It’s sad that you see a story like this and immediately use it as an excuse to point blame at the weapon and ignore the issue that a 9 year old thought it would be ok to cause physical damage to a family member over something so stupid. I could post 100’s of similar stories about kids doing the same with a kitchen knife but what purpose would that serve?  If anything this is a story about bad parenting. 

Personally, I think that what is "sad" is that there was a gun lying around where a 9 year-old could grab it. But I guess that's where we differ.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

The bigger issue would be why a 9 year old would have a gun or knife and why his parents leave these things readily available.

I think most 9 year olds would have access to a knife. The gun is a very good point and which is why I am glad we live in a country with strict gun laws. 

10 minutes ago, Toews said:

I think most 9 year olds would have access to a knife. The gun is a very good point and which is why I am glad we live in a country with strict gun laws. 

I'm not sure gun laws are strict I think overall we have smarter people in this country. As far as knifes I have a young child and I keep knifes out of her reach and I also educate her on the danger of these things.

18 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Personally, I think that what is "sad" is that there was a gun lying around where a 9 year-old could grab it. But I guess that's where we differ.

No I think we all agree on that. Your initial post came across pretty cold imo. Hopefully that's not how you meant it.

22 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

No I think we all agree on that. Your initial post came across pretty cold imo. Hopefully that's not how you meant it.

Cold? How so?

It seems pretty obvious to me that it showed my disgust that a firearm was so easily accessible by a child and I can think of no other reason for having such a weapon in the home, except for "self defense". 

1 hour ago, Toews said:

Would you rather be facing a 9 year old with a knife or a 9 year old with a gun? 

Thats not the point. Why does everyone get so caught up with the instrument. The question that people should be asking is a) why does a 9 years old feel the need to hurt someone who is in a disagreement with him,  (the report blames video games). 

b ) why is a 9 year old have access to any dangerous instrument.  

If you leave a 6 year old in a running car alone, it is the cars fault that a kid gets in the drivers seat and runs people over? 

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

When did I say it was acceptable to have a gun lying around?  Reading comprehension is important. 

You did say knives kill 4x more people in the US than guns. Can you link to anything that supports that claim? 

Backing up your claims should be important.

9 minutes ago, Bizarre said:

You did say knives kill 4x more people in the US than guns. Can you link to anything that supports that claim? 

Backing up your claims should be important.

You’re right the claim should have been rifles vs knifes.  when handguns are added in there are more total gun deaths. 

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

When did I say it was acceptable to have a gun lying around?  Reading comprehension is important. 

I agree. Which is why I felt it important to point out that I wasn't blaming the weapon. I was blaming the fact that a 9 year old had easy access to it.

43 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree. Which is why I felt it important to point out that I wasn't blaming the weapon. I was blaming the fact that a 9 year old had easy access to it.

You did a real good job articulating that........not

6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm sure the gun was in the house for "protection"....

On 2/22/2018 at 7:14 PM, Toews said:

I could disparage him but considering I have never been in the kind of situation that he was, I simply cannot relate to what he felt at that moment. All the training in the world doesn't prepare you when you know on the other side death maybe waiting for you. Perhaps he made the right decision not going in, if he wasn't thinking straight he could have gone trigger happy and gotten himself or some of the other students killed as a result.

There are a very small minority of people who are willing to run in the direction of bullets, and an even smaller minority are able to keep a level head. This is why arming civilians is so stupid, will do more harm than good.

IF you are an armed security individual, wouldn't you expect to have a clue why you were armed in the first place?   I agree with you that it is impossible to put anyone in that situation hypothetically but this seems akin to a trained firefighter who refuses to go into a building where there is a fire.   Of course there is a risk and risking your life is a massive risk to take but if you are taking the responsibility of being armed to protect students in the first place, what did you think you were signing on for?

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You did a real good job articulating that........not

I don't see why that's so confusing for you. A handgun in the home is generally used for protection and in this case it did precisely the opposite. I merely pointed out the irony.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't see why that's so confusing for you. A handgun in the home is generally used for protection and in this case it did precisely the opposite. I merely pointed out the irony.

So what is it that you were stating.

That  handgun in the home is generally used for protection and in this case it did precisely the opposite

or....

Were you blaming the fact that a 9 year old had easy access to it.

Seems like you can't make up your mind on the point that you were trying make

decide which one GIF by TipsyElves.com

24 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

So what is it that you were stating.

That  handgun in the home is generally used for protection and in this case it did precisely the opposite

or....

Were you blaming the fact that a 9 year old had easy access to it.

Seems like you can't make up your mind on the point that you were trying make

decide which one GIF by TipsyElves.com

Since I lack the ability to perform brain surgery over the internet, I suppose I'll have to leave you to puzzle out my cryptic meaning on your own......if you can.

i'll have to

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I agree with you that it is impossible to put anyone in that situation hypothetically but this seems akin to a trained firefighter who refuses to go into a building where there is a fire.   Of course there is a risk and risking your life is a massive risk to take but if you are taking the responsibility of being armed to protect students in the first place, what did you think you were signing on for?

Despite training about 10%  of people will not respond properly in an emergency, either they go statue mode, flee, or panicky.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Despite training about 10%  of people will not respond properly in an emergency, either they go statue mode, flee, or panicky.

It’s like soldiers storming a beach, are attacking a hill.  All the best training in the world cannot overcome certain instincts.  Like you say, some guys will freeze.  It’s sad, especially in this tragic loss of childrens’ lives, but it’s not something anyone can predict.  

7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As a pro-gun individual, I too am "sad" that a gun is just left out.  

These types of scenarios always makes folks like myself livid.  I believe in education, safety, and responsibility.  Like what Spiderman's Uncle Ben said, "With great power comes great responsibility".  Law abiding and responsible gun owners are usually the ones targeted whenever there's new laws and new regulations, even though criminal and careless uses are the supposed reason for those rules.  

And, now we have a cop sleeping on the job there.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/officials-deputy-found-sleeping-on-duty-monday-at-stoneman-douglas-high-school/

According to the Broward County Sheriff's Office, a Stoneman Douglas student approached a sergeant who was patrolling the interior of the school and said that Deputy Moises Carotti was asleep in his patrol car just after 5 p.m. The sergeant went to the marked patrol vehicle, which was parked on campus in the northwest corner of the 1200 building, and knocked on the window to rouse Carotti, who appeared to be sleeping.

The sergeant notified command and another deputy was sent to replace him, the sheriff's office said.

Carotti will remain suspended pending the outcome of an internal affairs investigation.

Archived