The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] EDM-CBJ-NSH Letestu for Aberg

Oregon.Duck

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

not sure i agree with you on that

dorian is doing a masterful job of staying in the run for worst gm

and he got a new contract for his work

See I had him in the running too.  But I had to be totally objective here and see a few parallels before coming to that conclusion

Dorion stepped in late 2016 before Murray passed (RIP) and he immediately headed that team to the ECF.  He went all in and rightfully so.

Aside from the Duchene trade which backfired horribly he is stepping in to a rebuild in his first full year as GM.  He did quite well with Brassard, didn't do too badly on Phaneuf by shedding that 7 million.  Is basically saying straight up take Ryan with karlsson or find a way to make it work thus ensuring Gms know what he is wanting

Which is to shed cap by the truckload.  He's still got some solid young pieces and while losing next years first hurts.  Stepping in and making a mistake the size of Duchene hurts no question

But weigh that against

Bergevin since 2010/2011

Chiarelli 2015

And look at them vs Dorion.  I won't judge Dorion for 2-3 years while they destroyed their teams for years to come

Like seriously, how do you give a goalie a ten million contract?

How do you manage to lose two 1st overall picks for nothing on one team and a 2nd overall for scraps on another?

And looking at Letestu's playoffs last year that guy elevated himself like few others did.  Just tossed him for a hope in a small winger who hasn't shown he can do it in the NHL yet.  Crazy

5 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think it’s a great deal for the Oilers. Aberg buried in some pretty good forward depth on the Preds. Still young and has a great AHL resume. Wonder if Nashville is clearing out a contract for a future trade! Incoming Sedins to Nashville ;) I know it’s not happening just let me dream.

Roster limits are lifted at the TDL.  That's why they are only going to be signing Fisher tomorrow.

Sedins are way too slow for Nashville.  

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

See I had him in the running too.  But I had to be totally objective here and see a few parallels before coming to that conclusion

Dorion stepped in late 2016 before Murray passed (RIP) and he immediately headed that team to the ECF.  He went all in and rightfully so.

Aside from the Duchene trade which backfired horribly he is stepping in to a rebuild in his first full year as GM.  He did quite well with Brassard, didn't do too badly on Phaneuf by shedding that 7 million.  Is basically saying straight up take Ryan with karlsson or find a way to make it work thus ensuring Gms know what he is wanting

Which is to shed cap by the truckload.  He's still got some solid young pieces and while losing next years first hurts.  Stepping in and making a mistake the size of Duchene hurts no question

But weigh that against

Bergevin since 2010/2011

Chiarelli 2015

And look at them vs Dorion.  I won't judge Dorion for 2-3 years while they destroyed their teams for years to come

How do you manage to lose two 1st overall picks for nothing on one team and a 2nd overall for scraps on another?

And looking at Letestu's playoffs last year that guy elevated himself like few others did.  Just tossed him for a hope in a small winger who hasn't shown he can do it in the NHL yet.  Crazy

good argument

but you overlook the burrows deal.. kinda ugly from an ottawa perspective

they just waived burrows

and we have in exchange one of the top wingers not yet playing in the nhl

he may still not work out, but if he does, then sens will view that as a horrible trade

they basically gave away an almost elite young player for a warm body

and both bergevin and chia pet looked like they were making solid moves

which only appear to not be solid in the past year or 2

though i really cannot explain the price contract

they clearly learned nothing from the canucks luongo deal.. and price deal is even worse

26 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

But weigh that against

Bergevin since 2010/2011

Chiarelli 2015

Duchene is close to a PPG player since 1 January - 23pts in 24 games.  It took him some time to get going.

Turris over that same stretch has 6pts in 21 games and has 24pts in 44 games for Nashvile.

1 hour ago, Canadian Clay said:

Not sure what sets aberg apart from guys like slepyshev, caguilla, or pujliarvi right now. think they wouldve been better off just trading letestu straight to columbus for a draft pick

A draft pick over a young player who has scored 30 in the AHL?  Why?

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

good argument

but you overlook the burrows deal.. kinda ugly from an ottawa perspective

they just waived burrows

and we have in exchange one of the top wingers not yet playing in the nhl

he may still not work out, but if he does, then sens will view that as a horrible trade

they basically gave away an almost elite young player for a warm body

and both bergevin and chia pet looked like they were making solid moves

which only appear to not be solid in the past year or 2

though i really cannot explain the price contract

they clearly learned nothing from the canucks luongo deal.. and price deal is even worse

I didn't actually as I include Burrows in the all encompassing went for it last year statement

Yes it's bad, no question.  Burrows has been waived.

I have no choice but to wait 2-3 years on Dorion while Bergevin and Chia pet duke it out for the Milbury  award

54 minutes ago, mll said:

Duchene is close to a PPG player since 1 January - 23pts in 24 games.  It took him some time to get going.

Turris over that same stretch has 6pts in 21 games and has 24pts in 44 games for Nashvile.

It's not always about the player.  It was about the time of the Duchene trade that Ottawa's fortunes changed for the worse and the Avs did for the better

He's certainly picking it up yes, but as of right now that 1st round pick should Ottawa be the team we see now last year is going to look like the same kind that net Anaheim Ritchie and Silfverberg for Ryan

Regardless, I don't know enough about Aberg to overly criticize the move but if it's Chia just giving guys away again there's a history of failure to fall back on

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's not always about the player.  It was about the time of the Duchene trade that Ottawa's fortunes changed for the worse and the Avs did for the better

He's certainly picking it up yes, but as of right now that 1st round pick should Ottawa be the team we see now last year is going to look like the same kind that net Anaheim Ritchie and Silfverberg for Ryan

Regardless, I don't know enough about Aberg to overly criticize the move but if it's Chia just giving guys away again there's a history of failure to fall back on

Ottawa was already struggling.  There's a few quotes by Boucher who say it's not the trade but the team as a whole that wasn't playing well even before he came on board.

In Colorado it was Duchene - he was professional but players were trying to build something together and knew he didn't want to be a part of it.  They admitted as such that it was a relief that they could finally move on as a group.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I didn't actually as I include Burrows in the all encompassing went for it last year statement

Yes it's bad, no question.  Burrows has been waived.

I have no choice but to wait 2-3 years on Dorion while Bergevin and Chia pet duke it out for the Milbury  award

all good man

you have my ongoing respect for moderate and well thought out positions

especially in the cess pool thread of trump

i rarely comment in that thread but admire your work there

cheers

Would be funny if (as someone said) Nashville got Letestu just to keep him from Winnipeg.  Troll job.

Aberg did have a coming out party of sorts last year's playoffs but I guess they have enough foot soldiers with Watson etc. to make him redundant and he really wasn't doing well.  Wonder if he'd get more of an opportunity with the Oil though and his doggedness, speed and some talent could make him a good fit on that team.  At worst a 30 point guy in his prime probably?  (That is if they don't ruin him before).

Archived