The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Coyotes | 25.02.2018 - 6:30 PM PST - SNP | Dahlin Bowl I - The Lamest Show on Turf

Brad Marchand

2 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Having neither of your goalies ranked in the top 55 of the league, certainly is a factor in the team's results. 

Looks like neither of our guys were able to grab the reins as hoped. 

Think thats the understatement of the year :P

21 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Last year was a joke, the top three lost and the middle gained better odds. The NHL likes not having a defined system, manipulation of odds, not results directly.

The scale was set before the draw.  There are 1000 combinations that are allocated.  Every team gets a certain number of combinations dependent on where they finish.  At the draw they can then verify the combinations to the numbers that are pulled.  Each team has a representative in the room when the draw happens.  For the Canucks it was Francesco Aquilini.

The year before Vegas the 1st team received 200 combinations of the 1000 possible (- there are 1001 combinations but 11 12 13 14 is not allocated and triggers a re-draw).  The last team received 10.  Last year they used the old scale with the Vegas adjustment - it's a simple rule of 3 to stay at 1000 combinations.  This year - they need to re-define the scale because otherwise 3rd and 4th have the same number of combinations and they can't use the old scale because there is one more team.

40 minutes ago, mll said:

The scale was set before the draw.  There are 1000 combinations that are allocated.  Every team gets a certain number of combinations dependent on where they finish.  At the draw they can then verify the combinations to the numbers that are pulled.  Each team has a representative in the room when the draw happens.  For the Canucks it was Francesco Aquilini.

The year before Vegas the 1st team received 200 combinations of the 1000 possible (- there are 1001 combinations but 11 12 13 14 is not allocated and triggers a re-draw).  The last team received 10.  Last year they used the old scale with the Vegas adjustment - it's a simple rule of 3 to stay at 1000 combinations.  This year - they need to re-define the scale because otherwise 3rd and 4th have the same number of combinations and they can't use the old scale because there is one more team.

It was the percentage of chance that was manipulated.

3 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

And dipietro as well. Marky had struggled since he came to the NHL.  I just don't see him suddenly finding that next level at 28. 

Demko has so far shown he has that ability to rise to the occasion and level of talent around him.  I am very hopeful he makes the jump to the nhl sooner rather than later.  Not all goalies need 7+ years to incubate.

Our goalies took a HUGE step back after the first quarter of the season.  I put that on Cloutier.  The good start both goalies had was residual coaching, or work put in over the summer.  What we see now is the fact that Cloutier is an awful goalie coach, and needs to be FIRED.  The only reason Demko is killing it in Utica is because Cloutier doesn't have much time to work with him down there.  If Cloutier is retained, and Demko makes the team next season, I fully expect him to be as bad as Marky and Nilsson

Just now, johngould21 said:

The guy has been in the NHL for so many years. I had no idea that he was as smart a player as he's shown. Stats aside, on a good team, used properly, he could get a good cup run.

I think so too. The fact he was able to do this without consistent linemates on a bottom tier team speaks volumes. These stats will help JB in the trade negotiations for sure. 

7 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Our goalies took a HUGE step back after the first quarter of the season.  I put that on Cloutier.  The good start both goalies had was residual coaching, or work put in over the summer.  What we see now is the fact that Cloutier is an awful goalie coach, and needs to be FIRED.  The only reason Demko is killing it in Utica is because Cloutier doesn't have much time to work with him down there.  If Cloutier is retained, and Demko makes the team next season, I fully expect him to be as bad as Marky and Nilsson

You may be right, I wouldn't know. I certainly hope that if you are right, management sees it and moves  on from Cloutier before Demko gets exposed.

6 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Dan was hired in 16 and coached Miller last year.  Miller absolutely carried this team last season and should have been the team MVP.    So my point being which is backed up statistically is that coaches don't make that much of a difference either way.  Our goalies are not little boys learning the game.   At the start of the year goalie pundits were saying we had 2 B1 options in net, and now with the season going down the stretch they were correct.  Neither goalie is a legit starter.  Every time I watch florida i always say boy wish we still had lu - the fourth winningest goalie of all time.

Archived