The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Leipsic | #9 | LW/C

PuckYa

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Thanks for the link. That's a cool site, and even I can understand it!!!  

I can see a guy like Leipsic getting sent to Utica.  He's an okay player, but if he's not producing points, he doesn't contribute. If he's claimed it's no big deal. 

I suspect that we'll lose at least one guy to waivers, and thats a good thing! means the tide is rising.

I'm higher on Leipsic than Hirsh is, he seems tenacious in the o-zone and I'm sure under Green can improve, even Goldy has. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I suspect that we'll lose at least one guy to waivers, and thats a good thing! means the tide is rising.

I'm higher on Leipsic than Hirsh is, he seems tenacious in the o-zone and I'm sure under Green can improve, even Goldy has. 

Maybe Goldy and Leipsic are in competition for a spot, and the loser goes on waivers?  Like you say, it's good to have this type of competition in our young guys.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Goldy and Leipsic are in competition for a spot, and the loser goes on waivers?  Like you say, it's good to have this type of competition in our young guys.  

oh they definitely are. I think Goldy's got the inside track, his passing at the end of last year was really getting pretty, and this being his final RFA year I expect a lot out of him. 

9 hours ago, nzan said:

I agree, but I'd also like to see Horvat with Boeser and still another line with Horvat with Pettersson...if only we had 3-4 Horvats

Pettersson is going to play LW so it makes sense to put him on the top line with Horvat and Boeser unless we find a suitable 2nd line centre. It would be great to have EP and Boeser on a line and then Horvat with Leipsic & Viratnen to help them develop into 2nd line players. I just don't think we can find a good enough centre. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/4/2018 at 10:03 AM, Alflives said:

Does Liepsic require clearing waivers to be sent to Utica?

Good question.. I do think he'll be cut depending on timing, might clear. I'm not a Leipsic guy, but maybe there's a place for him. Not sold on his personality.

EDIT : Misread your post, I thought you asked if he'd clear outright.

Edited by Western Red

17 hours ago, Western Red said:

Good question.. I'd wager he'll be cut on the 2nd wave and therefore might clear. I'm not a Leipsic guy tho.

EDIT : Misread your post, I thought you asked if he'd clear outright.

I don't think Leipsic clears, if he's on waivers. Some team is going to take a risk taking him. 

Edited by N4ZZY
  • Cheers 1

I don't think we waive him at all. Guy has skills, speed, plays with a bit of an edge and can play up and down the lines. He can start out in our thin top 9 as we wait for players to develop and slide down as they come on line. 

Probably needs to work on his consistency (and cutting out the occasional brain farts ideally) but I don't see him going anywhere next year.

I can imagine a third line with Brandon Sutter centering Virtanen and Leipsic.

Leipsic-Sutter-Virtanen

Has speed, skill, and Sutter brings the defensive conscience.   I feel Leipsic and Virtanen's speed could allow that Line to spend less time in their own zone and pushing the play of other top lines in their own zone. Leipsic becomes the distributor and Virtanen and Sutter have decent shots. 

If the Canucks want to role Sutter out as a defensive shutdown centre, you need some players who can push the pace on the other end of the ice.   I'm not a fan of Sutter plaing 15+ mins Even strength if he is playing with guys who can't push offense the other way, no offense to Motte and Archibald. 

9 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I can imagine a third line with Brandon Sutter centering Virtanen and Leipsic.

Leipsic-Sutter-Virtanen

Has speed, skill, and Sutter brings the defensive conscience.   I feel Leipsic and Virtanen's speed could allow that Line to spend less time in their own zone and pushing the play of other top lines in their own zone. Leipsic becomes the distributor and Virtanen and Sutter have decent shots. 

If the Canucks want to role Sutter out as a defensive shutdown centre, you need some players who can push the pace on the other end of the ice.   I'm not a fan of Sutter plaing 15+ mins Even strength if he is playing with guys who can't push offense the other way, no offense to Motte and Archibald. 

I'm hoping Benning adds Roussel to play on Sutter's LW. RW could be any of Granlund, Eriksson, Virtanen etc

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Leipsic was one of my favourite players when he was on his game, I really enjoyed him with Brock and bo would be very happy to start the year off like that unless Elias shows he’s ready to be a top line player as a rookie. I believe he earned a spot for this years roster just by his play down the final games of the year. Really really hating the Eriksson signing right now

Boeser Horvat Leipsic

Eriksson Grandlund Pettersson 

Virtanen Sutter baertschi 

Roussel Beagle Schaller/goldobin/gagner 

now I guaranteed we will not be seeing dahlen lind or any other prospects on the bubble unless serious injury’s happen or a big preseason showing a player belongs 

time to trade a prospect with eriksson to lose that contract? I dunno what management has planned but I’m very curious what there doin 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Leipsic was one of my favourite players when he was on his game, I really enjoyed him with Brock and bo would be very happy to start the year off like that unless Elias shows he’s ready to be a top line player as a rookie. I believe he earned a spot for this years roster just by his play down the final games of the year. Really really hating the Eriksson signing right now

Boeser Horvat Leipsic

Eriksson Grandlund Pettersson 

Virtanen Sutter baertschi 

Roussel Beagle Schaller/goldobin/gagner 

now I guaranteed we will not be seeing dahlen lind or any other prospects on the bubble unless serious injury’s happen or a big preseason showing a player belongs 

time to trade a prospect with eriksson to lose that contract? I dunno what management has planned but I’m very curious what there doin 

I agree Leipsic played well in those few games he played with us. However, I'm curious to see how he'll perform this season. I see Pettersson playing Brock and Bo to start the season, he seems destined to play with Boeser. I expect Leipsic to return on Virtanens line.

Petttersson - Horvat - Boeser

Baer - Sutter - Granlund

Leipsic - Gaudette - Virtanen

Eriksson - Beagle - Roussel

Edited by J-23

7 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I agree Leipsic played well in those few games he played with us. However, I'm curious to see how he'll perform this season. I see Pettersson playing Brock and Bo to start the season, he seems destined to play with Boeser. I expect Leipsic to return on Virtanens line.

Petttersson - Horvat - Boeser

Baer - Sutter - Granlund

Leipsic - Gaudette - Virtanen

Eriksson - Beagle - Roussel

I like the lines for the most part,  but Pettersson is not a LW and has not played that position at 5 on 5. I would have Baertschi back at LW on the top line. Move EP to JV's spot on the 3rd line and move JV to Sutt's line with Granny playing LW.

Just now, Kootenay Gold said:

I like the lines for the most part,  but Pettersson is not a LW and has not played that position at 5 on 5. I would have Baertschi back at LW on the top line. Move EP to JV's spot on the 3rd line and move JV to Sutt's line with Granny playing LW.

Didn't he play LW early in the season?

8 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Not that I am aware of but could be mistaken

After reading an article, Elias can play the LW, although he will have to adjust to it. He's played RW for majority of last season.  

I think he would atttemot to play LW, especially if he's going to play with Boeser and Horvat.

BL looked good with Boeser towards the end of the year before Boeser got hurt.  I think imo he's a better option than Baertschi offensively and could help generate more even lines:

Leipsic Horvat Boeser

Baerstchi Granlund Pettersson

Roussel Sutter Virtanen

Goldobin Beagle Gaudette

Not set in stone but I like the how the wingers line up, the centers can be replaced.  And I being very generous thinking Granlund will turn it around, maybe with some offensive help that might work. 

• Cheers 1

I want to keep Leipsic and think he can actually turn into a decent player.  His 9 points in 14 games for us was pretty impressive.

We just have a glut of forwards.  I see in everyone's plans they don't include Gagne, which is fine - although he is a roster player and requires waivers himself.

I see a trade or two being a absolutely necessary to fit everyone in the lineup.

Oh, and Leipsic DOES get picked up if placed on waivers.

Edited by kloubek
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I want to keep Leipsic and think he can actually turn into a decent player.  His 9 points in 14 games for us was pretty impressive.

We just have a glut of forwards.  I see in everyone's plans they don't include Gagne, which is fine - although he is a roster player and requires waivers himself.

I see a trade or two being a absolutely necessary to fit everyone in the lineup.

Oh, and Leipsic DOES get picked up if placed on waivers.

Gagner could easily see himself as 13th F (or traded) FWIW but otherwise, I tend to agree that Leipsic had more chemistry with Horvat & Boeser than Baer does.

That could also theoretically allow us to partner Pettersson and Baer on a sheltered offensive line.

I see:

'Offensive' lines:

____, Horvat, Boeser

Baer, Pettersson (C or RW), ____ (sheltered 'Sedin' usage)

'Defensive' lines:

Roussel, Sutter, ____

Schaller, Beagle, ____

13th:

____

5 spots available for Eriksson, Granlund, Virtanen, Goldobin, Gagner, Gaudette, Leipsic, Gaunce, Dahlen, Archibald etc. Bolded guys all but certainly somewhere in 3 of those 5 (barring any trades) spots leaving two additional spots open for the taking. Italicized don't require waivers, underlined would likely clear.

May the best men win.

To me that spells Gagner as 13th and Goldobin vs Leipsic battle royal.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Gagner could easily see himself as 13th F (or traded) FWIW but otherwise, I tend to agree that Leipsic had more chemistry with Horvat & Boeser than Baer does.

That could also theoretically allow us to partner Pettersson and Baer on a sheltered offensive line.

I see:

'Offensive' lines:

____, Horvat, Boeser

Baer, Pettersson (C or RW), ____ (sheltered 'Sedin' usage)

'Defensive' lines:

Roussel, Sutter, ____

Schaller, Beagle, ____

13th:

____

5 spots available for Eriksson, Granlund, Virtanen, Goldobin, Gagner, Gaudette, Leipsic, Gaunce, Dahlen, Archibald etc. Bolded guys all but certainly somewhere in 3 of those 5 (barring any trades) spots leaving two additional spots open for the taking. Italicized don't require waivers, underlined would likely clear.

May the best men win.

To me that spells Gagner as 13th and Goldobin vs Leipsic battle royal.

I think you are slightly off... With the signing of Beagle and Roussel I think that frees up Sutter a bit, offensively.

Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Leipsic Sutter Pettersson
Roussel Beagle Virtanen
Schaller Gagner Eriksson
Goldobin Granlund

I think the lines will have to play out something like that 

Waived: Gaunce Archibald Dahlen Gaudette