The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo to Parkland Victims

timmylu1

2 hours ago, Fanaholic said:

I don't understand why the FBI had done nothing when they were tipped off about this killer who claimed that he would be a school shooter. I also don't understand why an armed deputy didn't go into the school . 

How many tips do the FBI get everyday? How many FBI agents are there? How does the FBI decide which tips to investigate immediately versus ones they can get to later?

The armed deputy had a handgun, so either flat out fear got the better of him or he did the math of hand gun range and ammo load versus rifle range and ammo load and decided he'd end up dead.

2 hours ago, xereau said:

I'd like to see a real, honest and frank discussion on the drugs that every single one of these shooters is on.  It says right on the insert that they can cause violent disassociative behavior.

It is not just drugs, the video games they play now they make a realistic images as possible, it might tend to desensitize the actual horror and now to be controversial as well, religion can make it seem the next level is better or paradise.

Not to be even close to advocating guns, the type really doesn't matter, access and penalties do. Of course no one needs 30 shot clips, what the hell do you hunt needing 30 shots?

If a bad dude decides to do something like this they will get guns, it is a little like in Canada and the federal registry, every province already has a registry, it was a useless wast of over 2 billion dollars. Hand guns used available only if you were in a job that required one, now, just about anyone can buy a 45 semi auto for $300 or an AR type for $700 (5 shot clip) not that that matters all that much because to do real damage just use a shot gun and there are 10's of thousands of them in Canada.

Society wants to believe the best in everyone first and truly there aren't as many doing this as could be, one is too much though.

The children will lead to what adults won't/can't do, if they stick with it they will change the laws in the states to restrict some weapons and/or access.

3 hours ago, gurn said:

How many tips do the FBI get everyday? How many FBI agents are there? How does the FBI decide which tips to investigate immediately versus ones they can get to later?

The armed deputy had a handgun, so either flat out fear got the better of him or he did the math of hand gun range and ammo load versus rifle range and ammo load and decided he'd end up dead.

So young teenagers die because the FBI are too busy?   WELL hire more then . . .   So, teachers and coaches completely defenseless with nothing take bullets for the chance that a kid can live.   A deputy with something does nothing . . .  Another WOW . . .    Too bad I couldn't give you a negative vote . . .

Lots of fingers being pointed at the deputy who didn't go in the school.

And yes, he should have gone in.

But the fact is, even if he did, the chances he would have been able to take out the shooter was probably less than 50/50.

A handgun up against an AR15?  I'll take the rifle every time.

Not to mention you have to ask yourself how many kids would have been injured in the crossfire?

Frankly what Trump and the NRA is advocating, i.e. arming teachers or putting AR15 armed police in the schools is not the solution.

Any kid who spends time in a school will know the routine of the guard, and can shoot him down... and they will also know which teacher has a weapon.

And imagine the carnage if a guard and a shooter are exchanging fire with AR15's over the heads of kids?

The only sensible solution is to remove the AR15/assault rifle... just like it was removed in Canada, Australia, etc. where there were also school/college shootings UNTIL these weapons were removed, and where now there are next to no shootings.

THE US HAS A SCHOOL SHOOTING THREE TIMES A WEEK.

The reason is very simple... too much access to weapons.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5581283/school-shootings-2018-america-us-how-many-florida-parkland-shooting/

3 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

It is not just drugs, the video games they play now they make a realistic images as possible, it might tend to desensitize the actual horror and now to be controversial as well, religion can make it seem the next level is better or paradise.

Not to be even close to advocating guns, the type really doesn't matter, access and penalties do. Of course no one needs 30 shot clips, what the hell do you hunt needing 30 shots?

If a bad dude decides to do something like this they will get guns, it is a little like in Canada and the federal registry, every province already has a registry, it was a useless wast of over 2 billion dollars. Hand guns used available only if you were in a job that required one, now, just about anyone can buy a 45 semi auto for $300 or an AR type for $700 (5 shot clip) not that that matters all that much because to do real damage just use a shot gun and there are 10's of thousands of them in Canada.

Society wants to believe the best in everyone first and truly there aren't as many doing this as could be, one is too much though.

The children will lead to what adults won't/can't do, if they stick with it they will change the laws in the states to restrict some weapons and/or access.

On your first point, I disagree with that premise, as an argument to dismiss gun control. Its used all the time for the NRA and its followers. Maybe the long rifle registry went too far especially how it hit rural Canadians. But the idea of registering, and keeping track, as well as restricting semi-automatic and other classes of guns, is to limit the amount of firearms floating around the country...in general. Which is why there is more knife robberies here than gun robberies. And even if gruesome, one can recover from a knife stabbing easier than a bullet.  Its not impossible to get an illegal gun here, but because its more difficult to get, to steal from someone else, to find, it means less gun violence over all.  That only some of the bad guys looking for a gun will find one. Or it will take too long and thus prevents crimes of passion. Certainly less guns floating around prevents accidental shootings in the home. Nearly 1300 children are shot accidentally at home each year in the US.

I agree with your last statement. At the very least make it difficult for mentally ill people with a history of violence to get a semi-automatic rifle ffs! Which the Orange Emperor eliminated last year because it was an Obama bill.

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

On your first point, I disagree with that premise, its used all the time for the NRA and its followers. Maybe the long rifle registry went too far especially how it hit rural Canadians. But the idea of registering, and keeping track, as well as restricting semi-automatic and other classes of guns, is to limit the amount of firearms floating around the country...in general. Which is why there is more knife robberies here than gun robberies. And even if gruesome, one can recover from a knife stabbing easier than a bullet.  Its not impossible to get an illegal gun here, but because its more difficult to get, to steal from someone else, to find, it means less gun violence over all.  That only some of the bad guys looking for a gun will find one. Or it will take too long and thus prevents crimes of passion. Certainly less guns floating around prevents accidental shootings in the home. Nearly 1300 children are shot accidentally at home each year in the US.

I agree with your last statement. At the very least make it difficult for mentally ill people with a history of violence to get a semi-automatic rifle ffs! Which the Orange Emperor eliminated last year because it was an Obama bill.

I think you missed that all firearms in Canada must be registered in each province, how hard is it to transfer data? The RCMP has just about all the registry information.

10 hours ago, Fanaholic said:

So young teenagers die because the FBI are too busy?   WELL hire more then . . .   So, teachers and coaches completely defenseless with nothing take bullets for the chance that a kid can live.   A deputy with something does nothing . . .  Another WOW . . .    Too bad I couldn't give you a negative vote . . .

If it makes you feel better I'll read some of your other posts, hopefully find one that is a little more coherent and give it a plus; as another poster on this forum pointed out, it works out about the same.

Archived