The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Thomas Vanek to Blue Jackets for Jussi Jokinen, Tyler Motte

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

As it should be.  That's the nature of the modern NHL - you can't have one dimensional floaters anywhere in your lineup.

But you grossly overstate your case imo.  The team is not fillled with these guys.  We're talking specifically guys that can consistently handle hard minutes / matchups - and those kind of players should not be undervalued, particularly when they're exceptionally effective.   The better these guys are, the less pressure there is on your scorers - and the more opportunities there are for those players.  It's a complementary relationship that you, instead, play off each other.

Of course on a bad team you lack everything, but I think its glaringly obvious that this team is absolutely bereft of geniunine offensive talent.  I would love a 40 goal "floater" or an 80 point "defensive liability".  This team can't score 5 on 5 and now with the Sedin's gone I doubt they will be able to score consistently on the powerplay either.

12 hours ago, SamJamIam said:

If we had such an excess of these guys, Sutter would not be relied on so heavily.  This issue is quality not quantity.  We only have so many roster spots so we need some very good defensive players to take the burden off our best offensive players.  The latter are coming with Dahlen and Pettersson joining Brock, Goldy, Horvat and Baer.

Sutter is relied on so heavily because that is his primary skill and Green absolutely loves a checking line.  Its not like you are going to have 2 or 3 checking lines.  Again, Archibald, Motte, Eriksson, Granlund, Dorsett, and Gaunce all didnt look out of place on his wings. 

If you are trying to say that Sutter is a good hockey player and that he deserves more credit than he gets then sure I am with you on that 100%.  If you are saying that this team lacks more defensive forwards over offensive forwards then I think you are missing the boat.  This team has enough defensive forwards.  I mean if you need Kopitar, Kesler, Barkov, O'Rielly or Couturier to mean that someone is good in the defensive role then thats too high of a bar.  Gaunce and the rest are above average defensively and more importantly defense is their primary skill set.  Have you seen Gaunce shoot a puck?   

10 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I think Motte has shown enough to earn at least a 4th line role next season, but his eligibility to get to Utica without waivers could allow for a prospect to get his 9 games in or give more time to make some final decisions or moves to be made.

the waiver option for Motte is nice to have for sure, makes that trade well worth it imo. I don't think the 9 game slide matters anymore tho for his contract since he's already in the 2nd year of it. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the waiver option for Motte is nice to have for sure, makes that trade well worth it imo. I don't think the 9 game slide matters anymore tho for his contract since he's already in the 2nd year of it. 

Not for his contract, for someone elses'. Getting someone else a look - Motte can be sent down (contract reasons) while the 'future young guy / new draft pick' gets his 9 games, then that 'junior' player is sent back and Motte brought back up. No waivers involved, no risk of losing guys, and the young guy gets an NHL sniff along with the 'what to work on' aspect.

On 08/04/2018 at 6:47 PM, CaptainLinden16 said:

The team deperately needs a defender who can shoot the puck and one who can rush the puck. 

Remember when Stecher first joined the team - and started bombing pucks from everywhere?  We actually looked dangerous for once.  The coaches seem to have coached that right out of him.

4 hours ago, aliboy said:

So last night Vanek had a goal and an assist, plus I believe he was standing right in front of the net on the goal that tied the game, even though he didn't get a point, good on him.

I always thought Columbus was a team to watch out for simply because of goaltending and Jones stepping up. Adding Vanek for a relatively cheap cost is as smart as it gets to give some experience to the young forwards that they have. I wonder if there's any correlation to Dubois ending the year hot as Vanek joined the team.

I hope the Canucks are paying attention when they are ready for playoff action. The best players to bolster your roster isn't always the big names on the market.

9 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

I just don’t understand how the market was so poor for Vanek. Columbus has been red hot since TDL and Vanek was the best player they got. How do Nash and grabner and maroon all go for more?

The thing is - Vanek has a reputation - deserved or not - of being a player that doesn't necessarily work terribly hard - and isn't the stereotype of an ideal deadline addiition.

It has reflected repeatedly - in the returns he's commanded - and the terms he's earned in free agency.

Look at that however you want - but Vanek has emerged as somewhat a 'changed' veteran.  Certainly in his time here you could not contend that he was the player he's been in the past - he was hard working, showed up consistently and had a notable competitive fire - and he produced.

So - in the end - you'd have to look at his being undervalued as an advantage/opportunity that the team took advantage of.  His return may have been proportionate to the price they paid in free agency (ie a one year term at depth forward cap) - but really, Motte imo is a solid return regardless - a very good young prospect who will remain waiver ineligible to start next year - and after the way Jokkinen performed, you have to consider it a great trade for both teams (Joker with 10 pts in 14 g, Vanek 15 in 19 and Motte being a solid contender to be a 3rd line type two way matchup forward for this team in the future.)  Anyone who has tracked this team over the past, particularly in their contending years, ought to realize the value those types of players can bring to a franchise - they're the next tier - of players you win with.

But where Vanek is concerned - good for him - he really won me over in his time here - I hope he and the CBJ kill it in the playoffs.  Nice to see him shake the monkey off his back - and to do so with hard work / determination.  Really couldn't ask more of him - a great bargain acquisition that keeps on giving.

22 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Look at that however you want - but Vanek has emerged as somewhat a 'changed' veteran.  Certainly in his time here you could not contend that he was the player he's been in the past - he was hard working, showed up consistently and had a notable competitive fire - and he produced.

Maybe it was the Sedins' positive influence...

11 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

I just don’t understand how the market was so poor for Vanek. Columbus has been red hot since TDL and Vanek was the best player they got. How do Nash and grabner and maroon all go for more?

How about Kane in San Jose.

Its like that for some players.

On 4/13/2018 at 4:28 AM, flickyoursedin said:

Thomas Vanek>Rick Nash! Still can’t believe all these playoff teams slept on Vanek!

The media's potrayal of Vanek really sabatoged his trade value. It almost felt like the media really wanted to make sure Vancouver couldn't get anything out of Vanek. 

On 4/9/2018 at 10:54 PM, CaptainLinden16 said:

This team can't score 5 on 5 and now with the Sedin's gone 

Wow, you can see into the future with such clarity!    What else do you see?   I assume you must be independently wealthy as you can know the outcome of games, market trends and even world crises.   How does the final season of GoT go?    

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

The media's potrayal of Vanek really sabatoged his trade value. It almost felt like the media really wanted to make sure Vancouver couldn't get anything out of Vanek. 

Did it really though?  If a team that had playoffs aspirations thought Vanek could help them wouldn't they have signed him in the offseason?  He wasn't signed until late August and at only 2 mill, most playoff teams could afford that but obviously all of them decided he wasn't worth the gamble and they had better players on the team already.  You can say he played great but at the end of the day there were stretches of the season where I forgot he was even on the roster when watching the games where he would be MIA for a week and then pop back out and pot 5 points in 3 games.  I think most teams are afraid of that hit and miss and consistency and if he missed in the playoffs then he really would be a liability. 

6 hours ago, iinatcc said:

That and I feel like Holland set Vaneks price. Fans and media couldn’t fathom the idea of Vanek being worth more than last year with one more year added to his name.

Archived