The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop the Sedin Hate

Goat James

10 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Honestly, 15 points when playing 9 minutes a night, half of that shorthanded, and scratched for 1/3 of the season isn't too shabby.

Disagree %100, if you remember watching the games as closely as I did he was slower than Henrik looks now, and that's saying something. 

I agree 100%  the fanbase is ruthless and shows no appreciation for the guys.

Naslund got treated even worse near the end. The constant bashing was relentless.  

The Sedins are still 50+ pt a season guys.  Having them around the team when Juolevi, Pettersson,  and Rasmus Dahlin (B)) are on the team next year is a great way to bring the young guys in,  the Sedins are true professionals, and the hardest working guys on and off the ice.  It's  the kind of influence you want around for the next wave.

3 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Disagree %100, if you remember watching the games as closely as I did he was slower than Henrik looks now, and that's saying something. 

I remember watching the games, and his positioning made up for any decline in speed.  He was still the team's best penalty killer.  One of my all time favorite Canucks memories is when he almost singlehandedly killed that 5-on-3 in his final season.  He went to talk to the bench halfway through it during a stoppage and then skated right back out and killed the rest of the penalty.  And that's aside from also being the team's best weapon in the shootout.

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I remember watching the games, and his positioning made up for any decline in speed.  He was still the team's best penalty killer.  One of my all time favorite Canucks memories is when he almost singlehandedly killed that 5-on-3 in his final season.  He went to talk to the bench halfway through it during a stoppage and then skated right back out and killed the rest of the penalty.  And that's aside from also being the team's best weapon in the shootout.

I'm not trying to turn this into a bash Linden's last year debate, but we don't need a penalty killer next season - we need guys who are going to put up 50 ish point seasons if the Twins retire. 

24 minutes ago, The Lock said:

To be honest, your statement could be said about anyone on this team. Had we had "x player" instead of "y player" we could have won a cup. To single out the Sedins to that is kind of petty and shows nothing more than bias rather than smarts.

They were our leading point getters in 2011. Check out how many points they tallied in the final series. I guess like their whole career they just produce when they feel like it? I am pretty sure if they produced their "regular" point production, we would have a cup under our belt.

6 hours ago, aliboy said:

The twins are currently the number 2 & 3 point producers on the team, it is absolutely ludicrous that anyone would suggest that the number 2 & 3 point producers on any NHL team are still playing due to some form of entitlement, other than pure production. 

they've been on the ice for more goals against than for...this is not good for the team.

The team will take a year to adjust without them, but it can't happen until they retire. It's time to rebuild this bottom dweller and young, fast, skilled and strong guys are the way to go.

11 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I'm not trying to turn this into a bash Linden's last year debate, but we don't need a penalty killer next season - we need guys who are going to put up 50 ish point seasons if the Twins retire. 

I wasn't advocating bringing Trevor out of the GM's suite and having him lace them up next year.

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

They were our leading point getters in 2011. Check out how many points they tallied in the final series. I guess like their whole career they just produce when they feel like it? I am pretty sure if they produced their "regular" point production, we would have a cup under our belt.

I don't really see how that translates to "if they were not here we could have won the cup". Last I checked this game was a team sport. Also, last I checked the Sedins were who a lot of the opposition focused on a few years back which helped open things up for the other lines. Therefore, if someone wants to bring up the argument of "if we didn't have the Sedins" then let me one up you with "if we had a different team".

Silly argument of course, but I think it highlights why 1 or 2 players should never be singled out in the playoff run. Crosby alone does not win trophies for Pittsburgh. Toews and Kane alone did not win cups for Chicago. Singling out 2 players in a team sport on a team that went on a run is nothing short of lazy.

Haven't time to scroll comments.

Just guessing a portion of the fanbase(whatever %..?..majority?), is perhaps tired of cycling, perimeter style of play. We all mostly grew up with imposing, hard driving & hitting, Cdn brand of puck. It's no sin to have an ideal version you prefer to see, with one's favourite sport/passion.

The Sedins were unique & successful, but personally I want to see this team strive for the ideal brand of game, most Cdn hockey fans love. Something like the Jets are offering up today.

The youth in the pipeline appear to have the required ingredients.

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It isn't hate at all, Shift. Merely seeing the situation for what it is. If there are capable young players (which I believe there are) in the system that can step into the NHL, then re-signing the Sedins becomes an exercise in nostalgia.

To state that it's time for them to move on is no more disrespectful than it was to move on from Burrows, Bieksa, or Hansen. All served the team well. All will be remembered fondly and with a sense of honor and reverence. None are hated.

It's out of control...

image.png.8a984fe579c005fae97543a979e5748f.png

32 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

I agree 100%  the fanbase is ruthless and shows no appreciation for the guys.

Naslund got treated even worse near the end. The constant bashing was relentless.  

The Sedins are still 50+ pt a season guys.  Having them around the team when Juolevi, Pettersson,  and Rasmus Dahlin (B)) are on the team next year is a great way to bring the young guys in,  the Sedins are true professionals, and the hardest working guys on and off the ice.  It's  the kind of influence you want around for the next wave.

How are people being ruthless? Wouldn't you rather have the Sedins go off on a high note?

9 minutes ago, dukeofcanuck said:

How are people being ruthless? Wouldn't you rather have the Sedins go off on a high note?

I would rather the Sedins go out on their own terms and not have the loudmouths of our fanbase bully them out of town.    As long as they are able to contribute as they have been why should they retire?  Because strangers say they should?   It's their career. They should get to retire when they are ready to.  And this city owes it to them to get off their backs.

Let them have another year. If they were struggling to put up points, or we were ready to really start and compete for a cup, then probably better they retire and step aside.

We have more high end youth coming to camp next year than probably any time in the history of this organization. There will be injuries as normal, let the next generation soak up as much experience as they can from these two. It will benefit us a year or two down the road.

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I think it is already known that they will have limited 5v5 role as seen from the start of the year (which seems like most have forgotten). 2nd PP I agree with but only if there are effective players that can replace them. Perhaps have different PP lineups that can be thrown out to shake things up and even throw off the opposition. As for OT, it is hard to not put out your current 2nd/3rd highest scorers to try to help win the game. I can't get behind not having them on in OT altogether, but perhaps have them seperated.

I'm just curious to why you believe Daniel is magnitudes better than Hank. Daniel does play with a bit more edge, but statswise, they are identical (just one is a scorer and one is a playmaker).

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

Daniel has 2 more points than Hank. Magnitudes!

They're 21 and 19 points ahead of the next highest producing forward (Eriksson) currently on the team that isn't first line (Baertschi/Horvat/Boeser).

Stats aren't everything I am talking about.  But on this end, would you not agree that goals are far, far more valuable than assists?

I can't exactly quantify what I am getting at here.  It is just a feeling I get from watching them play every single game.  Daniel seems to have had a fire lit under him. The hitting.  The going to the net.  The actual shooting of the puck.  Hank looks defeated. Like he is not enjoying himself out there.  The falling down. The lazy penalties.

The twins were great players. No doubt about it. But they should retire with dignity. They are too slow to play in today’s NHL. It’s sorry to see opposition players skating around them in circles and they just can’t do anything about it. If TG is stupid enough to send them out in OT, which he had done quite often,  the twins were too slow to get even a line change that they are pinned on ice for a long shift before the Canucks eventually lost in OT. The Canucks would not be out of the playoff race so soon had TG not played them together in OT games so often early in the season. It’s also painful to watch that a little push on the twins would create a turnover and odd men rushes against the Canucks. Yes they can still produce some points but they are always a defense liability in every game and have to take lots of hooking penalties with their lack of speed. Time for them to retire, become the Canucks hall of famers and for the team to move on. This is all about hockey and nothing about hate. I just wonder how many pro-twins fans would pay money to watch the twins play next season. I can only foresee more vacant seats at home games if they resign.

5 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

I would rather the Sedins go out on their own terms and not have the loudmouths of our fanbase bully them out of town.    As long as they are able to contribute as they have been why should they retire?  Because strangers say they should?   It's their career. They should get to retire when they are ready to.  And this city owes it to them to get off their backs.

Bully them out of town?

Must be the hate boogie man, at it again. 

This site needs a psychiatrist. 

Archived