The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jussi Jokinen | #36 | LW/RW

-Vintage Canuck-

* Disclaimer.  This is a copy of a post in a different thread. But it illustrates the depth position / what it really means?

We have some 3rd and 4th line depth would describe it better? Motte, Goldobin, Boucher? If they want to be here it is up to them! 

Which we can choose to insulate, give a roster spot? Or let them earn a spot. Which is exactly what Jim wants them to do & the position they will be put in. And have the fallback of starting some young players in Utica if it falls somewhere in between?  ie the rookie plays about as well as someone like Motte, so Motte is spared waivers.

Baer Bo Brock

Danny Hank Petterson

Granlund Sutter Eriksson

Leipsic Gaudette Jake

Goldobin Gaunce Motte **

* Gagner a casualty > JB has put Burmistrov, Higgins, Prust, Rodin, Wiercioch etc on waivers, believe he will put whom deserves to be there in Utica.

** By natural attrition there will be at least one, if not two guys on the IR. Bingo, Gagner & Motte fit.

Really, we can still also sign Kane or Vanek. And still have the competitive camp we want.  Where, as above, if it is really a grey area as to whom jas earned a spot? Pettersson & Gaudette could start in Utica.

Having some, Gagner, Boucher or otherwise, not make our team is a great problem! What we should be planning for? We are actually right where we want to be, not with too many bodies..

33 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

...how about now...? lol. I do think he is worth a 1 mil contract. Nothing more. But 3 points tonight and showing chemistry with Horvat. Nice to see. I wonder if he is still good at shoot outs? He used to be the best in the league back in the day with Dallas.

I don't disagree but I would way rather give those minutes with Horvat to someone like Baer or Granlund - a young player who can likely bring a lot more speed and future.   However, to say Jussi has played poorly since becoming a Canuck would be patently false.

• Cheers 1

8 points in 11 games with Vancouver so far. How sustainable would that be? My guess is that he'd be pushed out of a top 9 role next year probably, but it's interesting to see random veterans coming to Vancouver and actually succeeding for once.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've really liked the way Jussi fit in with the team!! Can't do wrong to sign a proven veteran for just $1M. To me, he offers more intangibles than Vanek... can play either wing and centre, grear at faceoffs and shootouts... he didn't seem that slow at all...  always in the position to score goals!

Jokinen isn't quite Vanek, but I saw a lot of the same smarts in his game. His experience shows and he plays a very smart game. I wouldn't mind him on a cheap one-year deal for some experience on the team.

• Upvote 4

Loved how it was expected that he would ride the pressbox for the rest of the season after being dealt here in favor of the younger players, but once he got into the lineup, he never came out because he was responsible, versatile, and like @-AJ- referenced, displayed in game smarts that allowed him to be successful. 

Would love to just have him around to help mentor the kids in special teams play and in the shootouts.  We sorely lack someone who can be creative in that department.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Loved how it was expected that he would ride the pressbox for the rest of the season after being dealt here in favor of the younger players, but once he got into the lineup, he never came out because he was responsible, versatile, and like @-AJ- referenced, displayed in game smarts that allowed him to be successful. 

Would love to just have him around to help mentor the kids in special teams play and in the shootouts.  We sorely lack someone who can be creative in that department.

Totally agree.  If we are going to sign a UFA vet. why not someone we already have?  He's clearly knows how to be a pro, considering his talents are still evident at his age.  

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Mackcanuck said:

Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports 4m

Agent Todd Diamond tells me that the #Canucks have informed him that they will not be making a contract offer to ufa Jussi Jokinen.

...but...but.... asset management!!! 

44 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Agent Todd Diamond tells me that the #Canucks have informed him that they will not be making a contract offer to ufa Jussi Jokinen.

A little disappointed, but I'm sure we'll make do without him.

46 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Who aren't we making a contract offer to? :ph34r:

• 7 months later...