The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(PROPOSAL) Taking advantage of Minnesota's cap situation.

I believe Minnesota is up to the cap and have one important RFA in Matthew Dumba to sign. 

A few things I thought about this morning:

We could pull of a trade that involves taking in Tyler Ennis (4.6 AAv for the next 2 years) as a cap dump so they can sign Dumba. Along with Ennis can be a third rounder (they have 3) or if it really means that much to sign Dumba, we can take their 1st. Another thought I had was to try and get Dumba's rights from them. We could offer them a Second round pick along with a defenceman prospect in Brisebois, Chatfield, or Hutton. 

Either one of these trades will help as we enter the offseason. We either address the need of another first rounder or address the need of a top2/top4 defenceman. 

Trading for Dumba does make Tanev movable as he is younger and less fragile. Maybe trading Tanev for another 1st/2nd/ or prospect could happen. 

Thoughts?

I’ve been on the get dumba train for the last two months. 

The cost has been set as a mid 1st round pick plus multiple 2nds. (Hamonic, Reinhart, Hamilton) 

but if we are also willing to eat cap and add other value me should be able to get him a bit cheaper. 

Baertschi + stecher + 2nd for dumba + Ennis

I've been saying we should take advantage of Minnesota's situation since last year before the expansion draft. Taking back Ennis' contract would be perfect for us as he only has 1 year left past this one at a high cap hit, which we can fit in with our number of ELC's (Boeser, Pettersson, Juolevi, Gaudette, etc.) Provide them with a cheap roster replacement for Ennis and we take back a couple of picks. This is one of those things that makes way too much sense to me to not have it actually happen:

To MIN:

Granlund 

To VAN:

Ennis

3rd 2018 (VGK)

3rd 2019

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The cost has been set as a mid 1st round pick plus multiple 2nds. (Hamonic, Reinhart, Hamilton) 

but if we are also willing to eat cap and add other value me should be able to get him a bit cheaper. 

After posting this I realized that we could somehow just add both trades and do both. I wouldn't mind losing stecher as Duba is a RH D as well. This also addresses their lack of 2nds which I wouldn't mind losing either.

Baertschi is only biggest trading chip next to Tanev, so I'd prefer something like:

Granlund + stecher + 2nd for dumba + Ennis.  I know that's an obvious downgrade from Baertschi from a scoring perspective, but given the brother connection, the fact Granlund is a better utility type player and is cheaper than Baertschi with both of them upcoming RFA's, plus Stetcher's potential, I could see them biting.

I'd hate to lose Stecher since I see lots of upside to his game, and I also dislike giving up on Granlund who I feel is a far better player than we saw this season.  However, we need to rebuild our d sooner than later and would absolutely love to see a guy like Dumba on the team.

51 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

They are not going to move Dumba.  He is their highest scoring D with 37 points. They gave up Alex Tuch to be able to keep their top-4 intact re expansion.

Also their owner last year was saying that they lack size - getting rid of Ennis certainly but not adding Baer and Stecher.  They might actually buy Ennis out - Vanek comes off their books and the buyout cost for Ennis is lower.  They will probably try and trade Foligno too.  They want room for Kunin and Greenway.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

They are not going to move Dumba.  He is their highest scoring D with 37 points. They gave up Alex Tuch to be able to keep their top-4 intact re expansion.

Sutters got 47 points. Spurgeon has 36 points in 9 less games played than dumba. 

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Also their owner last year was saying that they lack size - getting rid of Ennis certainly but not adding Baer and Stecher.  They might actually buy Ennis out - Vanek comes off their books and the buyout cost for Ennis is lower.  They will probably try and trade Foligno too.  They want room for Kunin and Greenway.

I expect them to make room. But gradually. They still need to fight hard for a cup while they have some really good players in there prime. 

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sutters got 47 points. Spurgeon has 36 points in 9 less games played than dumba. 

I expect them to make room. But gradually. They still need to fight hard for a cup while they have some really good players in there prime. 

You are right - I missed Suter and didn't look at games played.

They have one of the highest scoring Ds in the league - a few weeks ago it was between Minnesota, Vegas and Nashville.  I don't think they want to change that. Stecher doesn't bring enough to replace Dumba.  If they want to compete reason more so to hold on to Dumba.  

Suter looks great but Parise is not the same player as a few years ago - his skating is problematic since his back surgery.  Maybe he can fix it in the off-season. 

They are a weird team this year.  They used to be fast and now they look generally slow and can't seem to matchup well against the faster teams.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

You are right - I missed Suter and didn't look at games played.

They have one of the highest scoring Ds in the league - a few weeks ago it was between Minnesota, Vegas and Nashville.  I don't think they want to change that. Stecher doesn't bring enough to replace Dumba.  If they want to compete reason more so to hold on to Dumba.  

I don’t think they’d want to but I think Dumba is going to be looking for 5.5+.hamilton would be a good comparable.  Which would get them a really expensive top 4. (Over 22 million).  And he’s a type of guy that teams could send an offer sheet. I didn’t think bos would move dougie but when it came down to cap pressure (and some internal things) they were willing to move on. 

1 minute ago, mll said:

Suter looks great but Parise is not the same player as a few years ago - his skating is problematic since his back surgery.  Maybe he can fix it in the off-season. 

Hes looking really slow although he’s been a bit better since he son was born last month  but he’s not a 7.5 million guy and he’s locked up till 2025 

1 minute ago, mll said:

They are a weird team this year.  They used to be fast and now they look generally slow and can't seem to matchup well against the faster teams.  

I agree. It’s a good thing staal is playing like he’s 25 again. I could see baertschi fitting in there. I do think stecher is a big drop from dumba but with Spurgeon, Brodin and Suter they are still quite strong. 

The one this is if dumba does become available. There would be some other teams willing to pay more than the offer I suggested. 

2 hours ago, HuisHamIsThis? said:

I believe Minnesota is up to the cap and have one important RFA in Matthew Dumba to sign. 

A few things I thought about this morning:

We could pull of a trade that involves taking in Tyler Ennis (4.6 AAv for the next 2 years) as a cap dump so they can sign Dumba. Along with Ennis can be a third rounder (they have 3) or if it really means that much to sign Dumba, we can take their 1st. Another thought I had was to try and get Dumba's rights from them. We could offer them a Second round pick along with a defenceman prospect in Brisebois, Chatfield, or Hutton. 

Either one of these trades will help as we enter the offseason. We either address the need of another first rounder or address the need of a top2/top4 defenceman. 

Trading for Dumba does make Tanev movable as he is younger and less fragile. Maybe trading Tanev for another 1st/2nd/ or prospect could happen. 

Thoughts?

Based on the projected cap for next year, 78 - 80 million, that will give them around 15 million to spend through the summer. They don't really need to do anything, they can sign Dumba and, if they needed a little extra space, they are probably better just buying out Ennis as that would save them about 2.5 million space for 2018 / 19 season and about 3.5 million for the following.

This might have made sense at the start of the year, but I can't see any reason for them to do this now.

If Dumba wants anything more than 5.5 a season. Minny is screwed. Zucker is going to want at least 5 a season. They have to think about Staals extension the following season and he is going to get PAID. I think Dumba is a very realistic option, as long as Ennis comes along. 

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Maybe this is the trade Tanev should be a part of....

Don't see the Wild having any kind of interest.

The Wild have one of the highest scoring D-corps in the league.  No reason for them to want and break that up.  They gave up Alex Tuch to Vegas to keep their Ds intact.  They have enough cap space to bring everyone back.  The cap is going up and they have the option to buy Ennis out.

Archived