The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo to Parkland Victims

timmylu1

Also my favourite goaltender, we were so fortunate to have him for as long as we did. I wasn't around for Kirk so for me he's the greatest goaltender we've ever had and an even better person. Looking at the bench you can see the others were behind him a hundred percent.

I tuned in to the start of the game because my American friends and I watch the Caps regularly.  I didn't realize that this would be FLA's first home game since the shooting, so I wasn't really 'mentally prepared' for the pregame memorial.  It was incredibly hard to watch from an emotional standpoint.  During the first intermission, the host on the Caps broadcast admitted that he had to walk away from his monitor while watching.

I have absolutely no idea how any of the players on either team were able to play after that, especially Luongo after making that speech.  My friends and I couldn't even get into watching or caring about the game at all until late in the first and even then, our enthusiasm was muted.

Thank you Lou. Thank you for your message that will resonate with me forever as I am sure it did with the entire audience in the arena. You are so right, enough is enough. This horror and this terror should not have happened and it must never happen again. Senseless deaths of young children and teachers for absolutely no reason. I don't understand why the FBI had done nothing when they were tipped off about this killer who claimed that he would be a school shooter. I also don't understand why an armed deputy didn't go into the school .  Why?  I simply do not understand.  A tragedy that could have been prevented.   To the families of those that lost their lives, we will remember . . .

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Good job Lu, but sadly, these heartfelt speeches will change nothing in the US.

Its sad that in this day and age that the American people have to fear sending their kids to school as this type of tragedy has become all too common. I like what Lu said though that the kids are the heroes and  will sadly have to be the ones to make changes.

Archived