The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] Josh Bailey, NYI 6-Years $5M AAV

Oregon.Duck

15 minutes ago, 867-five-309 said:

Do people realize many teams passed on him? 

The point is not whether NYI drafted well or if other teams passed on him. The point is that Edmonton didn't even get to make a pick because they made a bad trade.

Barzal was ranked 11th among NA skaters. Had Edmonton kept that pick, they would have had an option of picking him. They could have picked Chabot, who might turn out equally important. The fact is that Edmonton was so impatient that they gave up on a chance to pick up a young player.

Imagine if Edmonton had a good scouting department that could actually identify, 1) Barzal is great, 2) Reinhart isn't going to pan out. Oilers would be scary good if that were the case.

We live in a world where Oilers is nothing but a lucky team that is handed out high draft pick year after year. I don't even wanna think about living in a world where Edmonton is lucky and actually makes good decisions. :P  

3 minutes ago, khay said:

Imagine if Edmonton had a good scouting department that could actually identify, 1) Barzal is great, 2) Reinhart isn't going to pan out. Oilers would be scary good if that were the case.

If Edmonton had kept the pick maybe they take a young sniper out of Minnesota. Lets be thankful things went the way they did.

2 hours ago, coryberg said:

I'm not a fan of this contract. He's the same age as Gagne, with roughly the same amount of games played and lower production (.57ppg vs .53ppg)

Yes he is having a great season but i highly doubt he keeps this up especially during years 4-6. Too much term for a player cashing in on one great season.

Let's offer them Gagner for him then.....

(that phone call does not end well).

This is a great deal for the Isles imo. 

Bailey just took the team-building discount.

He has been a consistently good middle six for years, and the past few is emerging into his prime as a top line forward.  I don't read this as a fluke one year wonder.

That kind of money for a player who produced like he did last year is a great deal.

That kind of money for the player he now is - with that kind of talent in NY - is a very promising result for the Islanders imo.  He would cost A LOT more in free agency, - here they've retained the asset, and at a great price.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Let's offer them Gagner for him then.....

(that phone call does not end well).

This is a great deal for the Isles imo. 

Bailey just took the team-building discount.

He has been a consistently good middle six for years, and the past few is emerging into his prime as a top line forward.  I don't read this as a fluke one year wonder.

That kind of money for a player who produced like he did last year is a great deal.

That kind of money for the player he now is - with that kind of talent in NY - is a very promising result for the Islanders imo.  He would cost A LOT more in free agency, - here they've retained the asset, and at a great price.

Hey if they think they hit a homerun on this deal i would certainly give them a call and offer gagne. I definitely wouldn't be asking for Bailey's contract back though. Put bailey out there with Gagne's linemates in our system and you arent getting these Cinderella numbers. Just a bigger pricetag for way longer. I'll take a pick and use the cap space more wisely. 

The guy has averaged 36 points per season over his 9 year nhl career up until now. He left nothing, he took term and dollars while the taking was good. Good on him for cashing in, huge gamble for the isles. 

12 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Hey if they think they hit a homerun on this deal i would certainly give them a call and offer gagne. I definitely wouldn't be asking for Bailey's contract back though. Put bailey out there with Gagne's linemates in our system and you arent getting these Cinderella numbers. Just a bigger pricetag for way longer. I'll take a pick and use the cap space more

wisely.

There is absolutely no way you put Bailey in Gagner's spot - he'd be a top 6 here - so the point is moot - whereas Gagner remains a depth forward, despite his pedigree, because he's simply not as good as Bailey.

I've seen enough of Gagner - with Cinderella forwards around him in Edmonton, to realize that he's not consistent enough to be considered a Bailey comparable - and for him, a Cinderalla season is what Bailey did last year.  Wake me up when Gagner is scoring at a ppg pace approaching a trade deadline.

This is a great deal for the Isles - and the reality is, he'll continue to be playing with those forwards in NY, so I don't expect to see him in a Gagner role anyday soon.

Archived