The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Hutton unhappy with ice time

Rush17

On 23/02/2018 at 9:49 AM, Warhippy said:

I'll come out and say it.  I do kinda question how Green is utilizing Hutton.  I know I am not the only one.  Hutton has had his inconsistencies but when played correctly is a solid guy which we saw 2 seasons ago and even last year for some solid lengths of time.

If he needs to go cool, but have to wonder if there isn't something we could do to either get him more ice time and success or if Green is just not buying in to him.

Ah well

The problem is he hasn't been solid since 2 seasons ago, and even then he was more promise than deliver... he just hasn't developed much since then. I know this forum has a love fest for Hutton, but he's basically connaughton right now. Expendable.

7 hours ago, Yotes said:

I think Edler had a pretty bad game last night. I doubt this guy ever waives his NTC. 

Edler directly caused 2 goals against and took another penalty.

Edler fan boys are now happy with him because he's had a half decent month or so otherwise the first half of this season and years past he's been a huge disappointment and really really hurt this team with his horrible defensive game.

Of course the pain in the ass Sally doesn't want to leave he's been an overpaid bum and had the red carpet laid out for him for years.

Too bad he didn't want to go to a contender probably scared he'll be horrible and it'd backfire.

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Trading Edler and keeping Tanev is the best move to help the young players while getting pieces for the future. I'm not saying trade both.

Extending Edler would be beyond ridiculous. If we want a player that can simply play 22 minutes a game sign a vet to a one year deal.

I agree completely and Tanev is twice the player Edler is defensively. Pretty rare you ever see Tanev screw up and get scored on but Edler has cost us tonnes of goals against this season and lot's of losses.

Getting rid of Tanev and keeping Edler would be a huge mistake really hurting the teams chances of future success. Really it's very hard to find a player of Tanev's abilities defensively the guy couldn't be better at defending and I'd say he's likely one of the best in the league at it.

I really wish this soft Sally Edler would waive to a contender I've never been so sick of a Canucks player. Maybe his stock is a bit higher lately with scouts watching our defense for a while now and his playing a bit better as of late might get more return.

This is very encouraging: it's nice having context to what's going on. Here are some sections of the article. Recommend the full read.

We’ve had a lot of conversations,” Hutton said of Green.

“I feel anyone who takes the time to talk to you — whether they’re easy or hard on you — they want the most out of you. It would be worse if he didn’t say anything to me.”

What Green is saying is that not only has Hutton’s game dropped off in 18:56 of average ice time, his commitment to being a consummate professional has to become his primary focus. In that respect, it’s no different than the tough love Green dispensed on Jake Virtanen, who’s starting to show his true NHL potential after spending most of last season in the AHL.

Virtanen is fitter, stronger, faster and processing the game better. You can’t say that about Hutton, because as another third-year pro playing a tough position, everybody knows is name and his game. Teams play Hutton harder. They make it difficult for him to defend and transition and that means his strength, speed and smarts need to improve.

Once they get to know your tendencies, that’s definitely a factor,” agreed Hutton. “It’s a lot tougher mentally but just another battle I have to face and just attack it. I’ve had a couple of good years here. Everyone faces adversity and I’m going through it right now and get over that hump.”

“It’s doing everything you can to play your best hockey in practice or a game,” added Green. “It’s a fine line when he’s playing good and not. His play hasn’t been as good as it was at a certain point in the year. It dipped a bit, but it hasn’t gone down in the dumps. There are certain things I want and he knows exactly what they are and when that happens he will play.

“For me, with the young guys, it’s not all about what you’re doing in games. It’s becoming a great pro and we need to get him re-focused. I still have high hopes. I think he’s going through some adversity. He’s a young D-man learning his way. He’s going to be fine.”

Full article below:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/kuzma-frustrated-hutton-the-latest-young-player-to-get-greens-tough-love/amp

Sounds like Hutton is just getting some hard love. If that's the case whom on the left side goes? 

Travis may think he will be ok.  But does Jim view him a core piece? That is unknown.

First 3 paragraphs from the article discuss the TDL:

I’m frustrated,” said Hutton. “I want to be in the lineup and play. With that being said, I’ve got to come to the rink and be a good teammate and continue to work hard.”

All this has led to speculation of a disconnect with Green and that the 24-year-old blueliner would request a trade, or at least welcome one before the National Hockey League deadline on Monday. Hutton stressed there’s no validity to either assumption.

You usually showcase a player you’re thinking of trading or you have little contact with someone who’s not a part of the future. Hutton isn’t playing but staying is his preferred career choice.

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Another player the Canucks aren't potentially trading. CDC might have a meltdown after the trade deadline is passed lol

I'm thinking maybe MDZ is the odd man out lol.  If they think Holm is a fit move out the other guy in his late 20's. :)

On 2/23/2018 at 9:49 AM, Warhippy said:

I'll come out and say it.  I do kinda question how Green is utilizing Hutton.  I know I am not the only one.  Hutton has had his inconsistencies but when played correctly is a solid guy which we saw 2 seasons ago and even last year for some solid lengths of time.

If he needs to go cool, but have to wonder if there isn't something we could do to either get him more ice time and success or if Green is just not buying in to him.

Ah well

Glad somebody said it.

He's one of the few defenders we have that's, actually, been able to play defense.

When he first entered the league, fans were so happy he scored points, it seemed they forgot that he had to play a little d. His own zone coverage was brutal.

Now he's playing better defensively (which I think makes him better) but the points haven't been there. 

It seems I'm one of the few who likes him better now than before. He's more reliable. 

Maybe if we could add a couple more solid dmen instead of these soft, underwhelming castoffs (MDZ, Pouliot, Gagner), Hutton may be doing a little better.

I've not liked the direction our dcore has taken for a while now. 

Although our entire line-up is soft, with the exception of Guddy (at times), it is particularly noticeable on our blueline. 

I believe Guddy is a good defenseman but is in the wrong mix here. 

He's a big, physical defender but isn't the fleetest of foot. The rest are smallish, faster skaters, more geared for an offensive game. This is great, but none are really providing the offense and are very weak in the defensive zone. 

This is why I keep proposing guys like Andrew Nielson out of Toronto's system or Erik Cernak out of Tampa. None may be offensive stars but as a group, Hutton, Cernak, Nielson, and Guddy would be very formidable. Add a couple prospects like Noah Dobson, Bode Wilde or K'Andre Miller to that core and they become very strong. 

Juolevi                    Dobson/Wilde

Hutton                    Cernak

Nielson                   Guddy

Miller

That, imo, is a real solid blueline.

No superstars.

None are going to blow audiences away with immense speed or magical puck skills, but all are going to provide decent offense and will be defensively solid, making few mistakes. This is a blueline built for the Pacific division and is the type built for playoff runs.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

This is very encouraging: it's nice having context to what's going on. Here are some sections of the article. Recommend the full read.

We’ve had a lot of conversations,” Hutton said of Green.

“I feel anyone who takes the time to talk to you — whether they’re easy or hard on you — they want the most out of you. It would be worse if he didn’t say anything to me.”

What Green is saying is that not only has Hutton’s game dropped off in 18:56 of average ice time, his commitment to being a consummate professional has to become his primary focus. In that respect, it’s no different than the tough love Green dispensed on Jake Virtanen, who’s starting to show his true NHL potential after spending most of last season in the AHL.

Virtanen is fitter, stronger, faster and processing the game better. You can’t say that about Hutton, because as another third-year pro playing a tough position, everybody knows is name and his game. Teams play Hutton harder. They make it difficult for him to defend and transition and that means his strength, speed and smarts need to improve.

Once they get to know your tendencies, that’s definitely a factor,” agreed Hutton. “It’s a lot tougher mentally but just another battle I have to face and just attack it. I’ve had a couple of good years here. Everyone faces adversity and I’m going through it right now and get over that hump.”

“It’s doing everything you can to play your best hockey in practice or a game,” added Green. “It’s a fine line when he’s playing good and not. His play hasn’t been as good as it was at a certain point in the year. It dipped a bit, but it hasn’t gone down in the dumps. There are certain things I want and he knows exactly what they are and when that happens he will play.

“For me, with the young guys, it’s not all about what you’re doing in games. It’s becoming a great pro and we need to get him re-focused. I still have high hopes. I think he’s going through some adversity. He’s a young D-man learning his way. He’s going to be fine.”

Full article below:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/kuzma-frustrated-hutton-the-latest-young-player-to-get-greens-tough-love/amp

Smilin’ Ben is my favourite current Canuck so hopefully he works through his issues here. I’d hate to see him flourish in say Boston.

12 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

A general comment. Several years ago the site was bearable but not lately. 

Yeah, I’m not a huge fan of JD Burke. I know he works hard and can respect that he’s taken a strong stance on the regime, but he often lacks professionalism and seems to let it get too personal with the way he’s repeatedly brought snipes and snark to his criticism of management. It would be fine if he was just an occasional contributor who ran with that kind of shtick, but as the managing editor of the website, he should lead by example, stick with reporting facts (including the unpopular ones), and keep the snide comments to himself. He’s been a little better lately but some of his antics over the past few years have really hurt the brand and made the entire website feel overly biased. This is unfortunate because some of their contributors do really good work but now they all end up painted with the same brush and dismissed as “fake news” by many on CDC.

5 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

A general comment. Several years ago the site was bearable but not lately. 

Once you gain a reputation, it's really hard to shake. Used to enjoy HNIC, then the 2011 crap was thrown at us. I now watch snippets and find it hard to watch anything that includes Craig Simpson.

Was listening to my 10 minutes a week of am1040 and ex NHLer Mike Commodore was laying into Babcock for labeling him 'lazy'. Said he never shook that label.

I too have been put off CA. I now wait for good Samaritans like @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME to let me know when there's a good article.

Could be some off ice issues, whether it's partying or not enough time in the gym or not taking things seriously enough. Green wants him to be an NHL pro on and off the ice. Hopefully he does what Green wants and gets over this hump. I think he could still be traded. Canucks have Juolevi coming up next season.

30 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Could be some off ice issues, whether it's partying or not enough time in the gym or not taking things seriously enough. Green wants him to be an NHL pro on and off the ice. Hopefully he does what Green wants and gets over this hump. I think he could still be traded. Canucks have Juolevi coming up next season.

Hopefully him playing tonight is a good sign. The scratches make much more sense to me if his issues were off ice and more about pro habits and preparation than his actual on ice results. Not saying he’s been all that good in the games this season, but he hasn’t been truly worse than many of the other Ds. So a little refresher course on what it takes to be a pro may help him in the long run.

Hopefully playing tonight also means he’s off the block as far as trades. I can’t see how one game before the TDL would move the needle on his value or really change anything in the minds of GMs considering him. What it does do is create injury risk (albeit very small) which would be a strange move if they were hoping to move him later today or tomorrow.

I suppose it’s possible some teams want to see him suit up for a game before they commit to a trade. We’ll see what happens over the next day or so. But I’m thinking Hutton probably remains a Canuck tomorrow.

18 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, I’m not a huge fan of JD Burke. I know he works hard and can respect that he’s taken a strong stance on the regime, but he often lacks professionalism and seems to let it get too personal with the way he’s repeatedly brought snipes and snark to his criticism of management. It would be fine if he was just an occasional contributor who ran with that kind of shtick, but as the managing editor of the website, he should lead by example, stick with reporting facts (including the unpopular ones), and keep the snide comments to himself. He’s been a little better lately but some of his antics over the past few years have really hurt the brand and made the entire website feel overly biased. This is unfortunate because some of their contributors do really good work but now they all end up painted with the same brush and dismissed as “fake news” by many on CDC.

Ever since their staff started getting hired by teams, the arrogance has really come out.  Shows especially when they're wrong and have to backtrack -- will never admit their models are wrong, only that somehow it must be an exception.

Archived