The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Leipsic | #9 | LW/C

PuckYa

Can anyone who actually knows about this kid answer me this question: Is Leipsic fast? I'm sorry if this has been discussed already, I don't really feel like reading through 9 pages. I had definitely heard of him in the last few years as a prospect when he was with the Leafs, but I am no expert when it comes to every prospect in the game. Immediately after we traded for him the guy giving the scouting report on 650 deemed him to be a slow and small yet crafty, competitve, and fun to watch player---unlike anyone else in the league. Then in his presser, JB was calling him fast. I've read other posters in other threads call him fast too. So what is it? It is unusual to hear one scouting report call him slow and then others on the same day call him fast... can't say I have ever heard such a stark contrast in such a short period of time before.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:54 AM, aGENT said:

've been pretty vocal that I don't see Baer here long term (and that's not a slight on him as a player, more of a function of circumstance). I'd always assumed that one of Goldobin, Dahlen etc would eventually make him redundant and hence move-able. But it may turn out a guy we got for freaking Holm, may be the straw that broke that camel's back.

Easy

Goldobin plays mostly RW, Baer has been our top minute man at LW so far this year. And Danny will retire sometime soon. There is still room. 

Leipsec being here for two games does not signal the end of Sven Baertschi? Dahlen and Gadjobich are LW but may take 1 to 3 years to arrive. Tyler Motte is not ready to supplant him in the line up. Nor does waiver pick up Reid Boucher look ready & Motte is possibly a stretch in the line up? There is not just room, there is a need for Sven right now.

He may not be highly productive as a top line winger. But is a highly serviceable if not top end 3rd line NHLér, good 2knd liner. And can play up the line up without looking out of place.

I'm all for an upgrade? But lets at least have ONE young player truly pass him on the depth chart before we wisk him away...

Although the first two games were fun! I'd like to see Leipsec play with the Twins for a while.  His stick his nose in it, get after it play style reminds me of Burrows.  With the legs & vigour of youth!

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Easy

Goldobin plays mostly RW, Baer has been our top minute man at LW so far this year. And Danny will retire sometime soon. There is still room. 

Leipsec being here for two games does not signal the end of Sven Baertschi? Dahlen and Gadjobich are LW but may take 1 to 3 years to arrive. Tyler Motte is not ready to supplant him in the line up. Nor does waiver pick up Reid Boucher look ready & Motte is possibly a stretch in the line up? There is not just room, there is a need for Sven right now.

He may not be highly productive as a top line winger. But is a highly serviceable if not top end 3rd line NHLér, good 2knd liner. And can play up the line up without looking out of place.

I'm all for an upgrade? But lets at least have ONE young player truly pass him on the depth chart before we wisk him away...

Although the first two games were fun! I'd like to see Leipsec play with the Twins for a while.  His stick his nose in it, get after it play style reminds me of Burrows.  With the legs & vigour of youth!

Feel free to write down how many fowards are presently on next year's roster even without the Sedins, Vanek, no UFA (which management has already declared they're planning to sign) and no Pettersson, Dahlen, this year's pick etc. 

Not a lot of room at that Inn. 

And again, I'm not saying we move him NOW. But it's highly probable whether this summer or next season, he gets moved imo. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Feel free to write down how many fowards are presently on next year's roster even without the Sedins, Vanek, no UFA (which management has already declared they're planning to sign) and no Pettersson, Dahlen, this year's pick etc. 

And again, I'm not saying we move him NOW. But it's highly probable whether this summer or next season, he gets moved imo. 

Yes, it will likely be Sven is pushed out be better, younger players.  However, does Sven have any real trade value?  Could he get us our missing fourth rounder?

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, it will likely be Sven is pushed out be better, younger players.  However, does Sven have any real trade value?  Could he get us our missing fourth rounder?

Baer has shown that he is a legit 40 - 50 point top 6 winger. Barring injury that is. Like Tanev I do not like Baer's injury history. It is one of the reasons he will likely be moved at some point. For the development time and his ppg he has to bring back at least a 2nd Rd'er plus a prospect or a deal is not worth doing. There is no immediate pressure to move BAer. 

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I have left wing depth of Baer, Danny, Leipsec / Granlund & Gaunce in that order on the left side right now. Then Dahlen, Boucher and Motte to try and battle their way in.

If Danny is still around? And If Dahlen & Leipsec move up the line up? Or perhaps if we sign a Evander Kane?  And then IF several of these things all happen...

It might be time to move SB.

Until then patience. It has not happened yet!

Yes, it will likely be Sven is pushed out be better, younger players

I'm not ready to break up the Killer B's until someone outperforms Baertschi. He's looked great with Bo & Boeser.   

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I have left wing depth of Baer, Danny, Leipsec / Granlund & Gaunce in that order on the left side right now. Then Dahlen, Boucher and Motte to try and battle their way in.

If Danny is still around? And If Dahlen & Leipsec move up the line up? Or perhaps if we sign a Evander Kane?  And then IF several of these things all happen...

I'm not ready to break up the Killer B's until someone outperforms Baertschi. He's looked great with Bo & Boeser.   

Isn’t Leipsic doing okay with Bo and Brock too?  I read here (can’t remember which poster) that Leipsic could be like Burows, because he has skill and bite.  

Isn’t Leipsic doing okay with Bo and Brock too?  I read here (can’t remember which poster) that Leipsic could be like Burows, because he has skill and bite.  

41 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'd like to see Leipsec play with the Twins for a while.  His stick his nose in it, get after it play style reminds me of Burrows.  With the legs & vigour of youth!

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

In no particular order:

Horvat

Boeser

Sutter

Granlund

Eriksson

Leip

Gagner

Virtanen

Gaunce

Gaudette

Goldobin

That's 11 of 12 starting spots (assuming Archibald, a PTO or a UFA etc likely to be 13th) without Sedins, Baer or Vanek. From there you've got Pettersson, Dahlen etc likely pushing for spots and the possibility of the twins being back never mind a UFA or a top winger this draft.

One roster spot for all those guys (and that's with no twins or a UFA etc). Now that very well could still be Baer next fall... but for how long? IMO the writing is on the wall.

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

That's 11 of 12 starting spots

Currently Baertschi is ahead of all but 3 of them on the depth chart??? Bo, Brock & Sutter IMO.

Remember your stance with (a rookie) Boeser from last year?  He can start in the minors... So can Gaudette, Leipsec.  At least one guy will be injured. Usually two. It happened each of the last 3 years, we started without at least one of our top 12?  

Somebody will be moved if a rookie completely jumps the line up. Maybe Baer, maybe not? Maybe Goldobin flee's to Russia. Maybe two forwards get traded after camp for Julius Honka. Who knows?

First things first > people have to move ahead of him on the depth chart.  

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Currently Baertschi is ahead of all but 3 of them on the depth chart??? Bo, Brock & Sutter IMO.

Remember your stance with (a rookie) Boeser from last year?  He can start in the minors... So can Gaudette, Leipsec.  At least one guy will be injured. Usually two. It happened each of the last 3 years, we started without at least one of our top 12?  

Somebody will be moved if a rookie completely jumps the line up. Maybe Baer, maybe not? Maybe Goldobin flee's to Russia. Maybe two forwards get traded after camp for Julius Honka. Who knows?

First things first > people have to move ahead of him on the depth chart.  

Leip would be claimed.

And where he lands on the depth chart isn't the only factor that's a bit over simplified. Baer does not particularly suit a bottom 6 role for starters. Guys like Eriksson/Gagner may not be 'better' but they more well rounded, versatile and able to play depth roles (and are largely placeholder vets anyway). You also need checkers and PK'ers (despite CDC's insistence to the contrary).

Again, not saying this happens NOW (and not sure why I have to keep repeating it). Of course someone needs to push him out. I'm simply saying that moment appears to be on the horizon. That's my entire point.

Again:

Horvat

Boeser

Sutter

Granlund

Eriksson

Leip

Gagner

Virtanen

Gaunce

Baer

Goldobin

11 of 12...with most penciling Gaudette in the lineup, Pettersson, Dahlen etc pushing for spots, a possible W'er from this draft, management stating they plan to acquire more free agents (Kane or otherwise). Never mind two future HOF's who may or may not be back. Moves will need to be made.

I have trouble seeing Baer not taken over from his 2LW role in the near future and hence not a long term fit on the roster. If he's not a long term fit and he gets over taken in short order...fill in the blank.

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

Leip would be claimed.

And where he lands on the depth chart isn't the only factor that's a bit over simplified. Baer does not particularly suit a bottom 6 role for starters. Guys like Eriksson/Gagner may not be 'better' but they more well rounded, versatile and able to play depth roles (and are largely placeholder vets anyway). You also need checkers and PK'ers (despite CDC's insistence to the contrary).

Again, not saying this happens NOW (and not sure why I have to keep repeating it). Of course someone needs to push him out. I'm simply saying that moment appears to be on the horizon. That's my entire point.

Again:

Horvat

Boeser

Sutter

Granlund

Eriksson

Leip

Gagner

Virtanen

Gaunce

Baer

Goldobin

11 of 12...with most penciling Gaudette in the lineup, Pettersson, Dahlen etc pushing for spots, a possible W'er from this draft, management stating they plan to acquire more free agents (Kane or otherwise). Never mind two future HOF's who may or may not be back. Moves will need to be made.

I have trouble seeing Baer not taken over from his 2LW role in the near future and hence not a long term fit on the roster. If he's not a long term fit and he gets over taken in short order...fill in the blank.

You don't have to keep repeating it. We disagree.

I believe Baer is 4th on that list & you undervalue him.  Not 10th. Obviously I overvalue him? I also believe he is a better two way player than most on that list. Well suited to a 3rd line role. In a perfect world his actual position. Not needing to be traded if he cant play top 6.  

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

You don't have to keep repeating it. We disagree.

I believe Baer is 4th on that list & you undervalue him.  Not 10th. Obviously I overvalue him? I also believe he is a better two way player than most on that list. Well suited to a 3rd line role. In a perfect world his actual position. Not needing to be traded if he cant play top 6.  

That list was:

23 hours ago, aGENT said:

In no particular order:

Is it just me, or does Leipsic look like the second coming of Alex Burrows?  Leipsic has got the sort of skills that Burrows showed while playing with the Sedins and he seems to have some of that edge to his game that Burrows had.  And apparently Leipsic is killer at running his mouth.  Wishful thinking on my part?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Is it just me, or does Leipsic look like the second coming of Alex Burrows?  Leipsic has got the sort of skills that Burrows showed while playing with the Sedins and he seems to have some of that edge to his game that Burrows had.  And apparently Leipsic is killer at running his mouth.  Wishful thinking on my part?

I can see what you're saying. Here's hoping.

He also reminds me a bit of Brayden Point.

4 minutes ago, Tystick said:

I can see what you're saying. Here's hoping.

He also reminds me a bit of Brayden Point.

While watching some of the highlights someone posted on the Sedins magic, the puck always seemed to find Burrows, or to put it another way, Burrows always seemed to be able to either be in position to be on the puck or hound his way to retrieve the puck, a knack that really complemented what the Sedins were doing.  Watching Leipsic over the past few games, it looks like Leipsic's got that similar sticky stick blade where the puck seems to stick itself to him.  And Leipsic has demonstrated that he can make something happen once the puck is on his stick...very much like what Burrows was able to do with aplomb back in 2008 to 2013.

• Cheers 1