The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tank Thread

Nave

Get some protection. 

Just sign a couple big rough guys for the bottom 6 and maybe a 5/6 defenseman that can play a checking game and let the kids take up offensive roles.

You're not going to spend much on these guys.

We probably won't get far like that next year but you give the kids a safe environment and make us harder to play against. Plus I hear the potential of us hosting the draft next year so tank on! Next year might be the final opportunity for a top 5 pick, although the lotto has proven otherwise.

I'll never actively cheer against my team and want it to fail as that is disrespectful to the players, but that's different from not being overly upset at losses when considering the big picture.  Especially when it's down to the wire in the last games.

Just not fond of the term "tank" because the clear implication is of intentional losing or ditching games, which is not only cheating the system but the fans, and putting management and coaching into disrepute, not to mention the game and league itself. There's nothing wrong however with auditioning pending FAs and kids for next year, in fact it's the wisest course of action long-term. 

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

I'll never actively cheer against my team and want it to fail as that is disrespectful to the players, but that's different from not being overly upset at losses when considering the big picture.  Especially when it's down to the wire in the last games.

Just not fond of the term "tank" because the clear implication is of intentional losing or ditching games, which is not only cheating the system but the fans, and putting management and coaching into disrepute, not to mention the game and league itself. There's nothing wrong however with auditioning pending FAs and kids for next year, in fact it's the wisest course of action long-term. 

I think it's moreso looking at the big picture, and hoping that we get a good spot in the draft. A lot of that has to do with chance, with the lottery. It's not like the NFL where a team can actively tank and get a set draft pick. That's the good thing about the lottery. However, it would be dumb to not see the benefits of picking top 5 as opposed to 7 or 8. 

Metaphorically, it's always darkest before the dawn. Knowing that makes losing more bearable, and winning is that much sweeter when it's hard to come by.
These are dark times to be a Canucks fan, but we have such a promising future. Guys like Horvat, Boeser, and Virtanen are responding to coaching, and almost always contribute when we win. Then, we have guys like Pettersson and Gaudette who may come up next year and make an impact. If we could add a guy who can play right away like Dahlin or Svechnikov, we could compete for the playoffs as soon as next year. There are also guys like Bouchard and Boqvist, who may need more time, but fill a need. 

When one thinks long-term, there is so much hope.

11 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Well, welcome to tanklandia. 

Now that you’ve entered the “acceptance” part of your recovery journey, you might have to go around apologizing to those who shyt on around here who got here first. :gocan:

Just a funny post I made 4 years ago

To the music of helter skelter

When they get to the bottom they say they're going top of the ride
Where they stop and they turn and they go for a slide
Till they get to the bottom and they trick you again

Do you, don't you want them to fool you
They're coming down fast but they're smarter than you
Tell them tell them tell them give them an answer
Well you may be a fan but you ain't no sucker

Now, buy more tickets, buy more tickets
Buy more tickets, ooh yeah
Ooh!

Will you, do you want them to fake you
They're coming down fast but don't let them take you
Tell them tell them tell them an answer
You may be a fan but you ain't no sucker

Look out, buy more tickets, buy more tickets
Buy more tickets, ooh

Look out, cos Bettman comes

When they get to the bottom they go back to the top of the ride
And they stop and they turn and they go for a slide
And then they go to the bottom and they fool you again
Yeah yeah yeah

Well do you, don't you want them to fake you
They're coming down fast but don't let them cheat you
Tell them tell them tell them this one thing
You may be a fan but you're not buying

Look out I'm done buying, I'm done buying
I am done buying

Look out it's helter skelter
The teams coming down fast
Yes they is
Yes they are coming down fast

(My head is spinning, ooh...

from that spin job, alrgiht!

I got moths in my wallet!)

Humour?Wink

23 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Get some protection. 

Just sign a couple big rough guys for the bottom 6 and maybe a 5/6 defenseman that can play a checking game and let the kids take up offensive roles.

You're not going to spend much on these guys.

We probably won't get far like that next year but you give the kids a safe environment and make us harder to play against. Plus I hear the potential of us hosting the draft next year so tank on! Next year might be the final opportunity for a top 5 pick, although the lotto has proven otherwise.

I actually like this idea.

Not because I like that kind of hockey - but because it is a reality.  

What kind of environment is it when you get pushed around and don't stick up for each other?  It is NOT a team environment.  I think JB understands this - which is why he signed Gudbranson to his recent deal...   Not that he is a fighter, but that he has that team mentality and can back it up when the $&!# hits the fan.  It's meathead hockey, but that is part of the game right now...

Really - we are another few years out - and keeping a skilled retool team didn't work at all... complete fail in fact.   So why not get some protection?  Got absolutely nothing to lose.  We may be more than a few years out actually... if the management was trying to stay competitive and the last few years was their attempt...  they may not really know what they are doing at all.  Which is great when we want to rebuild, but may not be great when the rebuild should be over...

15 hours ago, dukeofcanuck said:

Would love it if brock won the Calder, but at this point his health should take priority. He already has proven that he is the real deal.

2 goals tonight. The Leipsic signing may have just been what he needed. If he has 35+ goals by the end of the season I think he has a chance. 

16 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Well, welcome to tanklandia. 

Now that you’ve entered the “acceptance” part of your recovery journey, you might have to go around apologizing to those who shyt on around here who got here first. :gocan:

Apparently it wasn't clear enough for you to see the distinction.

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Lundquist joining team tank for Vancouver! :) 

Great game by the kids!

No kidding. He denied so many point blank shots from the slot. We generated a lot of shots, and in good spots too. 
Our goaltending, on the other hand, is just horrendous. I think goaltending has been the #1 reason we're near the bottom of the standings, over injuries. 
Buffalo and Arizona are suddenly playing well. Buffalo somehow beat Tampa tonight, and Arizona are 6-3-1 in their last 10. Buffalo may have improved addition by subtraction with the Kane trade, and Arizona didn't really sell like they were expected to--they just improved their goaltending. 

On 27/02/2018 at 6:10 AM, GarthButcher5 said:

As much as I'd like first overall, the idea of tanking intentionally is a fallacy. Coaches need to win to keep employed and players will alway compete.

Yes, that's why tanking is done by the GM.  He makes sure that the team doesn't have the players they need to win in the NHL, knowing that the coaches and players are always going to try to win.

In our case, you'll remember earlier in the season when we had an injury, Benning went right out the next day and traded for a fill-in.  But, when injuries happened over the last month, he filled those spots with AHL'ers instead.  He doesn't want an NHL caliber fill-in.  He traded our 3rd leading scorer - for someone who has 12 career points.  He's talking about giving the kids ice-time.  Etc...

40 minutes ago, xereau said:

You know what really grinds my gears?  That freakin Oilers are sliding further, and further towards Dahlin.  If they get him.............

tenor.gif?itemid=4514235

Edmonton is a joke. Hall for Larson and Eberle for Strome? My grandma could make better deals then that. 

Archived