The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte | #64 | C/W

48MPHSlapShot

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

What I’m saying is we have a good thing going with motte, no need to massively change it not saying he can’t turn into that but that is a long shot and once you start to rely on long shots you are done

Whose relying on long shots?

im just saying,  giving the kid an opportunity isn’t going to hurt anything on this team .

Seems like your driving over a cliff without stopping at the veiw point that’s there.

On 12/16/2019 at 3:29 PM, SilentSam said:

Whose relying on long shots?

im just saying,  giving the kid an opportunity isn’t going to hurt anything on this team .

Seems like your driving over a cliff without stopping at the veiw point that’s there.

Moving players up and down the roster during a losing streak is legit IMO. Mott is coming off a long term injury so getting back into the tempo should be the top priority. Benning has to make a trade at some point so featuring players has value in that direction as well. 

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I counted Motte as the guy out given a fully healthy forward group, but now I'm thinking another guy would maybe sit out first, but picking who would be insanely tough.

Regardless, it's probably a moot point as I doubt we'll have a fully healthy forward group at any point for the rest of the year.

I never knew The Mighty Motte was 5'10'' 192lbs. Plays like he is 6'+ 200lbs+. He is also younger than Bo albeit only by a month.

41 hits in his 10 games played. Also a PK guy. The Mighty Motte's a great example of the fact that you don't need to be scoring in order to be effective. Spark plug player.

He scored a ton in college though so maybe there's a bit of offensive upside we haven't seen but then again maybe not.

Solid future on our bottom 6 if he continues his play.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I never knew The Mighty Motte was 5'10'' 192lbs. Plays like he is 6'+ 200lbs+. He is also younger than Bo albeit only by a month.

41 hits in his 10 games played. Also a PK guy. The Mighty Motte's a great example of the fact that you don't need to be scoring in order to be effective. Spark plug player.

He scored a ton in college though so maybe there's a bit of offensive upside we haven't seen but then again maybe not.

Solid future on our bottom 6 if he continues his play.

Absolutely,  Motte has made the 4th line an impact line since his return

I think that u see what type of player and what type of skill u get during training camp and during preseason games. U have to at least have some kind of belief in the coaching staffs capabilities and their judgement on who gets to play where and when. Motte is solid as a 4th liner though. 

2 hours ago, wloutet said:

A few years ago there was posted a top 50 in US Collegiate Hockey. At number 1 was Boesser, at number 50, just in his first year in College was Gaudette. Guess who was number 2?.......Motte.

its interesting, kind of shows you how you can't take the rankings too much to heart, all you know is you've probably got a decent player. The Boeser ranking was obviously correct, but now its Gaudette being talked about with 2nd line potential and Motte an energy line guy. It wouldn't surprise me if Motte crept his way up the lineup in spots later this year tho. He's so good in his role now tho I'd hate to see that line get broken up.

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

On 12/24/2019 at 2:32 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Motte is obviously the guy that stirs that 4th line to play so well. He goes down to injury and they play just so-so.  He comes back and the 4th line is back to playing hard and fast.  

Beagle plays a huge part in that as well. We have a pretty descent fourth line thats for sure.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I want someone who uses HF Boards to conduct an experiment, and do a poll asking if they're still upset that we didn't get a pick for Vanek :lol:

Just gonna leave this here for posterity:

Vancouver Canucks mess up the Thomas Vanek trade miserably

Instead of getting some valuable pieces for Thomas Vanek, the Vancouver Canucks failed big time in trading away the veteran scorer. As such, Jim Benning once again disappointed at the trade deadline.

The Vancouver Canucks had two fairly easy and winnable situations with forwardThomas Vanek: Give him an extension or trade him for valuable assets. Instead, they traded Vanek to the Columbus Blue Jackets for an ageing forward (Jussi Jokinen), and an unproven centre in Tyler Motte.

And Twitter once again roasted general manager Jim Benning and the front office for failing to acquire draft picks, and rightfully so. Vanek scored 17 goals and 41 points in 61 games for the Canucks, and provided ample leadership for Brock Boeser and other young players.

Think about this. The New York Rangers began their rebuild last week. And for some reason, it seems like they’re ahead of the Canucks in their rebuild — even though this is Benning’s fourth year on the job.

The Rangers sure did well getting so many assets for a fading veteran and pending UFA in Rick Nash, an inconsistent scorer in Michael Grabner plus captain Ryan McDonagh and J.T. Miller.

Losing the latter two hurts, but at least the Rangers are in great position to get back into contending within the next three years.

With all due respect to Jokinen and Motte, they simply aren’t on the same level of Vanek. The Canucks could have easily given him a two-year extension instead of settling for the Jackets’ mediocre offer. Jokinen has seven points in 46 games and is a pending UFA. He’s not coming back.

Motte? Some may believe the 5-foot-10, 191-pound centre may have some potential, just that he never got his chance in Columbus.

But 12 points in 64 games is hardly inspiring. And keep in mind the Canucks will be loaded at centre for a long time with Bo Horvat and Elias Pettersson, the immovableBrandon Sutter and captain Henrik Sedin — should he opt to keep on playing (any why wouldn’t he?)

Barring any surprised up the sleeve of head coach Travis Green, Motte won’t be getting his top-six minutes in Vancouver. They’ll use him as a No. 3 or 4 centre, and he won’t have the wingers to produce much.

Canucks fans have the right to feel frustrated about the direction of this team. They didn’t even trade away valuable commodities in Dan Hamhuis or Radim Vrbata two years ago, and both left in free agency. And in case you forgot, the goal of a rebuilding team is to acquire as many picks as possible at the trade deadline. This team is not set up well in 2018:

Vancouver have 6 picks in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Montreal and New York Rangers have 6 picks (each) in the first three rounds.

— Ryan Biech (@ryanbiech) February 26, 2018

Yes, the Canucks have the opportunity to bring back Vanek in free agency, but there’s no guarantee that happens. After the season he had in Vancouver, Vanek is entitled to finding himself a deal that may be too rich for Benning and president Trevor Linden.

The Canucks needed to get something for Vanek. They could have gotten draft picks for defenceman Erik Gudbranson, but they handed him a questionable extension instead. They held onto Ben Hutton, which may or may not be a good call.

With the failed Vanek trade, Benning and the Canucks are even more behind in their rebuild. Anything less than two draft picks at this year’s deadline would have been unacceptable. But they didn’t get any.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, wloutet said:

A few years ago there was posted a top 50 in US Collegiate Hockey. At number 1 was Boesser, at number 50, just in his first year in College was Gaudette. Guess who was number 2?.......Motte.

Yeah, Motte was on an insanely good NCAA line with Kyle Connor and J.T Compher. During the 2015/16 season Compher had 63 points, Connor had 71 points and Motte had 56 points, including 32 goals (Maximum Gaudette had in college was 30).

I've been saying since last season that he is creeping towards needing protection in the expansion. 4th liners generally are replaceable, but he seems to be a spark plug, likely on a cheap contract that has potential for more to his game. I'm almost curious to see how he fares on a line with EP and Miller.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2