The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Thomas Vanek to Blue Jackets for Jussi Jokinen, Tyler Motte

On 2/27/2018 at 4:38 PM, fivethej said:

I don't understand how Benning wasn't able to get a pick included when he agreed to take on Jussi Jokinen contract. Look at all the other trades and picks were involved.

Motte is looking pretty good right now

On ‎2018‎年‎3‎月‎31‎日 at 6:57 AM, rekker said:

Add Vanek to the recent list of our players that other GM's wouldn't buck up for at the deadline that would of made their team better.  Stars wouldn't buck up for Hamhuis. Ducks should of bucked up for Miller last year. Now Vanek. 

Remember saying(TDL, next day), how impressively I felt the CBJ GM manoeuvred with his series of moves.(Van the man, Letestu, Cole)

They're well-positioned now. Would LOVE to see them BBQ the Pens in April!

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Remember saying(TDL, next day), how impressively I felt the CBJ GM manoeuvred with his series of moves.(Van the man, Letestu, Cole)

They're well-positioned now. Would LOVE to see them BBQ the Pens in April!

Yeah they looked like world beaters last night :P

Nice to see Motte rewarded last night.

Has played some great shutdown/matchup hockey since arriving.

22% ozone starts = hard minutes. 42% corsi is quite good in that context, on this (depleted) team.

47 hits in 15 games.  5 takeaways, 1 turnover.

2.3 on ice goals against per 60 is outstanding with his deployment - 24 team mates get scored on more regularly,  while 29 of them get higher ozone starts than he does.

Really nice pick up - that will remain waiver ineligible to start next season.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

22% ozone starts = hard minutes. 42% corsi is quite good in that context, on this (depleted) team.

2.3 on ice goals against per 60 is outstanding with his deployment - 24 team mates get scored on more regularly,  while 29 of them get higher ozone starts than he does.

We are absolutely desperate for these sort of guys too.  Sutter is given the hardest minutes in the league of any forward.  He needs as much help as he can get.  Guys like Gaunce and Motte are a lot more valuable than some give credit for.

1 hour ago, SamJamIam said:

We are absolutely desperate for these sort of guys too.  Sutter is given the hardest minutes in the league of any forward.  He needs as much help as he can get.  Guys like Gaunce and Motte are a lot more valuable than some give credit for.

The entire team is filled with them Granlund, Sutter, Archibald, Motte, Gaunce, Eriksson, maybe Virtanen.  What the Canucks need is someone to score 30 goals or get 60 points.  This team has enough "200" ft players.  They need some on who is actually good at generating anykind of offense.  It cant all be Boeser and to some extent Horvat who is also a "200ft" hockey player.

1 minute ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

The entire team is filled with them Granlund, Sutter, Archibald, Motte, Gaunce, Eriksson, maybe Virtanen.  What the Canucks need is someone to score 30 goals or get 60 points.  This team has enough "200" ft players.  They need some on who is actually good at generating anykind of offense.  It cant all be Boeser and to some extent Horvat who is also a "200ft" hockey player.

Crosby is a 200 foot player.  MacKinnon worked super hard to become a 200 foot player.  We need all our guys to pla the right way.  I get what you’re saying though.  We need elite skill.  I think Pettersson and Dahlen will bring a lot of that.  I hear they are both defensive thinking guys too.  

I also think at least one Dman who can contribute to our offence would make a big difference too.  

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Crosby is a 200 foot player.  MacKinnon worked super hard to become a 200 foot player.  We need all our guys to pla the right way.  I get what you’re saying though.  We need elite skill.  I think Pettersson and Dahlen will bring a lot of that.  I hear they are both defensive thinking guys too.  

I also think at least one Dman who can contribute to our offence would make a big difference too.  

To me the offense will absolutely flourish with an offensive defensemen.  I absolutely love Alex Edler, but he is not an offensive defenseman.  He is known as the enforcer on the Swedish national team hahahaa.  Karlsson, Ekman-Larsson, Dahlin, Boqvist, and even Mike Green would be a nice addition.  The team deperately needs a defender who can shoot the puck and one who can rush the puck.  The last time the team had both (Weber, Bartkowski) the Canucks made the playoffs.  Weber scored 11 and Bartkowski did the one thing he knew how to do well consistently. hahahaha

Weber and Barkowski are not good hockey players, but it does go to show how badly the team needs players with those types of skills. 

5 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

To me the offense will absolutely flourish with an offensive defensemen.  I absolutely love Alex Edler, but he is not an offensive defenseman.  He is known as the enforcer on the Swedish national team hahahaa.  Karlsson, Ekman-Larsson, Dahlin, Boqvist, and even Mike Green would be a nice addition.  The team deperately needs a defender who can shoot the puck and one who can rush the puck.  The last time the team had both (Weber, Bartkowski) the Canucks made the playoffs.  Weber scored 11 and Bartkowski did the one thing he knew how to do well consistently. hahahaha

Weber and Barkowski are not good hockey players, but it does go to show how badly the team needs players with those types of skills. 

I think Green was so POed at Hutton, because he sees the potential Hutton has to be an offencive Dman.  Hutton needs to be in super shape though, so he can get involved in the offence and not get gassed.  

Maybe we win the draft lotto and get Dahlin?  That would make our finished rebuild instantly an elite team.  

1 hour ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

If we had such an excess of these guys, Sutter would not be relied on so heavily.  This issue is quality not quantity.  We only have so many roster spots so we need some very good defensive players to take the burden off our best offensive players.  The latter are coming with Dahlen and Pettersson joining Brock, Goldy, Horvat and Baer.

1 hour ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Out of that group I would say maybe Motte could be our next Sutter. He's the type of player who is fast and smart enough to grasp that checking centre role. It's not an appreciated role but can lead to a decent career. See Vern Fiddler. 

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

Motte is an interesting prospect. He can play in the AHL next year as well so I'm kind of surprised Columbus let him go.  Probably not a popular opinion but I prefer Motte over Gaunce. 

2 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

The entire team is filled with them

As it should be.  That's the nature of the modern NHL - you can't have one dimensional floaters anywhere in your lineup.

But you grossly overstate your case imo.  The team is not fillled with these guys.  We're talking specifically guys that can consistently handle hard minutes / matchups - and those kind of players should not be undervalued, particularly when they're exceptionally effective.   The better these guys are, the less pressure there is on your scorers - and the more opportunities there are for those players.  It's a complementary relationship that you, instead, play off each other.

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Motte is an interesting prospect. He can play in the AHL next year as well so I'm kind of surprised Columbus let him go.  Probably not a popular opinion but I prefer Motte over Gaunce. 

Motte is a bit more physical than Gaunce - likes to hit more.  I find him more 'noticeable' than Gaunce, who seems to quietly stifle opposition, but doesn't really 'visually' stand out.  Otherwise I like them both, particularly together - they're both good skaters, handle hard minutes very well (good underlying numbers), and very good attention to defensive detail imo.  Always appreciate players like that because they're the ones that limit opposition possession, and in doing so set the tables for their own scoring threats.  Without the Malhotras the Sedin types aren't quite as successful - someone has to generate those ozone starts.

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Motte is a bit more physical than Gaunce - likes to hit more.  I find him more 'noticeable' than Gaunce, who seems to quietly stifle opposition, but doesn't really 'visually' stand out.  Otherwise I like them both, particularly together - they're both good skaters, handle hard minutes very well (good underlying numbers), and very good attention to defensive detail imo.  Always appreciate players like that because they're the ones that limit opposition possession, and in doing so set the tables for their own scoring threats.  Without the Malhotras the Sedin types aren't quite as successful - someone has to generate those ozone starts.

I think Motte is a little quicker than Gaunce as well. I am not sure there  will be room for both going forward. My guess Motte starts next year in the minors. Gaunce has a year to continue improving but definately has some competition for his job .  

15 minutes ago, rekker said:

I think Motte is a little quicker than Gaunce as well. I am not sure there  will be room for both going forward. My guess Motte starts next year in the minors. Gaunce has a year to continue improving but definately has some competition for his job .  

I think Motte has shown enough to earn at least a 4th line role next season, but his eligibility to get to Utica without waivers could allow for a prospect to get his 9 games in or give more time to make some final decisions or moves to be made.

Archived