The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tank Thread

Nave

On 27/02/2018 at 9:10 AM, GarthButcher5 said:

As much as I'd like first overall, the idea of tanking intentionally is a fallacy. Coaches need to win to keep employed and players will alway compete. 

About all this team could realistically do is to get Green to buy in to limiting the icetime of the top players and playing the young forwards 20+ minutes per game. They did say that they would give the younger guys prime icetime down the stretch but the competitive nature of the sport makes losing a tough sell. 

I think about what Burrows said, something along the lines of "play every shift like someone else id trying to get your job".....players aren't going to lay over for a top draft pick, they need to prove themselves to keep employed.

This is factually accurate.  Players want points and coaches ws to keep employed.  Management has to strategize to make the tank work,  trading away vets for picks and prospects always helps, and losing Vanek will.  LE injury could too depending on who comes up or how they manage that. I've read a ton on the subject, even when Lemuiex was up for grabs NJ won enough games near the end of the year to lose out on him ( when your think even the players themselves would let some in on purpose to get a guarantee like that), and other teams have won their last game and lost out too.  

GMs can try, but hockey players aren’t capable of tanking. 

It wouldn’t matter who the roster was made of, there would be no quit.

Well, unless there were a bunch of Kovalev’s or something, but a bunch of kids and NHL-hopefuls would never stop tying to win. That’s just sport and hockey is too primal to be apathetic or geared to tank.

I have been grateful for the Linden era strategies and accidental tanks. 

A few more years of this management and there should be a new core in place. 

After that, who knows what will happen to this management team. 

I'm not sure that GM's tank either.  IMO they plan to win at the beginning of the season but as the season goes on they need to start planning for next season and how best to make it a successful season.  Thus trade vet for futures give young guys more playing time so they have experience for the following year etc. Which can result in a drop in positioning aka tanking. 

55 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

GMs can try, but hockey players aren’t capable of tanking. 

It wouldn’t matter who the roster was made of, there would be no quit.

Well, unless there were a bunch of Kovalev’s or something, but a bunch of kids and NHL-hopefuls would never stop tying to win. That’s just sport and hockey is too primal to be apathetic or geared to tank.

I have been grateful for the Linden era strategies and accidental tanks. 

A few more years of this management and there should be a new core in place. 

After that, who knows what will happen to this management team. 

HAHA oh man.  Carl the Cuck has come a long ways.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Season goal projections versus last year:

+40 GF

+26 GA

The extra 1/3 goal against is largely due to goaltending, but good to see that we're up 1/2 a goal per game in scoring.  50% improvement in the powerplay, from 14% to 21%.  PK is about the same.

I think other teams will pass us because they have better goaltending, but we'll continue to score. I'm okay with that. 

I absolutely love what is happening right now. Benning and Linden have a very solid group on the ice right now and they are working their buts off and are scoring a ton of goals. Look at the last 5 games in terms of production from these young guns and from DANIEL! Very exciting hockey right now! Throw in the 5 prospects that were show cased last night in the 2nd intermission (Gadjovich, Peterson, Gaudette, Juolevi and Lind) and we are sitting pretty in this rebuild ! That doesn’t include Dahlen or Demko which would be 7 ! 

The best part about all of this though ... IS THAT OUR GOAL TENDING SUCKS ! I was so happy about our third goal last night, what a great game, I was loving it ! The best part though, was knowing our goalie would lose us the game so we didn’t climb in the standings. 

Silver Lining ... kids should still feel good about how hard they are working and be excited about the future and be very confident in themselves (unlike the coilers), plus  we’re not climbing in the standings, Demko is staying in Utica (please don’t call him up, we do NOT need someone to make a big save or NOT give up a soft goal) we have 5 wicked prospects coming (7 if you include Demko & Dahlen) and if we can keep our spot in the standings we will have another 3-6 gems (hopefully lots of Defense) in our already deep prospect pool ! 

Next year if Demko comes I believe we will have the goaltending to match the offensive development and we will push for a playoff spot. And then a year or two after that our NEW defensive prospects should come into their own and we will be a force to reckon with. Loving this stealth tank / rebuild ! Great job Benning and Linden ! I’m pumped !!!! 

17 hours ago, Caniners77 said:

I absolutely love what is happening right now. Benning and Linden have a very solid group on the ice right now and they are working their buts off and are scoring a ton of goals. Look at the last 5 games in terms of production from these young guns and from DANIEL! Very exciting hockey right now! Throw in the 5 prospects that were show cased last night in the 2nd intermission (Gadjovich, Peterson, Gaudette, Juolevi and Lind) and we are sitting pretty in this rebuild ! That doesn’t include Dahlen or Demko which would be 7 ! 

The best part about all of this though ... IS THAT OUR GOAL TENDING SUCKS ! I was so happy about our third goal last night, what a great game, I was loving it ! The best part though, was knowing our goalie would lose us the game so we didn’t climb in the standings. 

Silver Lining ... kids should still feel good about how hard they are working and be excited about the future and be very confident in themselves (unlike the coilers), plus  we’re not climbing in the standings, Demko is staying in Utica (please don’t call him up, we do NOT need someone to make a big save or NOT give up a soft goal) we have 5 wicked prospects coming (7 if you include Demko & Dahlen) and if we can keep our spot in the standings we will have another 3-6 gems (hopefully lots of Defense) in our already deep prospect pool ! 

Next year if Demko comes I believe we will have the goaltending to match the offensive development and we will push for a playoff spot. And then a year or two after that our NEW defensive prospects should come into their own and we will be a force to reckon with. Loving this stealth tank / rebuild ! Great job Benning and Linden ! I’m pumped !!!! 

Yeah it's a huge difference from last year when we sucked and the games weren't exciting. It's pretty crazy how we're 4th last, but have the 6th ranked power play. 
However, we could be a much better team 5 on 5. I think it's true you learn more from your failures more than your successes, but it's easy to feel dejected when your goaltender lets in so many bad goals. I think our coaching staff is doing a good job of keeping the team motivated, and aware of what they're doing wrong and what they're doing right. 

9 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I dont know if its tanking or not but we will be a lottery pick again next year unless something changes drastically

I think we might go for the playoffs, but attempts might be futile. 

1 minute ago, NaveJoseph said:

I think we might go for the playoffs, but attempts might be futile. 

If we can get a playoff spot fine but I dont think we will. I guess that's why they play the games. As long as we dont give up draft picks or future players for a run when we wont be ready.

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

If we can get a playoff spot fine but I dont think we will. I guess that's why they play the games. As long as we dont give up draft picks or future players for a run when we wont be ready.

I think we'll try to get players in free agency and call up Pettersson and/or Gaudette.

Although the top 10 next year looks pretty good, and Benning might play the long game.

Just now, NaveJoseph said:

I think we'll try to get players in free agency and call up Pettersson and/or Gaudette.

Although the top 10 next year looks pretty good, and Benning might play the long game.

Im good with that. Playing the long game is the right thing to do until we are going to be able to challenge for a cup not just bubble around the playoffs

Archived