The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte | #64 | C/W

48MPHSlapShot

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's becoming "ok" for people not only to dig into issues that may be affecting them, but to share their stories so others can relate as well.  No longer are these things family secrets, taboo or swept under the rug out of shame or fear.  Anxiety and depression are so common....especially in the world we live in today where there is so much fuel to really propel those things.  Isolation too...now that mental health issues are accepted as everyday life, people don't have to be alone with them.

I have learned a lot about generalized anxiety and "what ifs" that can be slid over into "what if nots" as a pretty handy tool.  Cognitive therapy along with some mindfulness training can really help identify how to combat this beast when it rears its ugly head.  So many incidents/trauma created it and I rarely sleep more than about 2 hours at a time...very lightly and never a full night of good sound sleep.  Brain doesn't like to shut down (ever) and, at night, it escalates.  

But understanding how the mind works is really key to re-programming it.  Relaxation techniques, exercise, etc. all really can help.  I feel much more "at ease" just knowing I can control it to some degree and don't have to feel helpless.

I loved this segment.  Good on Tyler for doing it...because it'll likely help some people who will feel a connection to what he's saying and maybe take the first steps.  Like him even more now.

Good post Deb.  I just get concerned when drug therapy is the first choice by the medical community.  I’m glad there are lots of ways to combat this problem before drugs are used.  I forget the first happy pill, but it was way out of control in the 50’s and 60’s.  It was an epidemic.  Way over used.  Maybe being open and talking about things, like Motte, is helping too?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Good post Deb.  I just get concerned when drug therapy is the first choice by the medical community.  I’m glad there are lots of ways to combat this problem before drugs are used.  I forget the first happy pill, but it was way out of control in the 50’s and 60’s.  It was an epidemic.  Way over used.  Maybe being open and talking about things, like Motte, is helping too?

Oh I am 100% in agreement....I am very anti drug treatment.  I understand there are chemical imbalances that sometimes call for drug therapy, however, not the average Joe as a "go to" as they walk through the door with anxiety or depression.  Try other routes first.  

A high school tried to force anti-depressants on my daughter.  Insisted she go on them for circumstances that I knew were situational and would eventually pass.  However...a drug addiction could be forever.  I pulled her out of that school so fast...

I worked in the alcohol & drug field for nearly 10 years so I'm one of those who won't even take a Tylenol....just so easy to go down a path of dependency (I have a brother who's got 12 years clean).  Sometimes drugs are necessary to maintain stability...but that should be very carefully determined by experts.

With you, Alf.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 1/15/2020 at 5:06 PM, debluvscanucks said:

It's becoming "ok" for people not only to dig into issues that may be affecting them, but to share their stories so others can relate as well.  No longer are these things family secrets, taboo or swept under the rug out of shame or fear.  Anxiety and depression are so common....especially in the world we live in today where there is so much fuel to really propel those things.  Isolation too...now that mental health issues are accepted as everyday life, people don't have to be alone with them.

I have learned a lot about generalized anxiety and "what ifs" that can be slid over into "what if nots" as a pretty handy tool.  Cognitive therapy along with some mindfulness training can really help identify how to combat this beast when it rears its ugly head.  So many incidents/trauma created it and I rarely sleep more than about 2 hours at a time...very lightly and never a full night of good sound sleep.  Brain doesn't like to shut down (ever) and, at night, it escalates.  

But understanding how the mind works is really key to re-programming it.  Relaxation techniques, exercise, etc. all really can help.  I feel much more "at ease" just knowing I can control it to some degree (how I react when I start sliding into that ridge) and don't have to feel powerless.

I loved this segment.  Good on Tyler for doing it...because it'll likely help some people who will feel a connection to what he's saying and maybe take the first steps.  Like him even more now.

Battling it right now, it is frustrating to say the least 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Does anyone have the footage of Karlsson decimating Motte’s fade ont he boards?

And also, why the hell didn’t Karlsson get penalized? His medieval hair flowing in the wind?

Because it wasn't a penalty, and if it were it was a 2 min, max.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Because it wasn't a penalty, and if it were it was a 2 min, max.

Yep, nothing dirty about it. If he would have slew footed him him or exploded through his head it would have been dirty. This just seemed a typically board play that unfortunately injured Motte. Honestly I was suprised karlsson out muscled him since mottes are pretty strong guy

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

I certainly hope that such an accidental hit to the head and a subsequent quick look at the ref for approbation is indeed afforded this side of the equation in the event that such a happenstance occurs.

That sentence doesn't make a lot of sense. I know you looked up the definition of words to use based on your normal verbiage....stick to those lol.

• Haha 1