The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop the Sedin Hate

Goat James

There's been a lot of Sedin bashing going on here these past few weeks. People have been calling them a burden for the team, that Henrik is a bad captain and that they should retire. This makes me truly sad. The Sedins are the first real superstars to ever play their entire careers for us, and now they get this treatment? 

Sure, they aren't the elite players they once were, but given their age, I don't think that you can call them bad. They're on pace for almost 60 points, and Daniel is on pace for 25 goals. Those a really respectable numbers for any player, and especially given that they'll turn 38 this year. 

They've never been physical or fast players, but they are strong on the puck, and have the ability to slow down the game with their superb passing. The fact that they are second and third in team scoring proves that they're still effective! 

They are the perfect mentors for guys like Bo, Brock, Elias, Jonathan and hopefully Rasmus. They work hard, always talk to media and are all around great people. 

I say cherish the time that's left, 'cause it'll be a while until we get to watch such amazing players in a Canucks uniform again. 

The people bashing them are probably the same ones that want Evander Kane (a person with a complete lack of character) to be a Canuck.    I could be wrong on that assumption but I could not agree with you more.   The SEDINS are the class act of this Organization and we won't ever see the likes of this pair again.   BE careful what you wish for Vancouver.   This organization could easily fall apart when the Sedins do decide to hang them up.  What would we do without their leadership and mentoring.  Of course they will get a lot less points now - they are getting older and they are getting a lot less time on the ice.

I hope they come back for one more year as mentors and we all know how much they will work out to stay in the best shape that they are in now.

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

3 conditions:

1) They want to keep playing.

2) They don't take away ice time from new players, and happily accept a more limited role (That includes no first unit pp, no overtime).

3) They sign affordable deals with reasonable term. 

I think the second point you made is up to the coach and I find it hard that even next year, at least to start the year they wouldn't be on the PP.  Now as the season progresses and if our young guys coming in could prove they could play first PP then that would be great.  But at the end of the day Greens job is still to win games and be as competitive as he can and if he felt the Sedins were the best option to help them score on PP, they will be on that line.

For me personally, I don't hate the Sedins, I am sad to see them slowly being shells of their former selves and outside of PP they aren't amazingly productive at 5v5 anymore. Sometimes its just a matter of flipping the script and starting a new chapter like Iginla with the Flames, or Smyth with the Oilers, etc.

37 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Given they are UFA's July 1st, both? 

That wasn't the question.  Clearly if they do not want to return, they will not be on the team.  But what if they want to keep playing but the team does not want them -- who decides?  If the team says "no thanks" does that make them "haters", too?  Or do the Sedins alone determine whether they continue to play on the Vancouver Canucks?  There seems to be some sense of underlying entitlement at play here.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

That wasn't the question.  Clearly if they do not want to return, they will not be on the team.  But what if they want to keep playing but the team does not want them -- who decides?  If the team says "no thanks" does that make them "haters", too?  Or do the Sedins alone determine whether they continue to play on the Vancouver Canucks?  There seems to be some sense of underlying entitlement at play here.

The twins are currently the number 2 & 3 point producers on the team, it is absolutely ludicrous that anyone would suggest that the number 2 & 3 point producers on any NHL team are still playing due to some form of entitlement, other than pure production. 

I don't think anyone on this forum 'hates' the Sedins

They are the classiest players in the league, have given their hearts and soles to the Canuck organization and are guaranteed HOF players.

I can see the organization offering up a contract of some sort considering their production especially of late, but if they decide to call it most fans would welcome this as the final buzzer to our rebuild. Yes, the NMC of 14M for 2 players has slowed our rebuild.

Ticket sales could likely spike with fans looking forward to seeing really what management has been promoting all along. Youth, speed, skill, size, grit. 

Respectfully it's really time to move on, and hand the baton over...

There is nothing wrong with pointing out that

(a) Their contracts are up, and

(b) Their production is waning, and

(c) They are taking up valuable spots the youth need, and

(d) Daniel might be magnitudes better than Hank, and

(e) They can not be sheltered behind skillful match making forever, and

(f) That it is simply time we move on, as a team, and forge a new identity.

There is no hatred in any of those statements.  I appreciate all they have done.  I am actually consistently impressed with the timely goals they are able to produce (OK, Daniel).  But I am super tired of the cycle.  And super skeptical of their ability to defend.  And more than ready for a new era to emerge.

Archived