The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sabres trade Evander Kane to Sharks for Dan O'Reagan, 2019 conditional 1st-round pick, 2020 4th-round pick

On 4/23/2018 at 10:41 PM, HomeBrew said:

I would still be interested in signing him if the right terms could be had. He seems to be trending in the right direction in terms of his maturity and focus. 

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04/11/does-this-shark-deserve-his-bad-boy-rep-let-evander-kane-tell-the-story/

Kane wants the next chunk of his career to be defined by his dominance on the ice — and a solid reputation away from it.

“I still have a good 11 seasons left. That’s definitely more than enough time to change some people’s minds and leave some different impressions,” he said. “A few years ago, I was a little more hard-headed. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that your reputation is important. Everyone wants to be viewed in the light that they see themselves in.”

If that is both sincere and sustainable, I would be far more interested as any GM in pursuing this guy.   He is as talented as any power forward in the NHL right now.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sabre's should never have traded for Kane in the first place.  Who gives up a to four right shot Dman (Meyers) for a troubled winger?  

Gave you a plus one because, that trade was completely and totally stupid.

Now, based on how Kane performed last year and so far in the playoffs, I'd be willing to sign him. Sometimes kids get so much money handed to them when they sign, can go to their heads. That doesn't mean that they can't grow out of it. He may have faced enough adversity that he's learned how to reign himself in.

Green is a strong headed coach, I think he could handle and mold Kane into a really good player. There's no denying that he has talent, speed and strength.

We have the cap space, personally, I'd bring him in and trust management and coaching to focus him and bring his best game out.

3 hours ago, mll said:

Kane was quoted saying he would have liked to re-sign in Buffalo but a new deal was never on the table - they never contacted his representatives even if it was only to find out his price tag.  A lot of noise that ownership was really upset about his arrest and that might have played a role.  Maybe also cap considerations with Eichel's new deal kicking in.

I think management in Buffalo wanted to move on from what was a really bad trade. Considering that he was injured when the trade happened, plus that he was really struggling with maturity, no one in their right mind should have given up what Buffalo gave up for Kane. Don't think the current management wanted to continue to be defined by it.

Bad trades happen all the time in hockey. I mean, how bad do you think Leaf's fans feel watching Rask make those saves, knowing how easily Toronto gave him away?

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Now, based on how Kane performed last year and so far in the playoffs, I'd be willing to sign him. Sometimes kids get so much money handed to them when they sign, can go to their heads. That doesn't mean that they can't grow out of it. He may have faced enough adversity that he's learned how to reign himself in.

Green is a strong headed coach, I think he could handle and mold Kane into a really good player. There's no denying that he has talent, speed and strength.

We have the cap space, personally, I'd bring him in and trust management and coaching to focus him and bring his best game out.

I heard Evander's Junior coach comments about how to coach him.  He said exactly what you're saying.  Green would be good for Evander, and Evander would be good for a guys like Pettersson and Boeser.  We need at least one very tough young foward, who can play top six minutes.  Evander could fulfill that role.

On 4/23/2018 at 10:41 PM, HomeBrew said:

I would still be interested in signing him if the right terms could be had. He seems to be trending in the right direction in terms of his maturity and focus. 

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04/11/does-this-shark-deserve-his-bad-boy-rep-let-evander-kane-tell-the-story/

Kane wants the next chunk of his career to be defined by his dominance on the ice — and a solid reputation away from it.

“I still have a good 11 seasons left. That’s definitely more than enough time to change some people’s minds and leave some different impressions,” he said. “A few years ago, I was a little more hard-headed. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that your reputation is important. Everyone wants to be viewed in the light that they see themselves in.”

Very good article on Kane...

I grew up in Winnipeg back in the 1980s and got to know Sheldon Kennedy when we were teenagers.  He was messed up for obvious, and well-documented reasons.  Way back when, I would never have imagined that he would turn out to be the man that he has become today.  When I see him on TV and off screen (which is as often as a lunar eclipse), I'm awed and inspired by him.  I bring Kennedy into the discussion because he's an example of someone who had a troubled past and grew to become a man that we admire today.  Something that a relatively young Evander Kane can still achieve.

Though Kane's specific situation is different than Kennedy's, there's no doubt that he suffered deep pain and most likely, shame (being the target of racist attacks has to hurt).  I'm glad that Evander Kane is giving himself the opportunity to start showing his maturity and personal growth.  And I'm glad that the public is starting to soften their stance on Kane and are starting to give him a chance to demonstrate that he's maturing into a focused and good young man.

If the Canucks are able to sign him as a UFA this summer, I'll be elated.  A player of his size, speed, skill and proven ability to produce and grind it out is an element lacking on the Canucks.  I'd do 6 years at $7MM to $8MM AAV for Kane.  If this were possible, I would fast-track Pettersen into center role and put him between Kane and Virtanen--two big wingers, both with the ability to skate, grind, and bang, will create a lot of open ice for a young, physically-growing Pettersen to work his magic.  Gretzky played centre as a 160 pounder back in the early 1980s.  Why can't Pettersen do the same?

Baertschi -- Horvat -- Boeser

KANE -- PETTERSEN -- VIRTANEN

Eriksson -- Sutter -- Gagne

Gaunce -- Gaudette -- Granlund

Extras: Leipsic (LW) -- Goldobin (LW/RW) -- Motte (LW/RW) -- Dahlen (LW)

Of the starting 12, you get five with decent size (Horvat, Kane, Virtanen, Sutter (though he's a lot skinny), Gaunce).  As a group of 12, this is a forward group that I think can run and gun.

On 3/26/2018 at 5:53 PM, kloubek said:

You can quote this later:
Wherever Kane signs for next season, by the end of the season he will be back to a scoring pace of about .5 to .6 ppg.  

This guy is all about the ka ching ka ching and b bling b bling.  While he might be revitalized for the first half of a season with a new signing, I don't see him maintaining his current pace.  I feel he is doing so well right now thanks to a contract year.

I think we've learned that this is the case for almost every free agents. They revert back to pre-UFA year production levels. For Kane that's 20-30 goals and 20-35 assists.

Sharks will sign him anyways. Thornton will be gone and they can use part of that money to sign Kane.

21 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

20 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think management in Buffalo wanted to move on from what was a really bad trade. Considering that he was injured when the trade happened, plus that he was really struggling with maturity, no one in their right mind should have given up what Buffalo gave up for Kane. Don't think the current management wanted to continue to be defined by it.

Bad trades happen all the time in hockey. I mean, how bad do you think Leaf's fans feel watching Rask make those saves, knowing how easily Toronto gave him away?

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sabre's should never have traded for Kane in the first place.  Who gives up a to four right shot Dman (Meyers) for a troubled winger?  

Kane was the previous GM's (Tim Murray) trade.  The new GM (Jason Botterill) is cleaning house of the past GM's mistakes.  Murray took so many gambles that didn't pay off.  Had Murray made better choices, he could have surrounded Kane with better players and the trade would have worked out fine.

Lehner has almost for sure played his last game as a Sabre as well.  Murray gave up a 1st round pick for him.

As for Tyler Myers, he was trending down.  Murray should have gotten a better d-man than Bogosian in return though for all the pieces that he put into the trade.

23 hours ago, Boudrias said:

How could there possibly be a CAP problem in Buffalo? More likely they have trouble making the 'floor' rather than the 'ceiling'. IMHO one of the worst managed teams in the NHL. That said I can totally see why they wanted to move Kane. More trouble than he is worth on a rebuilding team. 

Ownership agreed.  That's why they fired the GM last year and brought on Jason Botterill.  Tim Murray made too many mistakes.

Kane in these playoffs is looking awesome,  kind of what i had hoped Kesler would have become..

realizing Kane might be finding a comfort level with peer teamates in SanJose ,.  But i do hope we get a shot at him.

On 4/25/2018 at 10:21 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

If that is both sincere and sustainable, I would be far more interested as any GM in pursuing this guy.   He is as talented as any power forward in the NHL right now.

On 4/25/2018 at 10:26 AM, VegasCanuck said:

Perhaps playing in Vancouver, and being given a chance to earn some responsibility on the team could result in some good things. What the heck, give him an "A" and see what he does with it.

regards,  G.

17 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Kane in these playoffs is looking awesome,  kind of what i had hoped Kesler would have become..

realizing Kane might be finding a comfort level with peer teamates in SanJose ,.  But i do hope we get a shot at him.

A selke winning center that scored 41 goals in a season? That is what kesler was when he was Kane's age.

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

A selke winning center that scored 41 goals in a season? That is what kesler was when he was Kane's age.

Correct.  Let's not forget what he single-handedly did to Nashville... which was dominate that series.  The Preds had no answer to 'the beast' that year.

3 hours ago, coryberg said:

He had 1 year of dominance. Teams figured him out and put more focus on him and he fell off hard.

Kesler was absolutely amazing that year.  Till he tore up his leg, still gutted through.  Great player, to bad his exit was so ugly.

As a player Kane is everything we want Jake to be.  Could be good add and may help Jake continue to develop.  Home town kid too.  Would be a lot of longterm money money spent on the wing with Loui, Kane and Boeser after next year.  Pettersen may end up wing in the long run as well.

8 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Kesler was absolutely amazing that year.  Till he tore up his leg, still gutted through.  Great player, to bad his exit was so ugly.

As a player Kane is everything we want Jake to be.  Could be good add and may help Jake continue to develop.  Home town kid too.  Would be a lot of longterm money money spent on the wing with Loui, Kane and Boeser after next year.  Pettersen may end up wing in the long run as well.

Cap dump Eriksson with a '19 pick. There's the Kane money.

I am not sold that the Sharks are a very long term option to win, Big Joe is just old, Burns is what 33.  I see them really a lot like we were coming off our finals visit, they have had their shot and missed and are on downward trend.  From a lifestyle factor, not sure what Vancouver is offering over the Bay area.  Certainly the fact that Canada is a much nicer place to live than the US is somewhat mitigated by the fact that he is rich.  Money, Vancouver could probably offer the most but really shouldn't, it will just cripple the cap that will be spending a lot at the least important position for winning, the wing.

I think he is something we could use.  It would help us be more competitive and give a big nasty winger to ride shotgun with EP.  I don't think he would be the kind of mistake that Lucic and Loui were though if things go the wrong way signing him could blow up big time.

He is big, young, fast and nasty at times and scores.  He is everything you want in a player on the ice, everything you hoped to see from Jake and from Guddy and haven't got yet.  

Archived