The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tank Thread

Nave

The trade deadline has come and gone, and I think we need a dedicated tank thread. 
While some are not happy about the return for Vanek, trading our 3rd highest scorer goes a long way in helping our tank. 

We currently sit in the 4th spot, but the teams below us have been doing better in their last 10. It is conceivable that we finish last or 2nd last, especially since some of the other bottom dwellers have a game or 2 in hand. 

If we finish last, we have an 18% chance of getting 1st overall, a 48.1% chance of picking top 3, and cannot pick lower than 4th.
If we finish 2nd last, we have a 12.5% chance of getting 1st overall, a 36.2% chance of picking top 3, and cannot pick lower than 5th. 

I think most of us agree that a top 5 pick would be huge this draft, with a clear top 5 including: Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, and Boqvist.

Although I'm a big fan of Bouchard as well, and think he'll enter that conversation. 

Before we discuss where we are in the standings, and celebrate when other teams win, I'd like to include a video of the crown jewel of this draft:

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

We weren't quite ready this yr. So the endless list of key injuries have beautifully fueled this tank.

If the team had been healthy, a #20~22 OA was probably doable. We would've been fairly close to a wildcard-battle.

Predicting this is the last lousy yr we'll have to endure!

Losing Sutter and Horvat at the same time really fueled our tank. Showed how much those guys mean to our team. "Foundational" is the word Benning would use. 
We got the pieces to be a good team, and I agree that it's next year that we'll really pull together and compete for the playoffs. Getting a player who can play right away like Dahlin or Svechnikov would be huge in making us a competitive team again. Not to mention, Pettersson will likely join the team next year. 
One thing I'm excited about is how Green is showing a willingness to play our youth more. Horvat is playing tons. Boeser has been getting a lot of ice time for awhile (although he may need some rest). Virtanen is coming along, and got the 4th most minutes among our forwards tonight, despite getting 3 penalties. 

57 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

The trade deadline has come and gone, and I think we need a dedicated tank thread. 
While some are not happy about the return for Vanek, trading our 3rd highest scorer goes a long way in helping our tank. 

We currently sit in the 4th spot, but the teams below us have been doing better in their last 10. It is conceivable that we finish last or 2nd last, especially since some of the other bottom dwellers have a game or 2 in hand. 

If we finish last, we have an 18% chance of getting 1st overall, a 48.1% chance of picking top 3, and cannot pick lower than 4th.
If we finish 2nd last, we have a 12.5% chance of getting 1st overall, a 36.2% chance of picking top 3, and cannot pick lower than 5th. 

I think most of us agree that a top 5 pick would be huge this draft, with a clear top 5 including: Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, and Boqvist.

Although I'm a big fan of Bouchard as well, and think he'll enter that conversation. 

Before we discuss where we are in the standings, and celebrate when other teams win, I'd like to include a video of the crown jewel of this draft:

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

In a back hand way my "Guaranteed #4 pick" is a dedicated tank thread already.

but I think there is a conspiracy in the Canucks plan, if they are bad enough for another 2 years they will get the labour lock out/strike year as a bonus draft year. tin hats prevail.

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

In a back hand way my "Guaranteed #4 pick" is a dedicated tank thread already.

but I think there is a conspiracy in the Canucks plan, if hey are bad enough for another 2 years they will get the labour lock out/strike year as a bonus draft year. tin hats prevail.

Yeah, I realized that when I was in the middle of writing this, but went ahead anyway. The idea came to me when I realized that it was a good time to turn our attention to the tank, with the trade deadline passing. Noticed a lot of people saying that while they weren't happy with the return for Vanek, "at least it helps the tank."

I always want to celebrate when other bottom dwellers win or get an overtime loss--including, grudgingly, the Oilers--but didn't feel like there was a dedicated thread for that. I must admit that I didn't know about your thread.  

As much as I'd like first overall, the idea of tanking intentionally is a fallacy. Coaches need to win to keep employed and players will alway compete. 

About all this team could realistically do is to get Green to buy in to limiting the icetime of the top players and playing the young forwards 20+ minutes per game. They did say that they would give the younger guys prime icetime down the stretch but the competitive nature of the sport makes losing a tough sell. 

I think about what Burrows said, something along the lines of "play every shift like someone else id trying to get your job".....players aren't going to lay over for a top draft pick, they need to prove themselves to keep employed.

Play the Leipsics and Goldobins all the way and see what we have.  Split starts 50/50 with Markstrom and Nilsson or even give the edge to Nilsson to really see what (if anything) he can do with a semi-starting role.  He either shows his potential or helps the tank in a proper Roberto Romano fashion.  Paper down everyone we can for the Utica playoff run and try to win the Calder Cup.  If you can Virtanen, Goldobin, Leipsic etc. onto that team at the end of the year then go for it.

So, I'm running the NHL Lottery Simulator and in 10 attempts, Edmonton has come up 6 times in one of the top 3 slots, Vancouver has not come up even once, even though we have higher odds than Edmonton.

Clearly, the simulator is run by the NHL who never wants Vancouver to get a top pick! :P

55 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Play the Leipsics and Goldobins all the way and see what we have.  Split starts 50/50 with Markstrom and Nilsson or even give the edge to Nilsson to really see what (if anything) he can do with a semi-starting role.  He either shows his potential or helps the tank in a proper Roberto Romano fashion.  Paper down everyone we can for the Utica playoff run and try to win the Calder Cup.  If you can Virtanen, Goldobin, Leipsic etc. onto that team at the end of the year then go for it.

I think the paper thing needed to be done before the TDL.  

9 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is how the first two teams should have been ordered at the 1970 NHL Amateur Draft. ;) 

Yup, I remember that as well. We lost the coin flip. The start of a long trend of never having the 1st overall. Not really sure how we managed that with how bad we were in the late 80's.

Archived