The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eriksson done for the year with fractured rib. Will he ever find a place in VAN?

Adarsh Sant

Loui Eriksson  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, Green Building said:

That signing at the time was a little pricey and too much term, but that's what it takes to lure a FA to a struggling team sometimes. Who could have predicted that Eriksson would have regressed as much as he did? His drop off has been nothing short of astounding. 

sorry man, I expected it.

It was one of those terrible deals that take forever to come to be and the do not work out.

Reminds me of Potvin and Booth 

10 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

For 6 mill it is 

That’s the thing. Would he be a bad player at 3 million per year? No. But he makes double that. That’s money that can go to sign Boeser for over half a decade. It was a bad signing from the start, and his mediocre play is making it even worse. 

9 hours ago, Tiger Gino Brash Ryp said:

Haven’t teams/players mutually agree to terminate contracts before with no penalties? Thought I’ve heard of a few occasions like that. I doubt walks away from the money but just a thought, pay him under the table to walk away 

I'm guessing Eriksson wont mutually offer to waive the last $20 mill on his contract.

Kovalchuk walked away. And I understood he lost near $40 mill US?  But his salary in Russias, I also heard, is tax free. So he's making the same money.

Loui does not have the same options I would not think?

i know i'm a square peg in a round hole, but i like louie. not a fan of his contract but he is a good hockey player. imo, put him with a guy like pettersson, and he'll put up better offensive numbers. he is reliable defensively so green  plays him.  good luck louie. 

19 hours ago, Green Building said:

That signing at the time was a little pricey and too much term, but that's what it takes to lure a FA to a struggling team sometimes. Who could have predicted that Eriksson would have regressed as much as he did? His drop off has been nothing short of astounding. 

I don't think the struggling team has anything to do with it... Im sure there was multiple teams offering near that 6 year 6aav to Loui at the time. He had a huge seasons and was #1 on the free agent list or #2 after lucic. 

Many guys got contracts like that. 

Its too bad it has panned out like this. 

Despite some of our fan's preoccupation with points imo we will miss Loui, he is a damned hard worker. As I said on another thread he blocked 30 shots  - highest amongst forwards.

He has been moved around a lot and that doesn't help a new player to settle in.

35 minutes ago, combover said:

OH WAs he playing this year I hadn’t noticed him.

worst contract in the NHL and Hes all ours for another 4 seasons. 

Hope he doesn’t mentor the kids and explain the art of  his on ice disappearing act.

Not totally the worst contract but one of them. There was a few horrible contracts given that year. Lucic 7x7, Shaw 6x6, I know there is another one as well. Point being, at least 3 other  GM's got caught in the wonderlust. I bet that they would all ask for a do over. At least Erickson is serviceable, Shaw is slow and horrible, Lucic looks like a caveman in today's game. I think you could eat half of Loui's contract and trade him away for a mid round pick. I think that or have him as the 6mil 4th liner are the only options. 

3 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i know i'm a square peg in a round hole, but i like louie. not a fan of his contract but he is a good hockey player. imo, put him with a guy like pettersson, and he'll put up better offensive numbers. he is reliable defensively so green  plays him.  good luck louie. 

I'm with you Joe

He does a lot of things right. He just isn't scoring.

14 hours ago, TheRick said:

According to https://www.capfriendly.com/players/loui-eriksson, Eriksson's NMC becomes a NTC next season so that should mean that he can be placed on waivers and sent to minors if no one claims him. How much will The Canucks save in Cap space next season if Loui Eriksson gets sent down to the minors?

you only save league minimum +375k to bury a guy in the minors. 

18 minutes ago, cbdoubleu said:

What happens when Eriksson costs us a spot to keep a young player around like Goldobin

thats only going to be an issue when/if Goldy learns to play without the puck 

13 hours ago, lmm said:

sorry man, I expected it.

It was one of those terrible deals that take forever to come to be and the do not work out.

Reminds me of Potvin and Booth 

That's ok, I don't know what you mean by "take forever to come to be", though.

13 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i don't think it's that big of a surprise.. look at his linemates in boston vs his linemates in vancouver.. he's playing with stars in their prime vs sedins in their twilight or whomever he's playing with no named Bo.. look at his linemates in boston.. they are making whoever's playing with them look like a star in this league

@Jimmy McGill Tried you in this as well regarding Eriksson's opportunity and deployment but that fell apart...

He did have different linemates in Boston, no doubt. And when he wasn't playing with guys on the 4th line he was still struggling so they moved him there where he would at least be utilized for his defensive strengths. I mean, last year he played almost half the season with the Twins, and was also on PP1 and PP2. Can't say that isn't opportunity, but there's a case to be made that the Sedins and Horvat aren't better PP producers than his linemates were in Boston.  

I feel like Eriksson is a true Canuck.

Guy has some of the worst luck I've ever seen.

Own-goal in game 1 in this jersey.  Never had a chance lol.

Meh, I don't give a ship about his contract anymore - the guy has grown on me.  Acceptance.  Benning needs to keep adding volumes of ELC and RFA cheap flexibility and will be able to work around that contract (all teams tend to have one of them...)

Archived