-Vintage Canuck-

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights

Rate this topic

21 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Typical of Sm'army and their pseudo-cult.  They will admit things don't turn out as they expect but their response?  The model said so, and the model cannot be questioned so we will not discard it no matter how many times it fails.  Yes, that is irrational and blinded thinking.

Seems to be a pouty foot-stamping reaction to Gudbranson being extended.  They cannot deal with it as adults so have to try to justify their "he's a bum" narrative; ironically, by creating more false narratives.  Even funnier is how Sportsnet parrots it and likewise discredits themselves.  Don't recall them or TSN ever purposely isolating any skater and ridiculing them as they did last night, very unprofessional.  They're all making themselves look like fools.

I think you should check your premises: i.e. whether your loyalty is to your own eyes or to being a fanboy.  Gudbranson looked like a drunken oaf in that game, he just blundered around looking confused all game long.  The last few games before he got his contract, he looked like he deserved one - then he gets his new contract... and that abominable performance and all the fanboys making excuses for him?  Give me break.  He played like a bum, and Horvat still plays like a third line centre at best - without a good third line centre's strong own zone coverage.  Because so many people are such fan boys, they look at the team with stars in their eyes and over-rate their players; then when the players can't perform, they make excuses for them.  Vancouver has been awful the past few seasons for good reason, we have guys who are not up to NHL standards at virtually all positions.  Just review the standings over the past few years; or are people going to argue, that just like +/-, the standings are misleading?!

We are right down there with the teams that Vancouver fanboys like to laugh at.  The only positive might be Benning's ability to spot talent, but the problem is, only one of his draft picks has made the team, so far, in all of his tenure.  Will that change?  We'll only know if the wreckage that is the current team is swept out of the way for the young guys to take their place.  The young guys are mostly coming from winning environments and still know what it feels like to win.  Half of a rebuild is getting rid of all the guys who have gotten used to losing. and who have adopted losing habits - why on earth would you want your new young talent to 'learn the ropes' from a bunch of guys who only know how to lose?

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I think you should check your premises: i.e. whether your loyalty is to your own eyes or to being a fanboy.  Gudbranson looked like a drunken oaf in that game, he just blundered around looking confused all game long.  The last few games before he got his contract, he looked like he deserved one - then he gets his new contract... and that abominable performance and all the fanboys making excuses for him?  Give me break.  He played like a bum, and Horvat still plays like a third line centre at best - without a good third line centre's strong own zone coverage.  Because so many people are such fan boys, they look at the team with stars in their eyes and over-rate their players; then when the players can't perform, they make excuses for them.  Vancouver has been awful the past few seasons for good reason, we have guys who are not up to NHL standards at virtually all positions.  Just review the standings over the past few years; or are people going to argue, that just like +/-, the standings are misleading?!

We are right down there with the teams that Vancouver fanboys like to laugh at.  The only positive might be Benning's ability to spot talent, but the problem is, only one of his draft picks has made the team, so far, in all of his tenure.  Will that change?  We'll only know if the wreckage that is the current team is swept out of the way for the young guys to take their place.  The young guys are mostly coming from winning environments and still know what it feels like to win.  Half of a rebuild is getting rid of all the guys who have gotten used to losing. and who have adopted losing habits - why on earth would you want your new young talent to 'learn the ropes' from a bunch of guys who only know how to lose?

You really should remove that cathode it is making you really grouchy and negative. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, spur1 said:

You really should remove that cathode it is making you really grouchy and negative. 

Try realistic.

32 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Markstrom's not as bad for it as Nilsson. Its not always a bad thing to use their size and seal off the bottom, Markstrom, for the most part, has a good balance in his game and is able to move around the crease pretty good. But for Nilsson its like its his instinct as a goalie to instantly go down & guys have the book on him. 

Yes, Markstrom's not as bad, perhaps because he was better before Cloutier started changing them.  Hadn't seen much of Nilsson before this season, but their styles are so similar now it has to be related to the coaching.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I think you should check your premises: i.e. whether your loyalty is to your own eyes or to being a fanboy.  Gudbranson looked like a drunken oaf in that game, he just blundered around looking confused all game long. 

You missed the point.  Never said he had a good game, in fact said in the GDT that he and Edler obviously struggled.  The goal where he took out Nilsson was obviously his fault, but these "analysts" putting up clips of him with the intent to blame him are clearly off-base and rightly being called out for it.

The "premises" that need to be checked are the ones who are obsessed over Gudbranson, same as the ones who were over Kassian and Sbisa when they were here.  It's fine to have a belief or position but to put up poor evidence to try to substantiate it just discredits one's position.

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

You missed the point.  Never said he had a good game, in fact said in the GDT that he and Edler obviously struggled.  The goal where he took out Nilsson was obviously his fault, but these "analysts" putting up clips of him with the intent to blame him are clearly off-base and rightly being called out for it.

The "premises" that need to be checked are the ones who are obsessed over Gudbranson, same as the ones who were over Kassian and Sbisa when they were here.  It's fine to have a belief or position but to put up poor evidence to try to substantiate it just discredits one's position.

Wagner wasn't - 11 minutes after he posted the initial clip he tweeted to clarify that he thought it was Horvat's guy. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Wagner wasn't - 11 minutes after he posted the initial clip he tweeted to clarify that he thought it was Horvat's guy. 

Interesting how some neglected to do the same when they re-posted it... and in more than one place.

18 hours ago, 1-d said:

That's what happens when you give a player contract based on what you think he is, instead of what he really is.

Aaron Rome, Ryan Stanton and Andrew Alberts did what Gudbranson is supposed to do, more willingly and at much cheaper price tag.

2m then is 4m now ....  dig deeper if you want.  Seems to be a ditch your in anyway.

its not hard to see why a legit #1 D like D Doughtey has said he’ll never sign here, why would they with down and out fans like yourself.

where we are as a TEAM is highly optimistic..   bet that’s a word you choke on shoveling in the Pigs Pen.

Edited by SilentSam

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yes, Markstrom's not as bad, perhaps because he was better before Cloutier started changing them.  Hadn't seen much of Nilsson before this season, but their styles are so similar now it has to be related to the coaching.

I think this sums up my evaluation of Markstrom as well pretty accurate. Not going to lie I saw potential for him to be a #1 in the future he did seem to have it or have the ability to have it and he no joke used to remind me of Luongo a lot, and I really had high hopes to see him develop into a Luongo style goalie he seemed to be on that path, he was big covered the net well and was quick for a big Goalie, he just reminded me of Luongo so much before. But now, and I mentioned this earlier in the year that his style isn't the same anymore as it used to be and it really has started to remind me of Cloutiers style of play when he used to play here, and it's ruining both the Goalies games imo, because I'm seeing Clotuier style in both their games. I definitely don't see Markstrom capable of being a #1 anymore with this newer style then the style he used to play with, and imo they need to get Cloutier out of here asap before he ruins our future goaltending.

• Hydration 3

They should have known this was gonna happen when they signed Mr. Dan "The Sieve" Cloutier as goalie coach....Sigh

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Ohh snap

Lind possibly up next year ,^^

Just saying :D Next year maybe :)))

9 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Gudbranson's performance is all of the evidence needed.  If that is what he is going to bring for 4 mil a year, we are in trouble.

8 hours ago, SilentSam said:

2m then is 4m now ....  dig deeper if you want.  Seems to be a ditch your in anyway.

its not hard to see why a legit #1 D like D Doughtey has said he’ll never sign here, why would they with down and out fans like yourself.

where we are as a TEAM is highly optimistic..   bet that’s a word you choke on shoveling in the Pigs Pen.

I call BS on your salary numbers - the cap in 2011/2012 was 64 mil, it sure as heck isn't 128 mil now.  Seems like your theory is in the ditch.

7 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Gudbranson's performance is all of the evidence needed.  If that is what he is going to bring for 4 mil a year, we are in trouble.

We need a complete rebuild on the back end. Draft Defense until we have that and then move on to the forwards.

9 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I call BS on your salary numbers - the cap in 2011/2012 was 64 mil, it sure as heck isn't 128 mil now.  Seems like your theory is in the ditch.

My faux pas on my post.  In other posts I have said 3m was what 4m is next season.  That’s a 25% increase.   And that’s relative to 10 years ago, which isn’t far off.

Gudbranson is making 3.5, and has signed for 4m next season...   and now the sky is falling.

On 2/24/2018 at 3:13 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Except Cloutier was working with Markstrom before... He started out in Utica when Markstrom was coming up. And Markstrom was great in Utica's run to the final & good behind Miller. (I don't really agree that their styles are the same now, Markstrom still relies on his athleticism, Nilsson is still always down early as he's always been)

I don't think either of us are privy to the details of what Clouts is working on them with at the moment. (Unless you have some intel?) Maybe he is stressing things now that he hasn't stressed with Markstrom in the past like you say, its possible. Or maybe the team infront of them just sucks, Nilsson is a backup goalie, Markstrom isn't Roberto Luongo & its not all on the goalie coach. 

8 hours ago, SilentSam said:

My faux pas on my post.  In other posts I have said 3m was what 4m is next season.  That’s a 25% increase.   And that’s relative to 10 years ago, which isn’t far off.

Gudbranson is making 3.5, and has signed for 4m next season...   and now the sky is falling.

Blasted skies will do that.