The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Thomas Vanek to Blue Jackets for Jussi Jokinen, Tyler Motte

8 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The only one failing is you.. You're the one bumping a thread after 3 preseason games calling out people who weren't thrilled with it.. Seems to me that you were on a mission.  Too bad you didn't realize that the thing you were calling people out for "being premature" was the exact same thing you were doing....haha typical oldnews....swing and another miss.  

Speaking of straw, i'm curious to what people said it would have been better getting nothing in steading of accepting this deal?  People just stated they would have preferred picks.... and when I say people....that includes our GM Jim Benning..  

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/benning-wanted-picks-return-settled-next-best-thing/

Yep sorry oldnews that's game set and match for you. haha

Oh yea I think everyone wanted more shots at the draft but if no one offers squat then you take what you can get for a rental.

Motte doesn't need waivers to be sent down...

He shows a lot of hustle with very little production...other players that were signed bring the same thing...at least that is the message management is saying "add veteran leadership on the 4th line to allow the skilled young guns to develop in the NHL", therefore, they brought in Beagle, Roussel and Schaller...these players were brought in to replace the existing 4th liners.

Motte is a 4th liner that can be sent down without waivers...it's a no brainer.

Aside from the ludicrous nature of reviving this thread based on hot air that has been pointed out.

By what possible metric has Motte been our best young player in the pre-season?

It seems to me that there is a group of Petterson, Sautner, Goldobin, Leipsic, and maybe Gaudette that are leading the pack of kids fighting for spots.

Motte is somewhere in the middle of the also ran pack of Dahlen, Boucher, Palmu, and Juolevi.  He is an older player who should easily be better than true rookies entering their first pro year.

A guy playing 4th line minutes in the pre-season, not putting up points, and not being a plus player is nothing to be crowing and calling people out about.  The guy is less likely to make the opening night roster than Archibald for gosh sakes...

45 minutes ago, Provost said:

A guy playing 4th line minutes in the pre-season, not putting up points, and not being a plus player is nothing to be crowing and calling people out about.  The guy is less likely to make the opening night roster than Archibald for gosh sakes...

Motte played 16 minutes last night - if facts matter to you.  And lead the penalty kill with Sutter (3:00 - nearly the ice time you cited overall).

And appreciate the plus/minus "analyticz" - very instructive.

If Archibald had what Motte does - the ability to consistently get to the heart of the play, particularly on the defensive side of the puck, he might not be a 28 year old AHL/NHL tweener.  Which is not to say that I don't value Archibald, or that he doesn't conceivably play a role at the NHL level, but the chances of him carving out an NHL career are not very strong relative to Motte.

But there's no real comparison to be made between these two, and if you believe Archibald is more likely to make the roster, I have to wonder whether you've watched any of preseason, which by your impression that Motte is playing "4 minutes" would suggest you haven't.

• -SN- locked this topic

Archived