The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[3-Way Trade] Penguins acquire Derick Brassard, Vincent Dunn, Tobias Lindberg, 3rd-round pick (OTT); Senators acquire Ian Cole, Filip Gustavsson, 1st-round pick (PIT), 2019 3rd-round pick (PIT); Golden Knights acquire Ryan Reaves, 4th-round pick (VAN)

51 minutes ago, lethunder said:

I read that they did it because apparently Winnipeg was heavily in the mix for Brassard and Vegas figured it better to help facilitate a trade to help Pittsburgh instead where the odds of facing the Penguins I'm the SCF are much lower than facing the Jets in an earlier round. 

Just a good ol fashioned c*ckblock

LOL

thanks for the insight.  that's interesting.

and the price being so low, I could see why the LVK would not want Winnipeg being able to add without touching their roster.

that said, if Lowry returns I like the Jets center group regardless.

I'd laugh if the Jets wound up adding a guy like Mark Stone instead lol.  Wont' be holding my breath, but so much for the c-block.

Anyhow it'll be interestng to see what Yzerman does.

Or the Leafs lol.  All-in for Rick Nash!!

The Jets swoop in and poach a Zuccarello or....Kreider.

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Love the way Vegas is monetizing their CAP space. Jimmy has to take notice. The big advantage to not resigning the Twins is the CAP space created for Benning to deal on. 

Coud still re-sign the twins, for example 3.5 million each (or less), and still have 7 million in cap space (or more) to work any deal like this. Then the following year if they decide to retire or have another year at an even lower salary, then there's more to work with then. If we had 14 million in extra cap space and a lot of it is unused, it could lead to a thinking that they have a lot to work with and sign unnecessary free agents or take on more than they can chew. I can imagine there's a crowd too that will be disappointed if we have a lot of leftover cap space that is being unused as well who don't look at the long term picture.

So as far as Vegas goes they paid 2.5 million dollars for a 4th round pick and Reaves. I remember the NHL getting rid of cash deals years ago (Gretzky rule), I'm thinking the NHL should reword the rules in the next CBA. Maybe put in writing that a player must be property of a team for a full season before you can retain his salary (they have a time frame on re-acquiring a player, why not  trading as well), it's clearly a cap circumvention loophole.

Maybe they can retroactively punish the teams that do this after the fact :P

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Love the way Vegas is monetizing their CAP space. Jimmy has to take notice. The big advantage to not resigning the Twins is the CAP space created for Benning to deal on. 

Right from one of his first moves in ditching Garrison for a pick, it seemed Benning realizes capspace is golden currency in a cap era.  Downside was his comment a year or so ago in which he said he wasn't interested in taking on cap-dump players, but hopefully now with the way they've structured contracts they can and will do so for the next couple of years, especially if the Sedins do not return.  Not just Sedins now but Edler/MDZ are done next year, Tanev/Gagner/Markstrom the next, then Gudbranson/Sutter, then Eriksson.  Aside from Bo at 5.5 those are our only medium-to-big contracts.  It's a beautiful cascade, really. 

Ottawa wants to hitch Ryan onto Karlsson but that will really reduce his attractiveness to contenders (who are capped-out) and not to mention the return value.  The Sharks have the space to make it happen, but we could be a third player in that as well.  Aside from Boeser, we're 3-4 years away from having to sign any big long-term deals, and that's assuming that kids who aren't even here yet burst onto the scene and rip it up.

21 minutes ago, coryberg said:

So as far as Vegas goes they paid 2.5 million dollars for a 4th round pick and Reaves. I remember the NHL getting rid of cash deals years ago (Gretzky rule), I'm thinking the NHL should reword the rules in the next CBA. Maybe put in writing that a player must be property of a team for a full season before you can retain his salary (they have a time frame on re-acquiring a player, why not  trading as well), it's clearly a cap circumvention loophole.

Maybe they can retroactively punish the teams that do this after the fact :P

That rule will only come retroactive to when the Canucks make a move like this unfortunately.

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

but what did vegas really get for retaining 40% of Brassard?

They traded Lingberg, Dunn and a 3rd and ended up with 40% retention of brassard this year and next plus our 4th from pitts and reeves?

On 23/02/2018 at 2:19 PM, Sean Monahan said:

Yeah, after giving up that pick along with so many other assets you’d be left at a bit of a crossroads. If that pick ends up top 5, or even 10, as it looks to be that trade looks horrendous. You’d almost be better doubling down and adding win-now pieces to keep that pick in the 15+ range. 

No, that would be dumb. They had a great year last season, which is why they tried to enhance the team. They thought playoffs were the goal.

Obviously now they need to rebuild but doubling down to change a Western Conferences team puck would be just stupid.

It's gone, who cares?

Archived