The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Leipsic | #9 | LW/C

PuckYa

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's Hirsch's view on Liepsic.  I don't know if I agree, but (I guess) Hirsch would know what a soft player looks like?

I'm not sure I thought he looked "soft".  He certainly wasn't a bulldog out there but I think his speed offsets the requirement to take a lot of hits.

Granted, I didn't catch all the games since we acquired him so maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough.  I'd like to think Hirsch knows more than little 'ol me...

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Heard Cory Hirsch talking on the radio about Leipsic.  He said Leipsic does nothing, when the team plays on the road.  He basically implied Leipsic disappears in tough arenas, and he would trade the guy if possible.  It's hard to tell from TV how a guy plays away from the puck, but (according to Hirsch) Leipsic fades away when the game gets rough.

Interesting.   That is same complaint they had in Calgary with Baer and he (Baer) changed that around to the point he gets most of his goals in the tough areas and is a very strong player on the road.   Maybe BL is a reclamation project from Portland just like Baer was or perhaps the kid won't get it.   If he truly is as Hirsch says (and CH is a smart dude), and if he doesn't change I doubt he will be a Canuck when the team breaks in October.   Clearly some work to do for young Mr. Leipsic.

I read an article about the Vegas Golden Knights style of game was not to physically manhandle teams, but to use their speed, and sticks to separate the man from the puck.  I remember vividly the writer commenting how good Vegas was at creating turnovers because they used their skating speed and active sticks.  

Brendan Leipsic was likely using that system that was implemented by Gerard Gallant, to forego using a physical body which does take up a lot of physical energy to plaster players against the glass, and choose a more cerebral attack by looking for opportunities to use the stick to steal the puck, and use body positioning through speed to gain an advantage, and a lot of times its conserving energy to identify when to spring out with an aggressive/high energy attack.

This goal is a prime example of what was typically implemented in Vegas hockey.  Even William Karlsson said, this style really allowed him to be more successful because instead of paying attention of laying the body, rather it was about anticipation, speed, and being smart with his stick. 

I will say this though, through that final home stand of games that I went to, I did notice Leipsic tends to turn the motor on selectively, he doesn't skate as hard as he should at all times in the defensive zone.  Often does coast, almost Goldobin like coasting before Goldy figured it out.  Late in games, TG elected to sit Leipsic when the games were close

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I will say this though, through that final home stand of games that I went to, I did notice Leipsic tends to turn the motor on selectively, he doesn't skate as hard as he should at all times in the defensive zone.  Often does coast, almost Goldobin like coasting before Goldy figured it out.  Late in games, TG elected to sit Leipsic when the games were close

He will discover it pretty quickly. Green demands hard work out of his players, and with what will probably continue to be a glut of forwards I don't think management has any interest in retaining players who don't play hard.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Canuck_Drums03 said:

Am I the only one that thinks Leipsic on the third line with Gaudette and Virtanen is a great idea?

Although it 'looks' pretty good, I'm not certain that Gaudette can be a 3C just yet.  Green may prefer to have a vet ride shotgun on the wing; someone like Loui or Granny.

It will be interesting to see how things unfold next season.

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Although it 'looks' pretty good, I'm not certain that Gaudette can be a 3C just yet.  Green may prefer to have a vet ride shotgun on the wing; someone like Loui or Granny.

It will be interesting to see how things unfold next season.

Fourth line works too ::D

Leipsic is a guy who knows this is his shot so I think he will play hard and be in top shape when he comes into camp

but now that we seem to have a couple to many forwards going forward maybe a trade for a good center will be on the table for us, or to upgrade our D

One of those has to be done then the other after this year so next year we will be in or close to a playoff spot and can move forward getting better

3 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Leipsic is a guy who knows this is his shot so I think he will play hard and be in top shape when he comes into camp

but now that we seem to have a couple to many forwards going forward maybe a trade for a good center will be on the table for us, or to upgrade our D

One of those has to be done then the other after this year so next year we will be in or close to a playoff spot and can move forward getting better

Which one of our forwards will be trade for a trade for defensive or center help? 

Baertschi? Goldobin (don't think he's going to fetch us much at this moment in time, tbh)? Granlund (not after the year he had)? 

Canucks with their 7th overall have to enter into the draft with BPA, irrespective if that's a forward or a dman. And then draft for need after that. First round picks need to always be BPA, cause you can always swing a trade later on. But if you don't get the BPA where you're picking, then you lose both ways. 

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Which one of our forwards will be trade for a trade for defensive or center help? 

Some combination of Baer, Granlund, Goldobin, Gagner or Gaunce. IMO. At least two of those guys should be converted to other assets (perhaps more if they're converted to another forward).

I'd personally love to see if we could acquire Jenner from CBJ as he's due a raise and they're a cash poor team.

On 5/21/2018 at 9:36 PM, N4ZZY said:

Baertschi? Goldobin (don't think he's going to fetch us much at this moment in time, tbh)? Granlund (not after the year he had)? 

Canucks with their 7th overall have to enter into the draft with BPA, irrespective if that's a forward or a dman. And then draft for need after that. First round picks need to always be BPA, cause you can always swing a trade later on. But if you don't get the BPA where you're picking, then you lose both ways. 

could be multiplayer trade like baer+hutton and a pick like 4th to get a decent shooting D man or something like that

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2018 at 10:06 PM, cripplereh said:

could be multiplayer trade like baer+hutton and a pick like 4th to get a decent shooting D man or something like that

what team do you see needs those players?

On 5/25/2018 at 11:14 PM, canucklehead44 said:

I thought Leipsic with Horvat and Virtanen was an awesome line. Young, fast, physical, and skilled. 

I agree, but I'd also like to see Horvat with Boeser and still another line with Horvat with Pettersson...if only we had 3-4 Horvats

3 hours ago, nzan said:

I agree, but I'd also like to see Horvat with Boeser and still another line with Horvat with Pettersson...if only we had 3-4 Horvats

Ain't that the truth :lol:

I see a few possibilities next year. We could occasionally see a line loaded up with Pettersson, Horvat and Boeser but I think Green tries to spread the offense around a bit more (and shelter EP40 more from the top match ups the Horvat line will face). 

I think Baer, ____, Pettersson would make a nice basis for a sheltered, secondary offensive line, '____' TBD.

I also wouldn't hate the aforementioned Leip, Horvat, Virtanen line reunitin, with Pettersson, Boeser (and TBD) on a sheltered line (cushy Sedin ozone starts etc) at some point as well.

Lot's of options for Green. I'm interested to see what Benning does to address the C depth this summer as well.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Yes. 

You can check the status of all the players here: https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers-calculator

We've got a lot of interesting waiver exempt players this year, I don't remember ever having this much quality to bring up and down tbh. 

Thanks for the link. That's a cool site, and even I can understand it!!!  

I can see a guy like Leipsic getting sent to Utica.  He's an okay player, but if he's not producing points, he doesn't contribute. If he's claimed it's no big deal.