The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ron Francis out as Hurricanes GM, named President of Hockey Operations

Hurricanes to conduct a search for a new general manager:

RALEIGH, NC - Tom Dundon, Owner and Governor of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that Ron Francis will transition into a new role with the team as president of hockey operations. The Hurricanes will conduct a full search for a new general manager, who will report directly to Dundon.

"Since I took control of the team, I've had a good chance to be around and assess the operations," said Dundon. "There are a lot of good people working in the organization, but I feel that a change in direction is needed when it comes to hockey personnel decisions.

Ron is a smart and talented hockey man. I am glad that he will continue to be a part of the team, serving in this new role."

Francis, 55, is in his 12th season in management with the Hurricanes and has served as executive vice president and general manager for four years. Prior to his appointment as general manager, the Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., native served the team's vice president of hockey operations. He has also performed duties as the Hurricanes' director of player development, assistant general manager and assistant coach since retiring as a player on Sept. 14, 2005.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/ron-francis-named-president-of-hockey-operations/c-296721518

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It doesn't seem like a promotion for Ron Francis since the new GM will report to the owner, not the president of hockey operations.

Yeah..he should get really suspicious if they hand him some bizarre outfit, that looks like a rare bird, Hurricane-mascot!

41 minutes ago, Monty said:

Huh. Thought he was doing a fine job as GM.

Bill Peters has been complaining about the roster for some time and requiring changes.  He snapped earlier this year about how the group lacked character saying they've been together for a while and that there's too much complacency.  Goaltending has been a problem too - Lack then Darling.  They have a lot of young drafted players but the team is just spinning their wheels.

44 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Ah, the good ol' I'm not going to fire you so I'll promote you instead. Taken right out of Philadelphia's playbook.

I thought that was FLa.

Talon up, Roe in, Roe went all fancy stats, Roe out, Talon back down stairs

Who is Dundon and does he know more hockey than Francesco / Wang?

4 minutes ago, lmm said:

I thought that was FLa.

Talon up, Roe in, Roe went all fancy stats, Roe out, Talon back down stairs

Who is Dundon and does he know more hockey than Francesco / Wang?

Florida works too. I just thought of Paul Holmgren and the Flyers when reading the thread title.

I don't know much about Dundon other than he's a new owner. I would hope he'd know more about hockey than Wang because Wang didn't exactly set the bar too high. I think Francesco at least has an idea about the hockey side of things. He did an audio interview with Sportsnet (or CBC, can't really remember).

2 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Benning better be on the new GM like a fly to $&!#. Canucks have too many forwards, Hurricanes have too many defenceman.

Goldobin + Gaunce + 2nd for Hanifin

That is such an awful proposal. If Benning where to propose this then that's a good way to lose a contact.

1 minute ago, Xbox said:

That is such an awful proposal. If Benning where to propose this then that's a good way to lose a contact.

Goldobin is a lot like Nick Jensen (remember him), he's enigmatic, inconsistent and lazy away from the puck. Gaunce is a hard worker, but not the highest skill guy around, his ceiling is likely that of a Paul Gaustad.

Hanifin scored 22 points as a rookie D. 29 points his second year, and is on pace for 35 this season.

2nd rounds off the talent gap. Hurricanes get a high 2nd round pick, a solid reliable and defensively responsible center, and a skilled winger project in Goldobin, who chances are will be beat out for a job next training camp, and realistically is more of an "eastern conference type of player".

3 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Goldobin is a lot like Nick Jensen (remember him), he's enigmatic, inconsistent and lazy away from the puck. Gaunce is a hard worker, but not the highest skill guy around, his ceiling is likely that of a Paul Gaustad.

Hanifin scored 22 points as a rookie D. 29 points his second year, and is on pace for 35 this season.

2nd rounds off the talent gap. Hurricanes get a high 2nd round pick, a solid reliable and defensively responsible center, and a skilled winger project in Goldobin, who chances are will be beat out for a job next training camp, and realistically is more of an "eastern conference type of player".

They could command a much better deal for their future #1D. There's nothing in that package that is elite or has elite potential so Carolina hangs up the phone and deletes Jim's number. If we didn't have a lucrative pick then proposing Goldobin + Gaunce + 1st wouldn't even do it. We aquired Goldobin by trading a 3rd liner and we exposed Gaunce to Vegas who opted to choose Sbisa instead, a player who is much worse and older than Hanifin. They are only utility players and a 2nd round pick isn't even close to bridging the gap. 

5 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Hurricanes were trying to move picks at the draft to get players - doubtful they'd want more picks.  They are also not going to be trading Hanifin for quantity.

Hanifin was the Hurricane's All-Star this year. 

Archived