The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop the Sedin Hate

Goat James

4 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Some of the top PK players are top-6.  Bergeron, Toews, Kopitar, Kesler, Couturier, etc.  

Horvat will always be a staple on the PK, same with Sutter.  A couple of depth players will also be on the PK, Gaunce was originally a centre, there's Nic Dowd.  After face-off, you don't need a centre to be on, the Canucks can throw out Eriksson, Granlund (albeit he was drafted as a centre), Archibald, maybe even Virtanen.  

There's more than enough players outside of the Sedins that can PK, without supposedly taxing the top-6.  In the case of Anaheim, they still have Getzlaf and Kesler out on the PK, and they're the top-2 centres of the team.  

You’re really stretching this one out.

Sure, great examples there, but do those 3rd lines consist of Sedin comparables? No.

I don't care what anybody says, the Sedin twins are the best duo to never win a cup. Man these 2 were unreal, even though I seen those crafty passes a lot, each one they made blew my mind. Talk about chemistry. Call me crazy but I'd take those Sedin years over a cup any day of the week. We are so lucky Burke did what he did and found a way to land both of them at #2 & #3.

I believe they can get a cup, I really do. If they stayed for 3 more years I think they could win 1 and retire. I believe if they believed it like I do they would take a hometown discount.

This off-season...

We don't get lucky in the lotto and wind up with pick 5 yet again.

We trade #5+Baertschi+Tanev+depth/late pick for #1, and draft Dahlin

In 3 years...

Virtanen Pettersson Boeser

Goldobin Horvat Dahlen

Granlund Gaudette Lind

Sedin Sedin Eriksson/Burrows?

Dahlin Tryamkin

Juolevi Stecher

Hutton Gudbranson

Demko

Not saying they will but I believe that roster has a lot of potential in 3 years.

I really want them to win a cup!

37 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

I don't care what anybody says, the Sedin twins are the best duo to never win a cup. Man these 2 were unreal, even though I seen those crafty passes a lot, each one they made blew my mind. Talk about chemistry. Call me crazy but I'd take those Sedin years over a cup any day of the week. We are so lucky Burke did what he did and found a way to land both of them at #2 & #3.

I believe they can get a cup, I really do. If they stayed for 3 more years I think they could win 1 and retire. I believe if they believed it like I do they would take a hometown discount.

This off-season...

In 3 years...

Goldobin Horvat Dahlen

Granlund Gaudette Lind

Dahlin Tryamkin

Juolevi Stecher

Hutton Gudbranson

Demko

Not saying they will but I believe that roster has a lot of potential in 3 years.

IT's a nice thought but its a pipe dream. It's being a fan that has that thought in your mind.

EVen if those prospects (where near half the forwards haven't even played an NHL game) make the roster DO well, let alone do well to be a winning team in a league with a lot of parity, let alone MAKE THE PLAYOFFS>..let alone win a round.

LET ALONE win the CUP!

In 3 years....

There's just no chance the Sedins win a cup in Vancouver.

None.

Demko is even the goalie there? Goalies are wildcards you never know. He's yet to play a NHL game. 

I know Matt Murray, but Crosby-Malkin-Kessel, and a bunch of guys that are the right fit is a different story.

All of our players look good there, but honestly what about the elite teams like Tampa, the Jets, the Preds in a few years and there killer prospects?

Or teams like the Blues, Flyers, Ducks and all there AMAZING high end prospects that are veen better then ours. (Yes those 3 teams are three of the ones that have better prospects then us but not by much)

We're now just going to be better then them with an entirely different core that soon?

It's a pipe dream.

The sedins will not win a cup here, if they do at all. Unfortunately.

Henrik wouldn't crack a cup winning line-up's roster anyway he hasn't scored in 50 games, can't keep up, takes bad penalties...etc, etc.

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

They have been criticized but I don't think they have been "crapped on". They are one dimensional players who were a little on the lighter side when they first came into the league. They got bounced around quite a bit and were given the handle the "Sedin Sisters".

You realize you wrote both those things back to back right. 

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

The issue is this whole "hate" nonsense.  Show me one person who "hates" the Sedins.  Show where criticism of their poor play is unwarranted.  Maybe call out "hate" for those who pathologically complain about guys like Edler and Gudbranson no matter how they play, but against the twins is ridiculous. They've earned the respect of everyone but nobody is above valid and substantive critique of their games.

You DON'T like a thread title lacking appropriate melodrama?..You'd better answer this promptly, I'm hanging on the EDGE of a cliff!!! Don't HATE the twins, my situation or the process!!!

7 hours ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

You make valid points Tall and I agree there may not be any takers.  They are def on the way out in respect to over all numbers but to say they dont care to win ?  Are you serious ?  They still produce better than half of the league.  I am not saying anything other than they are still relevant players in this league and definitely dont deserve the hate that is being cast on them by Canucks fans of all people.   

Sure we all want a power house it will take some doing in this day and age in the sport. Patience is all some of us have left lol.

By not caring to win I meant to chase the cup wherever that takes them. To be willing to die on the ice when they had the chance at it, not sit there stunned when a midget punches you 7 times in the head.  The way they disappeared in the late rounds of the playoffs is what I speak of. The lack of interest in the cup is what I’m pointing out. I’m ready for a change and hope to see the type of players that will die to win the cup here. 

Those days will have to come after The Sedins retire and after Edler and Eriksson move out. 

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

You’re really stretching this one out.

Sure, great examples there, but do those 3rd lines consist of Sedin comparables? No.

I'm just telling you a very viable way to have the Sedins as the 3rd line, but you're just hung up on the "they don't PK" notion and that supposedly no other teams have a 3rd line that doesn't PK.  Most team doesn't have the cap space for players like Henrik or Daniel to be on the 3rd line.  

FYI, the Sedins were pretty good on the PK back in the days.  Just they stopped doing it as AV wanted them to spend more ice time on offense rather than defending.  If needed, they probably could still go out on the PK, but there are just better players on the team for that role.  

8 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I'm just telling you a very viable way to have the Sedins as the 3rd line, but you're just hung up on the "they don't PK" notion and that supposedly no other teams have a 3rd line that doesn't PK.  Most team doesn't have the cap space for players like Henrik or Daniel to be on the 3rd line.  

FYI, the Sedins were pretty good on the PK back in the days.  Just they stopped doing it as AV wanted them to spend more ice time on offense rather than defending.  If needed, they probably could still go out on the PK, but there are just better players on the team for that role.  

I think more in terms of role than line numbers. Some believe your 3rd line has to be your shutdown line. They forget Kesler was both our 2nd line C and our shutdown line. Roles are determined by team makeup rather than line number and playing their players to their strengths.

11 hours ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

Are you suggesting we should have kept WD ?   I mean how can you not see the direction we are going in compared to when WD was at the helm ?   WD lacked any sort of real line combination ability. He did not have the ability to get what he wanted out of his players and was basically a band aid until Green was ready.   AV just wanted out of the volcano and bolted when he had the chance.

Are you SERIOUS?

Do you realise Boeser, Vanek and Gagner have score 121 points between them? 157 if you include Pouliot and MDZ. That is out of a total points of 493 points.

None of these players were available to WD, instead he had to roll with Skille, Chaput and Megna. (Players who were ridiculed on here) WIth Sbisa and Try they totalled 48 points in the whole season.

I can't believe you are seriously comparing the teams and amazingly expecting similar results and performances? Never the less look below and you will see just how well WD compares. Man, nobody could say he didn't get the best out of what he had.

My answer is yes we should have kept WD and given him some decent players.

You forget this was a coach:

Who had a record of 48-29-5 in his first season.

Whose team finished 2nd in the Pacific

Scored 101 points - 8th in the League.

Scored 242 goals - 6th in the League

Then Benning and Linden crossed into blunder land and drew the rug from beneath his feet, taking away half decent players and feeding him AHLers, plugs, first year rookies and prospects who had never played against men before.

Not only has Green started off with far better players, all the rookies have 2 more years experience and even players like Baertschi and Granlund are seasoned vets now. Compare that with at what stage they were at with WD. 

WD after he was shafted.

2015 -16  - 27 wins at game 70 and 11 OT/SO losses

2016-17  - 28 wins at game 70 and 9 OT/SO losses

Green

2017-18  - 25 wins at game 70 and 9 OT/SO losses.

Your lack of insight embarrasses you.It demonstrates a level of understanding imo seen normally only in the Vancouver media. And I say that as someone who normally agrees with you. :)

All the above is past now and I think we have a good man in TG, I have no doubt that barring another episode of incompetence by management, he will make us a contender soon. I always root for the coach as he has very little say in what tools he is given to do the job in hand. He tends always to be the man on the end of the rope as the lifeboat pulls away.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Are you SERIOUS?

Do you realise Boeser, Vanek and Gagner have score 121 points between them? 157 if you include Pouliot and MDZ. That is out of a total points of 493 points.

None of these players were available to WD, instead he had to roll with Skille, Chaput and Megna. (Players who were ridiculed on here) WIth Sbisa and Try they totalled 48 points in the whole season.

I can't believe you are seriously comparing the teams and amazingly expecting similar results and performances? Never the less look below and you will see just how well WD compares. Man, nobody could say he didn't get the best out of what he had.

My answer is yes we should have kept WD and given him some decent players.

You forget this was a coach:

Who had a record of 48-29-5 in his first season.

Whose team finished 2nd in the Pacific

Scored 101 points - 8th in the League.

Scored 242 goals - 6th in the League

Then Benning and Linden crossed into blunder land and drew the rug from beneath his feet, taking away half decent players and feeding him AHLers, plugs, first year rookies and prospects who had never played against men before.

Not only has Green started off with far better players, all the rookies have 2 more years experience and even players like Baertschi and Granlund are seasoned vets now. Compare that with at what stage they were at with WD. 

WD after he was shafted.

2015 -16  - 27 wins at game 70 and 11 OT/SO losses

2016-17  - 28 wins at game 70 and 9 OT/SO losses

Green

2017-18  - 25 wins at game 70 and 9 OT/SO losses.

Your lack of insight embarrasses you.It demonstrates a level of understanding imo seen normally only in the Vancouver media. And I say that as someone who normally agrees with you. :)

All the above is past now and I think we have a good man in TG, I have no doubt that barring another episode of incompetence by management, he will make us a contender soon. I always root for the coach as he has very little say in what tools he is given to do the job in hand. He tends always to be the man on the end of the rope as the lifeboat pulls away.

RH1mWJo.gif

On 3/13/2018 at 10:11 PM, Brock Botanen said:

This off-season...

In 3 years...

Goldobin Horvat Dahlen

Granlund Gaudette Lind

Dahlin Tryamkin

Juolevi Stecher

Hutton Gudbranson

Demko

I would like to see a real tear down, If the Canucks get #5 again then trade picks 1 through 7 to trade up to #1. Maybe that is extreme but I would give what it takes unless it is one of the top 5 prospects or anyone drafted in the last 5-6 years

Then trade a few roster players for more picks, Baerschi, Hutton, Tanev.......whoever is older than 26 and gets a bite of interest then trade them for picks/prospects.   

I am tired of a one toe in the water rebuild, Brain Burke made it happen in 1999 and I hope that Benning is ready to make it happen in 2018

17 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I would like to see a real tear down, If the Canucks get #5 again then trade picks 1 through 7 to trade up to #1. Maybe that is extreme but I would give what it takes unless it is one of the top 5 prospects or anyone drafted in the last 5-6 years

Then trade a few roster players for more picks, Baerschi, Hutton, Tanev.......whoever is older than 26 and gets a bite of interest then trade them for picks/prospects.   

I am tired of a one toe in the water rebuild, Brain Burke made it happen in 1999 and I hope that Benning is ready to make it happen in 2018

not a lot of interest for players on a soon to be last place team. Burke was working in a different era with different parameters. Benning is doing a good job especially the last two years drafting and trying to ice a team.but of course patience has never been this markets strong suit.

... and how are the Sedins doing without Boeser?

They are passengers now.  They can still be valuable complementary players, but aren't difference makers any more.  They have no one to complement, so they are invisible.

I don't want to see them play again because it detracts from what I remember them being.  Kind of like Joe Montana playing after he left the 49ers... you want to remember him when he was a star.

On 14/03/2018 at 6:11 AM, Brock Botanen said:

This off-season...

In 3 years...

Goldobin Horvat Dahlen

Granlund Gaudette Lind

Dahlin Tryamkin

Juolevi Stecher

Hutton Gudbranson

Demko

I love the Sedins like you and feel so thankful to them. But on a contending team, Henrik has no role, let alone as a Center. We will be lucky if he can eat up 10 minutes of ice time in the playoffs. We need a 4th line center that can actually play.

But I haven't given up hope that Daniel can continue to play for us and possibly win a cup with us. Daniel being a winger actually helps to prolong his career compared to Henrik. I notice Daniel using his body far more often than Hank and he is skating a lot better too. Or is it just me? One Sedin winning a cup is better than none.

In 2020:

Dahlen-Horvat-UFA (sign a UFA to a 10 million dollar contract or something. Not Kane, someone much better like Hossa)

Daniel-Pettersson-Boeser

Virtanen-Gaudette-Lind

Gadjovich-Sutter-Eriksson 

Dahlin-Tryamkin

Juolevi-Tanev

Edler-Gudbranson

Demko

Marky or an upgrade if possible

Cap wise this roster will be fine since Dahlen, Pettersson, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Dahline, Juolevi, and Demko will be on a cheap contracts.

Horvat is tied up at only 5.5 mil.

Boeser will get 7 mil.

Sutter and Eriksson combine for 10.5 mil in salary, which can be stomached.

Gud at 4 mil.

Daniel will sign for maybe 2-3 mil? Tryamkin at 4 mil? Tanev at 6 mil? Edler at 5 mil? 

Archived