The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eriksson done for the year with fractured rib. Will he ever find a place in VAN?

Adarsh Sant

Loui Eriksson  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The thing about being a witness, is that one can't necessarily choose to witness something, as much as they can......I forgot where I was going with this point.

Yes, never be a witness again. I concur.

True, but you can choose to talk about it. The RCMP never put a gun to my head, they simply said that if I didn't testify the guy would walk because nobody else had the balls to do it. He ended up going to jail for a long time, and deservedly so.  

Eriksson, on the other hand, probably won't be gong to jail for his contract. I like to remain on the positive side if I can, and hope he does something good with some fresh faces next season.

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

True, but you can choose to talk about it. The RCMP never put a gun to my head, they simply said that if I didn't testify the guy would walk because nobody else had the balls to do it. He ended up going to jail for a long time, and deservedly so.  

Eriksson, on the other hand, probably won't be gong to jail for his contract. I like to remain on the positive side if I can, and hope he does something good with some fresh faces next season.

We are all witnessing the Eriksson larceny.

5 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Damn. I can say I've never had to testify in a court of law. Skipped out on jury duty when I was 18.

Good on you for making the right decision, even though I can only imagine the challenges who faced doing so.  

I'm on the fence with him, but it's not my money. All I can do is hope he has a quick and complete recovery, and hope he returns with renewed purpose next season. He did look great against Boston.

I have said this before , Loui is a role player and is only as good as his line mates. When he is with the right center he will produce. His NMC turns into a NTC next year and he is movable if needed. I think his deal is front loaded so teams trying to get to the cap would want him.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Damn. I can say I've never had to testify in a court of law. Skipped out on jury duty when I was 18.

Good on you for making the right decision, even though I can only imagine the challenges who faced doing so.  

I'm on the fence with him, but it's not my money. All I can do is hope he has a quick and complete recovery, and hope he returns with renewed purpose next season. He did look great against Boston.

Thanks, never really crossed my mind not to do it. It's not anything I'm worried about in the slightest. It was an interesting experience looking him in the eyes after explaining to the court what happened and saying "Yes, your Honour, it was him". I almost felt bad for the guy, he had a terrible, and likely court appointed, lawyer. But then I remembered he was a piece of $&!# so I never felt bad at all. It was kind of surreal sitting and chatting with the cops outside the courtroom before trial when all of a sudden this shackled monster gets perp walked right passed me. I had already ID'd the guy prior to this, but when the cops said "there he goes" I was like "What the &^@#? That guy's a brick $&!#house!" It was weird. But hey, sometimes the system works, other times it doesn't. And at no time whatsoever was I even remotely close to needing witness relocation, so there's that.

Just like our prospects, I'm cautiously optimistic with Loui. I don't expect too much, and since he's a Nuck I'll be happy with whatever he offers. Hopefully there will be some offensive output improvement, though.

5 hours ago, Li'l Fra said:

Just another muffin chucker. His shot sucks. Seriously, you are in your early 30s, you are not an old man, hit the gym and then go practice your shot. WTF? What's the problem? What's the excuse?

They should have told him to get a hair cut.

4 hours ago, Green Building said:

I completely agree with you, but there's still one thing about Goldy that drives me absolutely nuts, and it happened twice over the last 2-3 games, lazy no-effort passes that result in turnovers going the other way, once when he was last man back. Can't get away with that in the NHL, but I'm sure Green has passed that along to him. Since January ish he has been much improved.

Hasn't he learned that from our "veteran leadership"

4 hours ago, Green Building said:

That's ok, I don't know what you mean by "take forever to come to be", though.

@Jimmy McGill Tried you in this as well regarding Eriksson's opportunity and deployment but that fell apart...

He did have different linemates in Boston, no doubt. And when he wasn't playing with guys on the 4th line he was still struggling so they moved him there where he would at least be utilized for his defensive strengths. I mean, last year he played almost half the season with the Twins, and was also on PP1 and PP2. Can't say that isn't opportunity, but there's a case to be made that the Sedins and Horvat aren't better PP producers than his linemates were in Boston.  

You quoted Bloodyknucklehead 2 spots below quoting me. He says Loui said 1 year earlier he would come here. 

I seem to recall fans and maybe reporters wanting him here while he was still in Dallas.

maybe I should have said telegraphed, that sound better 

On 3/1/2018 at 1:18 PM, Green Building said:

That signing at the time was a little pricey and too much term, but that's what it takes to lure a FA to a struggling team sometimes. Who could have predicted that Eriksson would have regressed as much as he did? His drop off has been nothing short of astounding. 

He was a star when he played in Dallas, now he is AHL caliber and is just collecting his paycheque in Vancouver. His contract in Vancouver is compensating for the time he played great in Dallas and wasn't paid much. Its just too bad it had to be Vancouver that had to pay him and not some other team.

15 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

He was a star when he played in Dallas, now he is AHL caliber and is just collecting his paycheque in Vancouver. His contract in Vancouver is compensating for the time he played great in Dallas and wasn't paid much. Its just too bad it had to be Vancouver that had to pay him and not some other team.

Way she goes. He had a couple off seasons here and there along the way, but oh well.

It's remarkable how challenged his puck/stick handling appears to be. His anticipation and positional play are very solid but I really am astounded by the pucks, passes and plays that die on Loui's tape. On the bright side, I guess his value as a vet who knows how to prepare daily and play through the static is what this team really needs during the rebuild. 

You know I wonder if the canucks shut him down to not risk further injury cause they intend to try and move him in the off season or buy him out...? 

Buying him out would be pretty extreme cause they wouldn’t be saving too much based on the way his contract is structured 

13 hours ago, billabong said:

You know I wonder if the canucks shut him down to not risk further injury cause they intend to try and move him in the off season or buy him out...? 

Buying him out would be pretty extreme cause they wouldn’t be saving too much based on the way his contract is structured 

If we bought him out it would only save $500k in cap space per year over the next 3 years and then save 2.5 million in the final year. However, we would then have a 500k cap hit for an additional 4 years after that when we would like be a better team and in need of cap space.

In short, we only save a measley $2 million of his remaining $24 million and Get stuck with some cap burden over the next 8 years.

I thought maybe he could be traded with retained salary for Jason Spezza (24 points 7.5 million cap hit). But because of NMC and NTC it would never happen.

There should be one day a year dedicated to whinging about LE's contract. We just have to stop referencing the $6m figure every time we talk about LE. What is LE like on the ice should be the only consideration. Save the $6m whining for 'LE  contract whinge day'. As @canucklehead44 pointed out, there are no clever things that can done with his contract. Separate the two. LE is a valuable on ice veteran. LE's contract sucks.

Yes, I understand there is irony in this post.

Archived