The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ron Francis out as Hurricanes GM, named President of Hockey Operations

22 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Florida works too. I just thought of Paul Holmgren and the Flyers when reading the thread title.

I don't know much about Dundon other than he's a new owner. I would hope he'd know more about hockey than Wang because Wang didn't exactly set the bar too high. I think Francesco at least has an idea about the hockey side of things. He did an audio interview with Sportsnet (or CBC, can't really remember).

Dundon is a business guy with auto Finance and golf courses.

Been owner since January.

This looks like a recipe for more failure

Go-Canes-go

Just now, lmm said:

Dundon is a business guy with auto Finance and golf courses.

Been owner since January.

This looks like a recipe for more failure

Go-Canes-go

I agree, I don't think this will end well for the Hurricanes. 

1 minute ago, mll said:

Hurricanes were trying to move picks at the draft to get players - doubtful they'd want more picks.  They are also not going to be trading Hanifin for quantity.

Hanifin was the Hurricane's All-Star this year. 

new GM, new direction. Who can say what they will try next

Just now, Xbox said:

They could command a much better deal for their future #1D. There's nothing in that package that is elite or has elite potential so Carolina hangs up the phone and deletes Jim's number. If we didn't have a lucrative pick then proposing Goldobin + Gaunce + 1st wouldn't even do it. We aquired Goldobin by trading a 3rd liner and we exposed Gaunce to Vegas who opted to choose Sbisa instead, a player who is much worse and older than Hanifin. They are only utility players and a 2nd round pick isn't even close to bridging the gap. 

I never said it was equal value, but then I didn't exactly spell it out either. I suppose it would depend on who is retained for the GM position, but if it ends up being someone with not a ton of experience, it's a potential opportunity to take advantage of someone not necessarily seeing things the way we as fans see it.

I mean, look at McPhee and the Forsberg/Erat trade. Everyone apparently except for McPhee knew it was a bad deal, yet here is McPhee at the helm of an expansion team challenging for the President's Trophy in their first season.

We almost never truly know what those in the hockey world in the positions they are know how or what they think of certain players, or how they rank the skills and/or intangible aspects of their games that they bring to the table.

Look at Pierre Dorion, he got ROASTED in that 3 way trade where they picked up Duchene, there's a good chance he doesn't re-sign with the team beyond next season.

Just now, VanGnome said:

I never said it was equal value, but then I didn't exactly spell it out either. I suppose it would depend on who is retained for the GM position, but if it ends up being someone with not a ton of experience, it's a potential opportunity to take advantage of someone not necessarily seeing things the way we as fans see it.

I mean, look at McPhee and the Forsberg/Erat trade. Everyone apparently except for McPhee knew it was a bad deal, yet here is McPhee at the helm of an expansion team challenging for the President's Trophy in their first season.

We almost never truly know what those in the hockey world in the positions they are know how or what they think of certain players, or how they rank the skills and/or intangible aspects of their games that they bring to the table.

Look at Pierre Dorion, he got ROASTED in that 3 way trade where they picked up Duchene, there's a good chance he doesn't re-sign with the team beyond next season.

Pierre Dorion single handedly saved Joe Sakic's job doing that so I can see where you're coming from. Hurricanes still have their now Ex-GM in the organization still so he'd have a chance to veto. As for McPhee, I think that trade was different. It sounded like his job was on the line regardless so it was a chance he was willing to take. Forsberg wasn't going to play that season and if McPhee didn't have a future with Washington he probably didn't care to mortgage it either. Hurricanes have a brand new GM.

30 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Pierre Dorion was under pressure from the worst owner in the NHL.  I would love to see what he would be able to do under an owner who gives a damn about icing a real hockey team.  He's drafted well but Melnyk is too much of a problem for anyone to overcome.

Hanifan gets moved for something much better than the equivalent of Raymond, Ballard, and a pick in the event he is traded.

2 hours ago, VanGnome said:

Benning better be on the new GM like a fly to $&!#. Canucks have too many forwards, Hurricanes have too many defenceman.

Goldobin + Gaunce + 2nd for Hanifin

Are they hiring Milbury?! 

I'll be that figurehead GM, #$%^.  Sign me up.

"Yes sir, great proposal."

"Of coarse, why didn't I think of that!"

"There is no limit to what this team can accomplish, and we owe it all to you my liege."

"If it's all right, I'd like to name my first born son after you."

13 hours ago, VanGnome said:

Benning better be on the new GM like a fly to $&!#. Canucks have too many forwards, Hurricanes have too many defenceman.

Goldobin + Gaunce + 2nd for Hanifin

READS FIRST PARAGRAPH - "Now here's a guy who's thinking straight."

READS SECOND PARAGRAPH - "...I wish to retract."

More reasonable targets would be Haydn Fleury, Roland McKeown and Luke Martin.

The Hurricanes have sort have been on the path of the Jets. Basically accumulating good young players and assets, until they got lucky with a young player breaking through, and a goaltender finally taking over.

Thing is, Jets hit paydirt with Scheifele and Hellebuyck, and got lucky in the lottery with Laine, and are now contending. Francis has made a series of moves that all look great on paper. And he has particularly been good at finding good young D-men (could use some of that in Vancouver!). But for whatever reason, he has not been able to unearth elite talent. And of course, the goaltending has been an absolute mess.

I can see why the owner wants to change things up, but at the same time the hand-on egomaniacal style he seems to conduct himself with does not bode well. Trying to rush things simply does not work.

36 minutes ago, D-Money said:

READS FIRST PARAGRAPH - "Now here's a guy who's thinking straight."

READS SECOND PARAGRAPH - "...I wish to retract."

More reasonable targets would be Haydn Fleury, Roland McKeown and Luke Martin.

You mean Roland McKeown that we could have drafted ourselves with our own 2nd round pick that was instead traded to LA for Linden Vey, who ended up drafting McKeown and then traded him to Carolina in the Sekera trade in 2015?

9 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

You mean Roland McKeown that we could have drafted ourselves with our own 2nd round pick that was instead traded to LA for Linden Vey, who ended up drafting McKeown and then traded him to Carolina in the Sekera trade in 2015?

Yup.

All of that is meaningless. We need defensive depth. McKeown is a promising young player.

Archived