The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Offseason Moves (Proposals)

Move #1: 

Try to acquire Julius Honka (DAL)

- relatively young, RHD, has a great offensive IQ for a dman.

- has fallen down the depth chart with Heiskanen and Klingberg ahead of him as PMD.

- I don’t see the fit for Goldobin on this team. And Travis has no trust in him whatsoever, so it may be time to cut bait with him and dangle him as a trade chip. He could fit well in Dallas as a playmaker on a line with Benn and Faksa. 

VAN: 

Julius Honka

DAL:

Nikolay Goldobin

Move #2: 

Move Multiple Dmen for futures at the Draft

- after watching this season, we all know his dcore sucks and needs a total revamping.

- I’ll be honest, I don’t think the Tanev trade will happen because I believe his injuries will be a deterrent to teams trying to acquire him and will ultimately drive down the acquisition cost. But I think if there’s any team that would be willing to part with their first for him, it would probably be Toronto.

- as for Hutton, obviously he doesn’t fit what Green looks for in a dman. Buffalo had interest in him during the deadline, so they could revisit this deal as we get closer to the draft. We all know Hutton’s out the door, take Fitzgerald and run. The added 5th is a sweetener due to Hutton’s bigger cap hit.

VAN:

2018 1st Rd Draft Pick

Andrew Nielsen

TOR: 

Chris Tanev

VAN:

Casey Fitzgerald

BUF:

Ben Hutton

2019 5th Rd Draft Pick

Edler - Gudbranson

Del Zotto - Honka

Juolevi - Stecher

Nielsen

Pouliot

Take Svechnikov with VAN’s pick (2-4) and take Woo / Bokk with TOR’s pick (24-26)

*or get the #1 pick and get our boy Dahlin

What do y’all think?

Not sure Dallas does that, as they can probably get more for Honka elsewhere.  But if they'd bite, I'd be all over that trade.

As for the others - I love the idea of stocking the d, but I'd be concerned that both Nielsen and Fitzgerald haven't done well with their development (In fact, statistically both regressed) so while still young prospects I'd be somewhat surprised if either actually amounted to a contributing NHL player. With this said, I'm only going off the stats and haven't seen either play. But even if they both became finge NHLers, that's not really what we need right now.  We have lots of lower to middle d players but we need to stock our D with high end potential players who, if they reach their ceiling, will provide scoring from the blueline. That's what we're missing, and I'm not sure either guy has that potential at all.

With that mentioned (and if I'm right about those two guys) I'd say we get too little back for Tanev.

To little for both Tanev and Hutton(+pick) and Honka is not going for Goldy alone. 

Tanev to Toronto makes a lot of sense but you'd want a 1st+ a guy like Dermott or Liljegrin.

Hutton should fetch at least a third round pick and Goldy maybe the same. My preference is to trade Tanev, Nilsson, Baer and Hutton this offseason. Play the young guys like Pettersson etc. in Utica and go for one more high draft pick as we transition our rookies into the Canucks lineup. My ideal season is to start with

Leipsic-Bo-Boeser

Sedins-Granlund

Gagner-Sutter-Eriksson

Goldy-Gaunce-Virtanen

Archibald

Edler-Guddy

Del Zotto-Stetcher

Pouliot-Biega

McEneny-UFA RD

Marky

Nilsson

At the trade deadline move out Edler or Del Zotto(whoever fetches more/if Edler waives), Gagner, Nilsson, any UFA signings and one of Gaunce or Granlund(whoever gets you more)

With 4 players out bring in the rookies

Leipsic-Bo-Boeser

Sedins-Sutter

Goldy-Pettersson-Eriksson

Virtanen-Gaudette-Grany/Gaunce

Edler/DelZotto-Stetcher

Juolevi-Guddy

Pouliot-Biega

McEneny

Marky

Demko

^not to mention any traded for players/high 2018 draft pick^

One more half season of poor play and then watch an influx of young talented NHL ready players.

21 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

To little for both Tanev and Hutton(+pick) and Honka is not going for Goldy alone. 

Tanev to Toronto makes a lot of sense but you'd want a 1st+ a guy like Dermott or Liljegrin.

Hutton should fetch at least a third round pick and Goldy maybe the same. My preference is to trade Tanev, Nilsson, Baer and Hutton this offseason. Play the young guys like Pettersson etc. in Utica and go for one more high draft pick as we transition our rookies into the Canucks lineup. My ideal season is to start with

Leipsic-Bo-Boeser

Sedins-Granlund

Gagner-Sutter-Eriksson

Goldy-Gaunce-Virtanen

Archibald

Edler-Guddy

Del Zotto-Stetcher

Pouliot-Biega

McEneny-UFA RD

Marky

Nilsson

At the trade deadline move out Edler or Del Zotto(whoever fetches more/if Edler waives), Gagner, Nilsson, any UFA signings and one of Gaunce or Granlund(whoever gets you more)

With 4 players out bring in the rookies

Leipsic-Bo-Boeser

Sedins-Sutter

Goldy-Pettersson-Eriksson

Virtanen-Gaudette-Grany/Gaunce

Edler/DelZotto-Stetcher

Juolevi-Guddy

Pouliot-Biega

McEneny

Marky

Demko

^not to mention any traded for players/high 2018 draft pick^

One more half season of poor play and then watch an influx of young talented NHL ready players.

i appreciate your sentiments and approach

no reaching here on what vancouver could do to ensure the transition continues

but i really really doubt this stand pat approach (except for gaudette, and i doubt goldy will make the team) will happen 

how will they sell any season tickets with that line up?

how has the d improved to provide some hope for that next season?

and i really think we need 1 goalie replaced

and i am pretty certain steps will be taken to replace dorsett's role in the line up

archie is fine as a place holder, but a step up in talent is needed for that role

i think your proposal is weak in that it really does not address the defense deficiencies on this team

canucks cannot endure another season with effectively the same d corp

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i appreciate your sentiments and approach

no reaching here on what vancouver could do to ensure the transition continues

but i really really doubt this stand pat approach (except for gaudette, and i doubt goldy will make the team) will happen 

how will they sell any season tickets with that line up?

how has the d improved to provide some hope for that next season?

and i really think we need 1 goalie replaced

and i am pretty certain steps will be taken to replace dorsett's role in the line up

archie is fine as a place holder, but a step up in talent is needed for that role

i think your proposal is weak in that it really does not address the defense deficiencies on this team

canucks cannot endure another season with effectively the same d corp

You need assets on D if you wish to improve it and that comes through trading guys. This rebuild could go on a lot longer if we keep throwing money at patches such as Del Zotto. You cant re-haul a whole D corps in one offseason. This team needs more high draft picks and one-two more years with a piss poor defence wont hurt. Especially if you can get some good d prospects through trades/ the draft. For example.

Trade Tanev for Liljegrin+pick(1st)

Trade Baertschi+Hutton for a good D prospect. maybe Fabbro? Honka?

We will be picking at the top of this draft and most likely will draft a D such as Dahlin, Boqvist, Bouchard or Hughes. Also have the potential to draft another top D prospect with our second such as Miller, Merkley or Sammuelsson. Plus any picks we get for Tanev.

What Im trying to say is our future D-corps isn't going to be magically changed in one offseason as most hope and it will have to be done through the draft. 

8 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

You need assets on D if you wish to improve it and that comes through trading guys. This rebuild could go on a lot longer if we keep throwing money at patches such as Del Zotto. You cant re-haul a whole D corps in one offseason. This team needs more high draft picks and one-two more years with a piss poor defence wont hurt. Especially if you can get some good d prospects through trades/ the draft. For example.

Trade Tanev for Liljegrin+pick(1st)

Trade Baertschi+Hutton for a good D prospect. maybe Fabbro? Honka?

We will be picking at the top of this draft and most likely will draft a D such as Dahlin, Boqvist, Bouchard or Hughes. Also have the potential to draft another top D prospect with our second such as Miller, Merkley or Sammuelsson. Plus any picks we get for Tanev.

What Im trying to say is our future D-corps isn't going to be magically changed in one offseason as most hope and it will have to be done through the draft. 

well in your view it is largely still to be drafted

or very young talent acquired in a trade

so you are prepared to wait the 5 plus years for this young d to fully develop?

i think since they take longer to develop more should have been drafted in the same time frame as demko

since goalies also take time to develop and demko is within a year of being ready

no young d are yet

so a bit of a backwards way to go about a rebuild if you wish to rely so heavily on the draft for your future d

40 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

well in your view it is largely still to be drafted

or very young talent acquired in a trade

so you are prepared to wait the 5 plus years for this young d to fully develop?

i think since they take longer to develop more should have been drafted in the same time frame as demko

since goalies also take time to develop and demko is within a year of being ready

no young d are yet

so a bit of a backwards way to go about a rebuild if you wish to rely so heavily on the draft for your future d

5 years... thats a little overkill. Every defensemen takes a different amount of time. Dahlin could step right in. Bouchard, Boqvist potentially need one more year, maybe 2. All depends on the player drafted and their deficiencies but if the Canucks drafted/ traded for young D this coming offseason and year they could compete in 2-3 years which is right when Bo and other forwards we have are entering their prime. We aren't talking about needing a bunch of D prospects either. Just one elite one(Dahlin) or a couple very good ones(Boqvist, Liljegrin etc.)

What would you do this offseason might I ask?

Archived