The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Leipsic | #9 | LW/C

PuckYa

1 minute ago, The Sedge said:

Not sure why, but I can't help but make a little smile when Boeser lets off his shot.  It's just something else.  Look how delayed Lundquist's reaction is on it.  It's already behind him by the time he sticks his pad out.  

And this is with a nagging injury, I’m sure he’d have a couple more if it wasn’t for that injury . I feel like it robbed him of the chance to hit 40 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Leipsic makes an immediate impact in his first game. Motte was excellent on the PK.

But somehow this team is going nowhere....according to the local media.

We have a bright future, but not with our current goalies.  Does Demko win the starting job next season?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We have a bright future, but not with our current goalies.  Does Demko win the starting job next season?

The goalies are definitely, with all due respect to their efforts, not real number ones.

They are both adequate backups though, and one of the two could possibly be here next year, as I can't see both making it.

I think that management will have to take a long look at where Demko's game is at, regarding the move to the NHL. According to Cull, he doesn't think Demko is ready yet, so some credit has to be given to the man they put in charge of the Comets.

The worst thing that could be done to Demko is rushing him in.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The goalies are definitely, with all due respect to their efforts, not real number ones.

They are both adequate backups though, and one of the two could possibly be here next year, as I can't see both making it.

I think that management will have to take a long look at where Demko's game is at, regarding the move to the NHL. According to Cull, he doesn't think Demko is ready yet, so some credit has to be given to the man they put in charge of the Comets.

He has 98 games in college, 79 games in Utica and counting, and most likely playoffs in the AHL this year. He's a year younger than Matt Murray. Even if he makes training camp next year, I doubt we'd make him a starter. But I don't think it would ruin him to get 20-30 games as a backup. Given his great numbers in the AHL, I don't think there's much more he can learn there. 

I don't think playing in the NHL next year is "rushing" him. 

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He has 98 games in college, 79 games in Utica and counting, and most likely playoffs in the AHL this year. He's a year younger than Matt Murray. Even if he makes training camp next year, I doubt we'd make him a starter. But I don't think it would ruin him to get 20-30 games as a backup. Given his great numbers in the AHL, I don't think there's much more he can learn there. 

I don't think playing in the NHL next year is "rushing" him. 

Fair enough. I don't think he should have the mantle of starting goalie thrust upon him though. As well, Cull's statement bears some weight. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

i dont think it'd be a good idea too rush Demko too be the starting goalie.

4 hours ago, J-23 said:

Exactly the type of player that line was missing. Now they can finally setup in the offensive zone.

He definitely looks better on the boards than Baertschi, and also more aggressive taking the puck to the net.  If that's his usual play (and it's not just a one-game adrenaline bump) I agree that he's a better fit on that line.  As Travis says, he's more of a true playmaker which should really help the other two.  Also frees Sven to play with Gagner and Jake, who've looked pretty good together the past few games.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If I were Cull I would be saying the same thing, I don't want to loose my starting goalie to a call up as the playoff push comes. I think Demko is ready to see NHL games, back-up or starter. I just think Cull wants him to get some playoff games in to see how he does under pressure before he deems him ready

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

If I were Cull I would be saying the same thing, I don't want to loose my starting goalie to a call up as the playoff push comes. I think Demko is ready to see NHL games, back-up or starter. I just think Cull wants him to get some playoff games in to see how he does under pressure before he deems him ready

Good point.

53 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

Demko is 22. Vasilevsky and Murray are 23. Hellebuyck is 24.

Demko should be ready to get into NHL action next season. This year, there's simply no point.

• Upvote 4

Anyone else have a feeling Baertschi's days are numbered? I notice Leipsic is playing the wing on Horvat and Boeser's line, while Baer has been relegated to the 3rd line with Gagner and Virtanen. I know Green is just trying Leipsic on the top line, but it's working well so far. Baertschi was also recently benched.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Once you screw up a goalie, there is no getting him back.

I think the management will upgrade in goal and let Demko mature for one more season in the AHL. In my mind, that is the right move if they don't think he is ready.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Anyone else have a feeling Baertschi's days are numbered? I notice Leipsic is playing the wing on Horvat and Boeser's line, while Baer has been relegated to the 3rd line with Gagner and Virtanen. I know Green is just trying Leipsic on the top line, but it's working well so far. Baertschi was also recently benched.

JB: "Travis, we are going to start negotiation with Sven's agent. Can you make sure his production stays where it is now so we can have an upperhand in the negotiation?"

TG: "On it."

TG goes on to scratch Baer saying that he "randomly" picked out a player. Then, places him on a line with Gags and Jake when he is back in the lineup. Perfect plan.

But yeah, I feel like Baer's days are numbered. Next season is probably his last chance to solidify his spot on the roster before an onslaught from the youth begins.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I have the same feeling. I can see Benning packaging Baertschi, Hutton, and Gagner for a player or some picks before the draft.

You'll see those three played quite a bit as the season winds down.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

He definitely looks better on the boards than Baertschi, and also more aggressive taking the puck to the net.  If that's his usual play (and it's not just a one-game adrenaline bump) I agree that he's a better fit on that line.  

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Anyone else have a feeling Baertschi's days are numbered?

I've been pretty vocal that I don't see Baer here long term (and that's not a slight on him as a player, more of a function of circumstance). I'd always assumed that one of Goldobin, Dahlen etc would eventually make him redundant and hence move-able. But it may turn out a guy we got for freaking Holm, may be the straw that broke that camel's back.

As HW said, if BL can keep this up at even roughly this level, even somewhat consistently (let's not pretend Baer is overly consistent either) and Goldobin can continue to look at least serviceable in a middle 6 skill role, it certainly makes Baer more expendable and sooner than later. Those two players have the rest of this season to solidify those spots and make Baer expendable. I look forward to watching that develop ::D

I'd not be remotely surprised to see Baer moved ahead of/at the draft and perhaps packaged with one of MDZ/Hutton (or Edler if they get serious offers).

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1