The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte | #64 | C/W

48MPHSlapShot

I was quite to write off Motte but he's only 24 and is becoming a fantastic shut-down PK 4th line player. He's not overly tough but he's sound defensively and can chip in a tiny bit offensively but primarily is a great shutdown guy.

Long gone are the days of top scoring line, 2nd scoring line, shutdown 3rd line and goon 4th line. Nowadays it's more 3 scoring lines and a 4th line of PKers but they need to be able to score because come playoff time this is when these guys are huge. Motte does have some skill hiding in there.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 7:34 AM, J-P said:

We need Motte on the 4th line to ice a balanced roster, he’s been missed the first two games. 

You’ve said it all here.

He supplies the balance and stability to entire roster above him, and helps create one hell of a tenacious line with Schaller and Beagle.

This player can not get back quick enough.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

You’ve said it all here.

He supplies the balance and stability to entire roster above him, and helps create one hell of a tenacious line with Schaller and Beagle.

This player can not get back quick enough.

I totally agree.  And when you have to replace him in the lineup with players who play with so much less intensity, like Eriksson & Baertschi, if starts to create a totally different (i.e., lifeless) team identity. They need him back soon, before they start backsliding to the style of play they showed the past few seasons.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Really looking forward to Motte coming back.

He's got an unmatched compete level.

Schaller has been ok, but he doesn't go like Motter.

Once (if) the forward group is healthy, who comes out for Motte's return?

It's looking like Ferland could be the odd man? Crazy. Well Ferland, Jake or Leivo.. 

Miller Petey Boes

Pearson Bo Ferland/Leivo

Rooster Gaud Virt

Motte Beags Sutter

Ferland/Leivo, Schaller (waive Eriksson)

What the depth?! Great problem to have I suppose, but feel like somethings gotta give.

Leivo is having a great year and totally kicks ass on the boards.

Ferland needs to adjust to the team/system.

Schaller has been ok but easy enough to scratch.

Jake has been a beast in very limited minutes.

Motte has to play once healthy. He's absolutely everything you need/want in a 4th line guy in the modern NHL.

Gaudette has been too good and now requires waivers.

Who to trade? $&!#'s getting weird

Edited by luckylager

33 minutes ago, luckylager said:

It's looking like Ferland could be the odd man? Crazy. Well Ferland, Jake or Leivo.. 

Miller Petey Boes

Pearson Bo Ferland/Leivo

Rooster Gaud Virt

Motte Beags Sutter

What the depth?! Great problem to have I suppose, but feel like somethings gotta give.

Motte has to play once healthy. He's absolutely everything you need/want in a 4th line guy in the modern NHL.

Hate to say it but we will just cycle through more injuries most likely 

46 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Miller Petey Boes

Pearson Bo Ferland/Leivo

Rooster Gaud Virt

Motte Beags Sutter

Insane what we're looking at with all players back. To think we might be scratching Leivo, a 41-point guy is nuts. We have amazing offensive depth. My two cents are that Schaller is the next guy out, but after that, I might actually consider Ferland before Leivo, depending on how Ferland plays until Motte is back. Alternatively, I might just rather keep Motte out until another injury hits.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Insane what we're looking at with all players back. To think we might be scratching Leivo, a 41-point guy is nuts. We have amazing offensive depth. My two cents are that Schaller is the next guy out, but after that, I might actually consider Ferland before Leivo, depending on how Ferland plays until Motte is back. Alternatively, I might just rather keep Motte out until another injury hits.

Eriksson has to be waived..  if he isn’t, and we lose a good player over Eriksson,  it’s clearly a crime.

Schaller, Motte, Leivo and Ferland are playoff players these guys feed off of other teams weaknesses. Pitted against others for 7 games, they create confusion in the offensive end, they compliment hard work.

Their tasks become study, and they find ways to dismantle.

Eriksson can take his money to Utica, either reinvent himself, quit, or retire..  he offers nothing but the negative ire to stir our posts, it’s disruptive enough here on these boards, imagine what the dressing room is really like when your partnered with him when someone who offers more is sitting out.

Utica is where Eriksson will tap out.

If Kovalchuck can be sat out presently producing .5 ppg as a stat, Eriksson can be waived for offering nothing.

No sympathy required.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Eriksson has to be waived..  if he isn’t, and we lose a good player over Eriksson,  it’s clearly a crime.

Schaller, Motte, Leivo and Ferland are playoff players these guys feed off of other teams weaknesses. Pitted against others for 7 games, they create confusion in the offensive end, they compliment hard work.

Eriksson can take his money to Utica, either reinvent himself, quit, or retire..  he offers nothing but the negative ire to stir our posts, it’s disruptive enough here on these boards, imagine what the dressing room is really like when your partnered with him when someone who offers more is sitting out.

If Kovalchuck can be sat out presently producing .5 ppg as a stat, Eriksson can be waived for offering nothing.

No sympathy required.

I agree that he's below all those guys, but we will still need to scratch one more forward as a healthy scratch. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

No sympathy required.

Eriksson is actually a good defensive forward, probably the fifth best on our team. 

Guys on the team don’t hate him, but he should be the first one down. 

27 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Eriksson is actually a good defensive forward, probably the fifth best on our team. 

Guys on the team don’t hate him, but he should be the first one down. 

I’m not invoking, or neither did I use or mean to imply hate in this situation.

There are better team mates to dress with than him.

Just my opinion Habs,.  and despite the 6m sitting on the bench or press box,.  His somewhat “good” defensive stats are not a reasonable replacement for developing time with a prospect, prospects, or holding back an energy guy who can play the game (Motte, Schaller, Leivo ect).

And to think that Eriksson might cause one of those, or any player on this team to be waived or traded other than himself,.  Is not cool.

17 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Motte played well tonite,  wouldn’t mind seeing him get a shift with Miller and Petey, or Brock and Miller.

As much as I like Motte, I didn't really notice him out there tonight. Not like Roussel in his return.  But Roussel and the whole team looked overwhelmed tonight, so not an easy game for Motte to return in!

Motte played well tonite,  wouldn’t mind seeing him get a shift with Miller and Petey, or Brock and Miller.

No please he is an energy guy don’t elevate him in the lineup let him do what he does best

Edit: And I will go on record of saying I love the way Motte plays but he isn’t a top 6 player

Edited by Dats hockey
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

No please he is an energy guy don’t elevate him in the lineup let him do what he does best

Edit: And I will go on record of saying I love the way Motte plays but he isn’t a top 6 player

So you wouldn’t throw him on any top line for a boost for a couple of shifts in a game?

Sane with Rousell,.  Energy can be infectious, and create confusion on other teams.. mixing it up when we look predictable or flat can help.

• Cheers 1

So you wouldn’t throw him on any top line for a boost for a couple of shifts in a game?

Sane with Rousell,.  Energy can be infectious, and create confusion on other teams.. mixing it up when we look predictable or flat can help.

But Rousell has shown through his career that he meshes well

with top 6 players and Scores goals in the dirty areas, I’m tell you right now if you put Motte in the top 6 the CDC will start to crucify him, he is an ELITE BOTTOM 6 player

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

But Rousell has shown through his career that he meshes well

with top 6 players and Scores goals in the dirty areas, I’m tell you right now if you put Motte in the top 6 the CDC will start to crucify him, he is an ELITE BOTTOM 6 player

So..  Rousell was warranted a chance years ago,. When does Motte get his?

So your saying if a 4th line player is always a forth line player?

Dont forget Burrows was never projected to be the player he was.. hard work and opportunity was taken advantage of by both Coach and player.

What level of hockey you play til?

30 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

So..  Rousell was warranted a chance years ago,. When does Motte get his?

So your saying if a 4th line player is always a forth line player?

Dont forget Burrows was never projected to be the player he was.. hard work and opportunity was taken advantage of by both Coach and player.

What level of hockey you play til?

What I’m saying is we have a good thing going with motte, no need to massively change it not saying he can’t turn into that but that is a long shot and once you start to rely on long shots you are done