The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte | #64 | C/W

48MPHSlapShot

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I view it as good managerial roster decisions (ie., not exposing anybody worth losing sleep over).

While I agree, theoretically you had someone in your stable you saw something and you probably want to keep everyone but, face it, you are not losing a core piece to waivers so the sleep you may lose is not likely sleep you really needed.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, BCNate said:

He put up a Adam Gaudete calibre season in the NCAA 2 years ago.  He could still turn out to be a player for us.

I don't mean to slag on Motte but my understanding is that he was on a stacked team (Kyle Connor, JT Compher, and Zach Werenski) so his NCAA numbers might be a bit deceiving. His points weren't tops on that team either.

Gaudette plays with Sikura and is tops on his team with only Sikura being a close 2nd.  He also surpassed Sikura this year after finishing 3rd in scoring on his team last year behind Aston-Reese and Sikura.

Again, not to slag on Motte, but Gaudette's trajectory shows more potential IMHO.

I haven't disliked Motte from his play thus far but he looks like a depth forward at this point in time.  Can't doubt that he has skill but so far it hasn't quite translated to pro hockey.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

3 of those players have Stanley cups...Just sayin.

Pointless to look at a players Corsi after 14 games and playing for multiple teams. He's still finding his way in the league.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

3 of those players have Stanley cups...Just sayin.

Pointless to look at a players Corsi after 14 games and playing for multiple teams. He's still finding his way in the league.

This is a cumulative corsi for his entire career. And yeah I do hope he finds success. Otherwise we basically gave Vanek away for nothing.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

His entire career of less than 82 games?

So you discount the stat completely?

I understand he's young and this is not the be all, end all... but it's just another thing he needs to work on - and in a big way.

There's good reason why both Chicago and Columbus gave him up.  We had to know the chances of him becoming an impact player was relatively slim; now we have a project player to roll the dice on. You mention his career has been short on NHL games - which is true - but I would argue the reason he doesn't have more games under his belt is because he just hasn't put together an NHL game in any reasonable way.

By all initial impressions, the throw-in Jokinen seems to have been the better acquisition.

This isn't at all to say he couldn't improve.  But the cards are certainly stacked against him.

15 hours ago, kloubek said:

I understand he's young and this is not the be all, end all... but it's just another thing he needs to work on - and in a big way.

There's good reason why both Chicago and Columbus gave him up.  We had to know the chances of him becoming an impact player was relatively slim; now we have a project player to roll the dice on. You mention his career has been short on NHL games - which is true - but I would argue the reason he doesn't have more games under his belt is because he just hasn't put together an NHL game in any reasonable way.

By all initial impressions, the throw-in Jokinen seems to have been the better acquisition.

This isn't at all to say he couldn't improve.  But the cards are certainly stacked against him.

It also ignores his usage and role.

I don't think anyone's expecting him to be a key top 6 player. 

15 hours ago, kloubek said:

Motte is going to be an excellent middle six guy for us for many years to come.  He doesn’t hurt us 5 on 5.  He chips in offensively.  He plays PK.  He brings lots of energy.

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Motte is going to be an excellent middle six guy for us for many years to come.  He doesn’t hurt us 5 on 5.  He chips in offensively.  He plays PK.  He brings lots of energy.

I hope so. I agree he brings energy, but while that has been an issue with this team for years, I feel with all the young guys coming we will have plenty of that.  He is good at a utility role, but so far I'm not really that impressed. I feel he needs to round out his game a lot better to become a regular in the NHL.  

But honestly, that's just a general opinion based on what I've seen so far.  Overall, I haven't really decided what I think of him, and the comments that he is still young aren't lost on me.

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I hope so. I agree he brings energy, but while that has been an issue with this team for years, I feel with all the young guys coming we will have plenty of that.  He is good at a utility role, but so far I'm not really that impressed. I feel he needs to round out his game a lot better to become a regular in the NHL.  

But honestly, that's just a general opinion based on what I've seen so far.  Overall, I haven't really decided what I think of him, and the comments that he is still young aren't lost on me.

He’s nothing special, with that I agree.  However, he is a useful NHL player.

34 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Try to think of him more as a potential future 'Hansen' and be less worried about him competing with say Dahlen for a top 6 spot.

Edited by aGENT

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Try to think of him more as a potential future 'Hansen' and be less worried about him competing with say Dahlen for a top 6 spot.

Nice ninja edit. :) 

No doubt his strength is in his utility style of play. If he develops into a player even remotely close to Hansen I'll be a happy man.

I don't know guys. Corsi be damned. The kid can play. He has looked great with Sutter and Archibald. Getting all the heavy assignments. You're gonna get hemmed in your own zone when facing the top player in the league. But when I watch him hound and fore check players it reminds me of a mini version of Hansen. No quit, always going hard. His offense is not great, but I do think we got a great defensively minded energy player on our hands. Can you honestly say that watching Motte you have gotten the sense that he doesn't belong? I don't care what metric you measure him by, he is effective and very useful.

Jeff Veillette is one of the worst at Canucksarmy, HE LOVES his stats. And considers them gold. Why go and post something like that on twitter? Douche! He did the same for Dorsett, slagged him for his Corsi, and Sutter as well. Then Dorsett is forced to retire due to injury and Canucksarmy writes a piece about how great a guy he was and how much of a warrior he was. Friggin Bi-polar website. I used to read it all the time. They used to not be so full of themselves.

• Cheers 1