The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Hutton unhappy with ice time

Rush17

Scratching a D on a horrible team can't help his trade value. But teams looking at Hutton are seeing it as a reclamation project or a depth move. Maybe Columbus goes after him if they can sign and decide to trade J. Johnson?

I like Hutton, but he seems like the odd man out and Edler is here for at least another year so someone on the left side should get move. Would love to try and pry Lemieux from Winnipeg but doubt they move him for Hutton

I get that these guys want to play, but Hutton has been regressing since the first 3/4ers of his rookie season and has seemingly done nothing to work on the holes in his game.

If you want to be on the ice, you have to push a lot harder than Hutton does.

Not to mention the fact that he's like 6'3" and plays softer than a miniman like Stecher.

Hutton is nothing like the same player he was when he won a position out of training camp a few years back. The bigger he got, the slower he became. Although his defensive game was/is skeptical, I remember the way he could hold the blue line and rush the puck in, but now he can't even do that. He's like the defense version of Jake Virtanen.

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Green said that Hutton needs to commit to office ice professional habits.  We have a few guys in that category: Hutton, Jake (who appears to have figured that part out) and Pouliot. I don't have the quotes from Green at hand, but I have heard/read him say as much.

i checked his playing history on Dobber.... he's had decent time with quite the range of partners from OK, to bad, to good, (Sbisa, Bartkowski, Tanev, etc) and decent first couple of seasons so its not like he needs one guy to play with. If its his habits playing into it now, once he's getting paid more thats pretty bad. I'd rather move him out for someone more committed.

no big deal - "I just want to play" is generic enough, but does imply he'd rather be somewhere else playing than here competing to.

Realistically, he's competing with Pouliot - and inevitably Juolevi as well, for minutes....

He's in that group of Stecher, Pouliot, Biega, Hutton - I think Stecher has shown a clear edge over him, Pouliot's skillset combined with his relative competence without the puck imo gives him an edge over Hutton, Juolevi will leapfrog him with ease, and Biega is a more solid defensive blueliner than he is, and brings more physical edge on a consistent basis  = it doesn't look good for Hutton's chances.

Hutton stepped up nicely for a few games when he was threatened by Pouliot, but since then, he's not really making the decision for Green that difficult.

I'm sure Green would like to play him - but that's as much up to Hutton as it is Green.

He hasn't been good since his rookie year, and is about as much a threat to score as Gaunce was when he was approaching 100 games without a goal. 

He barely hits, He's got a muffin of a shot. Yes he's good skating the puck out of the zone but then the play dies in the offensive zone, Matt Bartowski did the same thing. 

He's good for a smile or an interview but so was Eddie Lack and he'll be playing in Sweden to start next season. 

8 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Hutton is nothing like the same player he was when he won a position out of training camp a few years back. The bigger he got, the slower he became. Although his defensive game was/is skeptical, I remember the way he could hold the blue line and rush the puck in, but now he can't even do that. He's like the defense version of Jake Virtanen.

I think it's his decision-making and confidence with the puck on his stick that has regressed.  He just doesn't move the puck as effectively or decisively and perhaps in part as a result, he also doesn't carry the puck as well.  He was quite confident with looking off defenders, misdirecting them when carrying the puck, moving it unpredictably - that's what showed so much promise in him imo - but he hasn't been able to sustain it at the NHL level.   He certainly has potential though - and we've also seen that he can be assertive physically when he's amped up - but he doesn't seem to be able to maintain the kind of mental urgency/intent that he needs to.

49 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'll come out and say it.  I do kinda question how Green is utilizing Hutton.  I know I am not the only one.  Hutton has had his inconsistencies but when played correctly is a solid guy which we saw 2 seasons ago and even last year for some solid lengths of time.

If he needs to go cool, but have to wonder if there isn't something we could do to either get him more ice time and success or if Green is just not buying in to him.

Ah well

I think party boi B Hutt is getting played out. His swag would be fine if he was putting in the work and playing/training with some desperation. Needs to hang out with Stetcher more.

45 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Maybe the defensive coaching is a factor, particularly Nolan Baumgartner.  Guddy hasn't looked great here either as has the rest of the D as a whole aside from Tanev.

I whole-heartedly disagree and think Ed-Gud is one of the best pairings we've had in the last few years. 

I don't see what Hutton has done to earn ice time. He's been very inconsistent, showing up sometimes and plays a hard, disciplined game, then would waffle on shots, and lose coverage on his check in the worst, most glaring way.

I don't see him being long for this team.

7 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I whole-heartedly disagree and think Ed-Gud is one of the best pairings we've had in the last few years. 

yes - and "Hey Nikita, how would you like to play alongside this guy?"

Gud with a year (of health) to get some momentum, and Tryamkin leaning towards returning "when he's ready".....that could be just an epic shutdown pairing.

I won't be upset to see Hutton go.  Im sorry but If youre unhappy with your ice time, work harder.

Do you see Jake *****ing if he gets less ice? Or scratched?  No you see Jake work even harder to earn every second he gets.

Entitlement gets you nowhere Ben.

Archived