The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Hutton unhappy with ice time

Rush17

I'll come out and say it.  I do kinda question how Green is utilizing Hutton.  I know I am not the only one.  Hutton has had his inconsistencies but when played correctly is a solid guy which we saw 2 seasons ago and even last year for some solid lengths of time.

If he needs to go cool, but have to wonder if there isn't something we could do to either get him more ice time and success or if Green is just not buying in to him.

Ah well

I think it has been a big mistake to sit Hutton. I don't care how bad he has been playing losing at this point only helps the Canucks anyways and benching him definitely hurts his trade value.  if he was playing bad but still in the lineup I'm sure a few teams would look past that and trade more for him. Bad asset management when your telling the league you don't like your valuable trade asset.  Felt it was a similar situation with Suban. 

Trading sooner rather than than later would have been better in both cases. 

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'll come out and say it.  I do kinda question how Green is utilizing Hutton.  I know I am not the only one.  Hutton has had his inconsistencies but when played correctly is a solid guy which we saw 2 seasons ago and even last year for some solid lengths of time.

If he needs to go cool, but have to wonder if there isn't something we could do to either get him more ice time and success or if Green is just not buying in to him.

Ah well

Well, it's hard to say what's going on in the background. We don't really know if anything happened between player and coach or if Hutton wasn't buying into being a pro off the ice. There could be more than what meets the eye. But I think it's safe to say that Biega shouldn't be getting any regular action for the rest of the year. We need to make sure Hutton, Pouliot and Holm get as much ice time as possible. I wouldn't be opposed to sitting MDZ out a couple games either. 

Just now, peaches5 said:

one of the trade rumours threads that was talking about Hutton I don't recall which one.

Ok sorry. Yeah I think I just saw it. Not sure of making a seperate page topic good for Jim's trade stock. But kinda late to shut it down now. Doubt we affect his value that much. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wouldn't any player be unhappy if he's healthy scratched?  How is that at all speculation?  It's kind of obvious, no?

We shouldn't trade Hutton though.  He needs to get into proper shape, and then we might have a top four Dman with offence.

shouldn't he have done that already? I dunno, I think he's the player I'd miss the least from our current D group. Hasn't lived up to the bridge deal at all imo. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

shouldn't he have done that already? I dunno, I think he's the player I'd miss the least from our current D group. Hasn't lived up to the bridge deal at all imo. 

Green said that Hutton needs to commit to office ice professional habits.  We have a few guys in that category: Hutton, Jake (who appears to have figured that part out) and Pouliot. I don't have the quotes from Green at hand, but I have heard/read him say as much.

His play has been uninspired at best when he was out there.

Whether it's a confidence or drive issue is unknown, but he's definitely not made the most of his chances when he has had them.

Biega works his ass off game in, game out. He's not the most talented guy by any stretch, but the team seems to play better with him in the lineup.

The team does not play better with Hutton in the lineup. So... guess who plays?

Hutton is still a talented kid, but he needs to step it up when he does play.

15 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Maybe the defensive coaching is a factor, particularly Nolan Baumgartner.  Guddy hasn't looked great here either as has the rest of the D as a whole aside from Tanev.

They just arent good enough, either.

Archived